• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CHOCK those tires!!

Heavysteven

Hopefully your message is being heard. I have seen first hand members with parking brakes that don't work and transmissions left in gear. That why I always offer to help repair parking brakes.

Good point given these truck could roll through a house.

Disciple

I had a Ford Pickup roll and START on me once. I was working on a house directly across the street from a previous customer's house. Truck narrowly missed the new customer's brand new Mercedes, jumped the curb, and took off across the front lawn. I jumped from two sections high of scaffolding and caught the truck right as it flattened the bushes and slammed into the brick veneer I had built two weeks prior. NO DAMAGE! Take it from the three little pigs! Yeah. Always chock! I almost ended up doing the same job again, only for free this time.

wdbtchr

The parking brake on my M51A2 won't hold on much of an incline even with new shoes and adjusted to spec. I tend to park on grades with the front bumper against a tree, plenty of those and I never pushed one over.:roll:

My chocks are wooden, cut out of solid pieces of Juniper.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wrecker boom does to sheet metal as a rock does to scissors. I was told a story about the Seabees. Apparently chocking trucks and trailers with the Seabees is more important than most things. Depending on trucks the chocks were either made fo 4x4 or 6x6 and were tied together as a pair. They were always painted yellow. If anyone failed to chock their truck they would be forced to wear a pair of chocks around their neck for the entire day. An embarrassing and often painful reminder of their transgressions.

Last edited:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Always, always always pull that little yellow valve. And if you have to think you have pulled the little yellow valve, go back and check.............The little yellow valve is your friend.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Last night a tow truck driver here in Gainesville was KILLED when he got out of his truck, It stated to roll, he reached in to push the brake peddle with his hand, fell and the truck rolled over him. This was not his first time in the truck, he just got comfortable, doing something he has done 1000 times before, and died for it

kurtkds

My Dad has had people pull Chocks out from his truck and watch it roll down hill and hit something. When everything was said done and over with he had to pay for everything. That was with his AM GENERAL M818.
I've been afraid of someone doing that to to one of my MVs, So when I park on a grade, I chock the wheels then carefully roll up against the chock to put some pressure on it and keep the chock securely in place. When I'm ready to leave simply move away from the chock to release it.

This also helps to keep the wheel chock from wandering away. LOL

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This should be obvious but, use two chocks, or if you only have one place it between duals or on the downhill side of the tires. I've seen lots of guys in the military just throw a chock down not paying any attention to which way is downhill. And don't forget to pick it up before ya take off!

Takai13

Last night a tow truck driver here in Gainesville was KILLED when he got out of his truck, It stated to roll, he reached in to push the brake peddle with his hand, fell and the truck rolled over him. This was not his first time in the truck, he just got comfortable, doing something he has done 1000 times before, and died for it
Being comfortable leads to complacency. Complacency can get you killed. My dock loaders used to laugh at me when I chocked the tires on my truck. They stopped laughing when a truck rolled away while the forklift driver was going in. He survived but as far as I know has never gotten near a forklift again.

Gastrap

I chock everywhere I park. My parking brake works pefectly, but I always hate that 4 seconds between when I jump out to when I get the chock in on my inclined driveway. I just know that's when my brake cable will snap someday.

Troll1216

Mine are four 4x4 bolted together and cut at a 45 degree angle. I perfer to chock the front (both sides) as there is more weight on it than the back. I too hate those 4 seconds, If I have a co-driver I have them chock while I am in the cab.

This is MANDITORY and I always leave the transfer in N, as well as the transmission. I do however do not pull the stop out and lock it, I just think it is not needed.

Let me know if I'm wrong. Safety is something that is all of our responsibilities.

I will check with my dept. to see if ours have chocks, if not I will make them.

Maverick1701

The parking brake on my M51A2 won't hold on much of an incline even with new shoes and adjusted to spec. I tend to park on grades with the front bumper against a tree, plenty of those and I never pushed one over.:roll:

My chocks are wooden, cut out of solid pieces of Juniper.
lol i do that too... I also park w/my wheels turned into the curb w/tranny in neutral.

Hopefully my parking brake will be getting fixed this week...fingers crossed

my g/f laugh when I chock my tires...but she doesn't understand what damage it could do if it rolls away.

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
I also double "N" the Transmission and transfer case.
I do not pull the fuel cut off (don't like the idea of tension on the cable for weeks/months on end)
I do double chalk the wheels like the pick of the civy truck above.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks