• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chevy axel question

cucvrus

I have a pair of 1986 K30 SRW 4:10 complete axles in PA. I removed them from a township truck. I would part with them for $$$$$. Bring a trailer get the M1010 complete body and the axle set while you are here. Good road trip. Package deal.

Ilikemtb999

Honestly $2500 for a good pair isn't too crazy. For that price I would want to open them both up, do a visual check and check backlash with a dial indicator. You can find cheaper if time is on your side. Once in a blue moon a K30 will hit a pick-n-pull yard, slightly more often a dually will. Trying to find a unicorn is easier than a cheap kingpin Dana 60.

This is how my axle costs broke down.
$800 for a used DRW GM kingpin Dana 60 with 4.10 gears out of a dually pickup.
$300 for new SRW hubs with rotors.
$100 for new bearings.

$200 for rear SRW 14 bolt FF with 4.10 gears and evil govloc.
$125 for another 14 bolt FF that had an open carrier (you need an open one for a Detroit locker)
$550 for a new Detroit locker

Grand total... $2,075.00

I could have spent less if I did not buy the axle with the govloc, but even trying to be thrifty I spent about $2000 and drove all over to pick up everything, then a few months later I took out the 4.10 gears and put in 4.88 gears.

The rear axle picture you posted is of a semi floater. A full floater will have a spindle and a hub. The drive flange of the axle bolts to the hub, and the axle supports no weight. A semi floating axle will have a single outboard bearing and the axle supports the vehicle weight. A dually rear axle is full floater.

I think the GMC 3/4 ton pickups and suburban had full floater 14 bolts (K2500), and the Chevy 3/4 ton K20 pickups and suburban had the semi floater 14 bolt rear ends.

A friend had a 1996 3/4 ton 454 burb with a full float 14b. Maybe it was engine dependent.

richingalveston

Depending on the years, GM had parts crunches. They could not get all the correct parts so the put what they could get on.
I believe this happened some in the 80's but a lot of the 90's trucks got axles heavier than they were supposed to because they ran out of the lighter duty ones. They could not stop the production line so the put the next closest thing on that was a size up (we hope).

My dad had a mid 90's chevy 3/4 ton srw that had the 3500 srw rear axle. It was a 454 3/4 ton 4x4 gasser. They told him before he bought it from the dealership that the axle was upgraded just because they were short of the others. They had 10 trucks on the lot that were the same.

richingalveston

to get my 6o and 14. I purchase a 1008 from the gov place and drove to Kansas picked it up, $2200 for the truck, $600 on the trip. parted a lot of it and maybe got $1000 back (the truck was not really a saver) got the axles. spent 300 each getting them worked over added a e-locker for $750 in the front. Once the truck was on the road could not get the vibrations out. Ended up spending another large amount of money putting 4 new hubs, changed to disc in the back in the process.

$2500 for a good 60 and 14 bolt with rear locker is worth it as long as it is ready to run.