• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CHOCK those tires!!

True Knight

Thank you. That is a picture from when I was in prison.

[thumbzup]

Use a real chock too. A huge chunk of asphalt isn't good enough as a wheel chock. The other LAV driver in my platoon didn't set his air brakes because the vehicle was inop. (He wasn't thinking, because there was still air in the tanks.) Over the hot summer weekend the asphalt softened and the LAV rolled right over it. Luckily the chain link fence was only a few feet away and stopped it before it picked up momentum. If not, it would have rolled down a steeper hill and into the road...

Capt.Marion

You can also make a jig to hold the engine stop cable out for those emergencies where you REALLY need to stay stopped. (Also is handy for shows) Just split a piece of copper tube down the middle, cut to length of just a bit farther than you normally pull out your ENGINE STOP. Kill the engine, insert your jig, and you can leave her in gear.

I had to do this recently when I got home from a trip, set the parking brake to hop out and chock the wheels, and when I let my foot off the service brake the truck just started rolling backwards again.

Time to fix the parking brake!

landfillman

Im just a newby dumbA$$ but Im more familiar with Air brakes. Is the parking brake on a Deuce mechanical with a cable the axles shoes ore does it have a drum/ disc on the back of the transmission/ transferr case.

The reason I ask is a few years ago I had a friend get pinned by his truck an old Ford F700. It had air/hydraulic brakes and a mechanical park brake. He left it in a higher gear and chocked it with a rubber chock with a hollow bottom . It was on wet ground and the parking brakes let go from a bad cable. Ht was pinned to a chain link gate for an hour. He asked about a fix and i took the brake disk on the transmission park brake and put an air brake caliper off an old Mack on the set up. I used a lock down valve and control from the same truck and dash mounted the control knob. Then added a lock down brake chamber and slack adjuster. It works really well.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im just a newby dumbA$$ but Im more familiar with Air brakes. Is the parking brake on a Deuce mechanical with a cable the axles shoes ore does it have a drum/ disc on the back of the transmission/ transferr case.

The reason I ask is a few years ago I had a friend get pinned by his truck an old Ford F700. It had air/hydraulic brakes and a mechanical park brake. He left it in a higher gear and chocked it with a rubber chock with a hollow bottom . It was on wet ground and the parking brakes let go from a bad cable. Ht was pinned to a chain link gate for an hour. He asked about a fix and i took the brake disk on the transmission park brake and put an air brake caliper off an old Mack on the set up. I used a lock down valve and control from the same truck and dash mounted the control knob. Then added a lock down brake chamber and slack adjuster. It works really well.

Wow, I have an old F-16 chock (yellow wooden type) that I was going to use, but saw the big hollow rubber ones at the store and picked one of those up thinking it was a safer choice.

Now with everyone saying I need two, do I need to clone my USAF chock and avoid the hallow rubber one, or just pick up a second hollow rubber one?

Attachments

kastein

Mike, that rubber one looks like the one I got. If you EVER intend to park on gravel or dirt, forget it... get a bigger one. I chocked my wheel one day and the truck still ran away from me! Fortunately I had also turned the wheels toward the side of the road (narrow dirt road, both sides have embankments at least a foot high, not enough space to pick up speed) so it stopped quickly.

Only the paranoid survive...

I have new e-brake shoes for mine but it appears the real problem is a stretched cable, it's on the list of things to fix. In the meantime I park, toss it in neutral, let off the brakes, let it roll a few feet, if it doesn't stop rolling by itself I move it somewhere else and repeat until it finds its own best parking space. Then I chock a couple wheels with big (8-12") rocks or chunks of firewood.

Trick for chocking wheels when your parking brake is toast, you know it, and you're on an incline - tie a rope to the chock and toss it down from the door to the downhill side of the tire (can be difficult) then roll up to it. Chock the rest of the wheels normally. When you want to leave, remove all chocks except the roped one, grab the rope, get in, move off it and haul it back... hope you used a long rope.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Trick for chocking wheels when your parking brake is toast, you know it, and you're on an incline - tie a rope to the chock and toss it down from the door to the downhill side of the tire (can be difficult) then roll up to it. Chock the rest of the wheels normally. When you want to leave, remove all chocks except the roped one, grab the rope, get in, move off it and haul it back... hope you used a long rope.
..or stop engine and put the transmission in gear (forward or reverse depending on incline).

Smokinyoda

You can also make a jig to hold the engine stop cable out for those emergencies where you REALLY need to stay stopped. (Also is handy for shows) Just split a piece of copper tube down the middle, cut to length of just a bit farther than you normally pull out your ENGINE STOP. Kill the engine, insert your jig, and you can leave her in gear.

I had to do this recently when I got home from a trip, set the parking brake to hop out and chock the wheels, and when I let my foot off the service brake the truck just started rolling backwards again.

Time to fix the parking brake!

Great Idea!

Gonna make one of these ASAP!!!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
not very well on a incline because as the vehicle starts to roll, it will kick UP the leading edge of the blocks, which will allow everything to be loose, and if steep enough to start a roll in the first place, will roll OVER the blocks as thay fall to the ground

kastein

I would only even consider that on a hard surface that is fairly level. My chock block that got pushed right into the ground was about 6 inches tall and 4-5 inches wide and it rolled over it like it wasn't even there.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a chock is not a replacement for a weak e-brake. They are both needed to secure the Deuce in more extreme surfaces and hills. Luckily in Texas flat is the norm, and hills are unique. :)

Now if I could get out of the truck without being violated by the e-brake and/or releasing it. (leg drags the e-brake when I step down out of the truck.)

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought two of the large hollow blocks from Harbor freight thinking they were like the military chocks I'm used to. Nope. The 5 ton rolled right over them like they weren't there on a very mild incline over semi-frozen ground (parking brake is somewhat NMC). One of the chocks even cracked as it got squashed. Couple chunks of wood and a couple cement blocks do the trick now. I'm going to make a few decent looking wooden chocks out of 4x4s and be done with the cheap synthetic chocks.

HORNETD

A Fire Apparatus Engineer (FAE) I was working with had a truck run away from in front of him while he was running the pump. It had those hollow bottomed rubber chocks and the truck simply vibrated them into the ground. He set me to guard the chock blocks so that no one would touch them. I had to threaten one moron who ignored my shouted "leave that chock alone." Luckily I was holding a combination grubbing tool and axe that is called a Pulaski tool and when I cocked back to through it at him he came over to me, at the other chock, shouting obscenities. I smacked that ignorant so and so with the but of the handle right in the chest. He was a know it all Heavy Fire Equipment Operator (HFEO); aka Cat Skinner; with another agency. He swore he would have me fired for assault on a superior. His ranger told him he was no ones superior on his best day and gave him a five day walk.
--
Tom Horne

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
for a 5t I would use at least a 6"x 6", a 8"x"8 or bigger would be better to make wedge ckock blocks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks