• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chineese Hummers

Orionspath

HMMWV Agreed.......

GM (General Motors) owns (and now it seems sold) "HUMMER".

AM General makes the High Mobility Multi-purpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV) for the US military.

No matter what the soccer moms and macho wannabe's think - a "HUMMER" is NOT a "High Mobility Multi-purpose Wheeled Vehicle ".

A "HUMMER" is just a fancy, overpriced Tahoe.

AM General will keep doing what it's doing and I guess China will make fancy overpriced Tahoes.

What will they think of next..........

BLK HMMWV

HMMWV's

I understand that when they auctioned of the original lot of approx. 2,000 HMMWV. Approx 1,000 in Florida and approx 1,000 in Calif.
They were surplus 85,86,87 models. It was about the same time as GM came out with the H1 (91?) . The surplus ones were going for about 14k GM was trying to get 80k up for there H1's. They complained that the release of surplus ones was killing there market so they stopped releasing them.
Now they use them for target practice. From what I have been told ( and I very well could be wrong) anything released other than an 85, 86, 87 was sold as parts or for off highway use only. Anything newer than 87 is questionable as to registration.

BH

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would be very suprised if you ever see complete HMMWVs on GL. There may be a few parts sold but most of them will end up in the big scrap piles you see at the GL lots when they get rid of them.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand that when they auctioned of the original lot of approx. 2,000 HMMWV. Approx 1,000 in Florida and approx 1,000 in Calif.
They were surplus 85,86,87 models. It was about the same time as GM came out with the H1 (91?) . The surplus ones were going for about 14k GM was trying to get 80k up for there H1's. They complained that the release of surplus ones was killing there market so they stopped releasing them.
Now they use them for target practice. From what I have been told ( and I very well could be wrong) anything released other than an 85, 86, 87 was sold as parts or for off highway use only. Anything newer than 87 is questionable as to registration.

BH
Using that logic the government should stop Ford from selling a competing product. Heck, since the txpayers own most of GM now, that makes pretty good sense. :)

No, it wasn't GM trying to selling the blinged out H1s that stopped the surplus, it was a few other things.

JeepMan

It was shocking to say the least for me to hear the news this AM about a chinese Hummer.
Have'nt read the rest of the posts on here about the subject yet but wonder if it includes the AM general Division Hummv ?
That will go sour for them when the military drops the Hummer in favor of another manufacturer.
Will we see a Chinese H1 I wonder ??

Pawnshop

The H3 is apparently not TOO bad, the highest placing American in the last Paris-Dakar rally was driving one in the stock class and he placed 5th. It's not a real Hummer but it apparently is not bad in it's size/weight class.

The news I saw last night on the subject stated that the Chinese want to set up Hummer dealerships worldwide, so if you live in India and want a H2/H3 you can go down and buy one instead of importing it.

B3.3T

Uh, Pawnshop, buying a Chinese-made Hummer in India is still buying an imported vehicle.

Pawnshop

Uh, but the buyer does not have to do the importing, they can just go to the lot and get it. Right now someone has to buy the "truck" in the US, put it on a ship and send it to the buyers country. And, at least for now, Hummers will still be made in the US.

M725

GM sale won’t affect military Humvees

By Tom Krisher - The Associated Press
Posted : Thursday Jun 4, 2009 17:57:50 EDT

DETROIT — The Army is assuring people that General Motors’ deal to sell its Hummer brand to a Chinese company has nothing to do with the military version of the rugged vehicle.
Officials said some people called the Pentagon, Capitol Hill and AM General LLC, the company that makes the military vehicles, asking if the rights to the Humvee had been sold to the Chinese.
Steve Clawson, spokesman for the South Bend, Ind.-based AM General, said the military and civilian programs are separate.
“GM’s proposed sale of the civilian Hummer brand would have no impact on the military Humvee program,” he said.
The Army’s news service posted a story to clarify the situation on its Web site Wednesday, a day after news of the sale was announced.
“We really wanted to clarify in the minds of our own soldiers as well as the general public what was happening, just so we were clear on the difference,” said Lt. Col. Martin Downie, an Army spokesman.
Staffers at the House Armed Services Committee contacted the Army after hearing the sale news and were reassured that the military vehicles would not be affected, said Josh Holly, spokesman for the committee.
“I think the committee will continue to watch it just in case, but at this point I haven’t seen much concern from members on the military side,” he said.
General Motors Corp. announced Tuesday that it had a tentative agreement to sell the Hummer brand to Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machinery Co., a 4-year-old company with just 4,300 employees based in China’s mountainous southwest.
GM bought the rights to sell Hummers to civilians from AM General in 1999, and GM hired the company to build the H1 model at a plant in Mishawaka, Ind. The hulking, inefficient vehicle, which dwarfed most other vehicles on city streets, was based on the military Humvee.
Later, the automaker designed the Hummer H2 civilian vehicle, and AM General continued to build it. A smaller version, the H3, was built by GM at a plant in Shreveport, La.
AM General is privately held, owned by private equity firm The Renco Group Inc., and MacAndrews & Forbes Holdings, both of New York.
The company, born of Jeep heritage, was once part of American Motors Corp. It began designing the Humvee in 1979, and since then has sold more than 200,000 to the military and friendly nations, the company said on its Web site. The vehicles became famous in the 1991 Gulf War.
Tengzhong, which is keeping production of the Hummer in the United States, will face daunting hurdles in reviving the vehicle, known in Chinese as “Han Ma,” or Bold Horse.
Soaring gas prices have battered sales of the boxy trucks, which roar along on oversize tires and can weigh up to 5 tons.
GM sold 341,000 Hummers to civilians worldwide through 2008, but U.S. sales have dropped dramatically this year. GM sold only 5,113 Hummers through May, down 64 percent from the first five months of last year, according to Autodata Corp.
In a chat on GM’s Web site Thursday, GM CEO Fritz Henderson was asked how a Chinese company with no experience building personal vehicles was able to buy Hummer, and Henderson wrote that GM had limited interest in the brand.
“The potential buyer Sichuan Tengzhong offered the best overall alternative, and we did not have broad portfolio of other buyers,” Henderson replied.
———
AP Auto Writer Kimberly S. Johnson contributed to this report.

G-Force

I just finished watching that video that papercu posted. WHAT AN AWESOME VEHICLE!!!!!!
What the ARMY should do is have the CIA steal one of those from China and bring it over here to say Area 51.....We could have OUR engineers reverse engineer it for our armed forces!!!! (of course we'd have to make it BIGGER because those Chinmen are small) We could call it High Mobility Multi-purpose Wheeled Vehicle.....................or............HMMWV (You'd pronounce it "HUMVEE").............
And now....the $64,000 question........Of the 300+ million or so (maybe more) chinese people, do ANY of them ever have an original thought (idea)????

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps this will be the way of the commoners affording something that appears like an H1.

BLK HMMWV

Hmmwv / hummer

Just to set things straight.

A hummer you get from your girlfriend or your wife

A HMMWV is a military vehical if you own one of these chances are you won't be getting anything from the wife or girlfriend anymore.

If you drive a HUMMER you probably paid for the last HUMMER you got.

Clear!!

BH

B3.3T

Wow, G-Force, you are only off on the Chinese population by 1 BILLION. And why steal one? Just buy it...

D-Man

Indeed, it is unfortunate that the Chinese continue to gobble up American interests and no doubt this is an inevitable byproduct of the current economy. However, those who perpetuate the myth that H2’s (2008 or newer) are overblown Tahoes have never owned one, compared them side by side, or even driven one, for that matter. Think what you may, the new H2 (2008 and newer) is a quantum leap from the older models.

I was ready to purchase a new 2006 H1 and had altogether cast off the idea of an H2 because of this “Tahoe” thing. After talking to a few mechanics I began looking into it and discovered that two have little in common including a small section of frame and GM’s ubiquitous trim components. Other than few similiarities, they are very different vehicles altogether built in different plants. The H1 is an outstanding vehicle and I have driven them extensively in their civilian and military versions but they are just not as practical and I didn’t feel like having another vehicle that only gets driven a few times a year.

While the Tahoe is a nice truck, it pales in comparison to the H2. The H2’s drivetrain components are far more robust; it has 393hp and is a real pleasure to drive at 80mph on the highway or in two feet of snow. It is heavier than a full-size Suburban and its wheelbase is only seven inches shorter making for an exceptional ride on any surface. For a vehicle this size, it is well-mannered and quiet on the road but has the cohones to get you where you need to go here in Colorado.

The numbers don’t lie.

H2 specs

Wheelbase 122.8
Width 81.2
Curb weight 6,641
Payload 2,200
Trailering 8,200

Tahoe specs

Wheelbase 116.0
Width 79.0
Curb weight 5,387-5,581
Payload 1,721-1,913
Trailering 5,621-6,000

Notice the substantial difference of about 1,100lbs in curb weight between the two.

One night on my way home, I was waiting to turn at a stoplight when a guy (who had fallen asleep at the wheel) hit me head on 45mph. The traffic investigator told me that if I had been in another SUV such as many of the Japanese makes, I would have likely been a fatality. The other guy left the scene on a stretcher. The most surprising thing is that my “totaled” Hummer was DRIVEN into the body shop for appraisal. Guarantee you couldn’t do that with a Tahoe or most other SUV’s.

I drove and considered every SUV above $50,000 including the Porsche Cayenne, Audi, BMW, Suburban, Range Rover, and several others, and there really is no vehicle that does everything quite as well as the H2. Only thing they should add is a diesel which is already completed in prototype. Think what you may about Hummers, if you possess the financial wherewithal to purchase a new SUV/truck in this price range, you owe it to yourself to give it serious consideration. You will not be disappointed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks