• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Choosing Between M923A1 and M923A2

PaFarmer

I agree with Carlo. I like the A1 and A2 about the same. The A1 does seem to have a bit more low end grunt, but the A2 is noticeably quieter. The A1 fires off much faster after I added a block heater.

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New Guy alert! I see this post has not been touched in a while but was hoping to bother someone about a M923A2 I have the opportunity to buy. I spent a couple hours looking at it yesterday and don't want it to get away. Would any of you experienced M923A2 owners have time to chat? I could not possibly type out the questions I have. Just some basic observations i have noted about this unit.
Matt
703-963-one four one one

74M35A2

Hi Matt. Was nice speaking with you this evening. It sounds like you have done your homework. Key points to recap:

1. Get them to include a spare tire, even if not a match, something is better than nothing if in need.
2. Have them dump the fuel and refill with fresh diesel if you said it does not seem right. Same with the fuel filter(s). Then take it for the fast drive and make sure engine power does not taper off until 2100rpm (approaching governor limit). Half tank refill is much less cost than a heavy equipment tow bill.
3. PCB can be rebuilt with new solenoids which easily available. If they do not include the second PCB, not a big deal, you can give in on that one. Just buy the solenoids and rebuild yours one evening, and done.
4. Be conscious of any blow-by out the draft tube. The 8.3L should be a clean runner. Could mean cracked rings from extended sitting then start. If blow-by is visible and smells like burned motor oil, then avoid it. If a slight amount of visible vapor, try to gauge if it is coming out as puffs (a cylinder) or as a steady stream (possible condensation in oil).
5. Trans should shift smooth, like a school bus, up and down. Harsh downshift, especially 2-1, is likely sticky kickdown cable, spray lube down it at the engine throttle connection, work it in by snapping it a few times and let it return, and drive it again.

Good luck, come back with stories.

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for your time. Will get back with more info as I would like to also verify the year since I doubt the 1999. What in the vin or stock # shows year?

[FONT=&quot]NL0VUP2304462[/FONT]

Last edited:

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sent in an offer today after a well worded email. No response, but since work was slow today I actually read a ton of great posts on here. I believe I can build one of these trucks from scratch now. I better get one since I have everything noted from filters to fluids to where to get a chrome RV engine 74M35A2. Your motor swap thread is great. Did not make it all the way to the end yet but what a great bunch of guys with nothing on their minds but your entertainment. :cool: Next is the power upgrade section but I guess I should get the ride first.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Sent in an offer today after a well worded email. No response, but since work was slow today I actually read a ton of great posts on here. I believe I can build one of these trucks from scratch now. I better get one since I have everything noted from filters to fluids to where to get a chrome RV engine 74M35A2. Your motor swap thread is great. Did not make it all the way to the end yet but what a great bunch of guys with nothing on their minds but your entertainment. :cool: Next is the power upgrade section but I guess I should get the ride first.

it is our entertainment since he has said he was going to have the Winnebago going "after august" and he has been going to stab that transmission on the back of the engine since July I believe. I think he has 4 posts total saying he was going to get that done. Winter is coming early in the Detroit area. I was by his house the other day and I snapped this pic that his truck hasn't moved.

Attachments

74M35A2

That one has a back window in it.

No chrome, it's polished. The 8.3 power up threads are much better than my boring swap thread. Go through that one first, it will be more applicable to the truck you may soon own, and has some great content to it. I'm not quite as fast as Mr. 32 Speed Sprinkler.

Once you join the 8.3 club, you'll need to pull up a chair, as we have a story for you involving some string, and a cat...

Last edited:

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No response on Friday. I know they were available yesterday and I was working and thought about calling all day. I did not want to look desperate to them and keep my cool for now. I will call him tomorrow since there are a couple days this week I could go get it. Will do a full PM service on it before driving home. Forum said 5-6 gal. of oil?? Thought my 5.9 and 7.3 at 3 and 4 was a lot. So no heavy metal yet in camo.

rickf

Wait until you see the refill specs for the differentials! And the transmission, and the coolant. Welcome to the big boys toys.

74M35A2

Yep. I would not go changing anything there besides the fuel as you said it seemed strange and you are exposed to diesel fuel regularly otherwise, just top them off and be on your way. 3 diffs, transfer case, trans, coolant, engine oil, steering fluid.

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put a deposit down today. Will pay the balance when I have time to pick it up next week. Found a cargo top floating around there but need the bows now. Any good contacts? Saw a thread that crapped on the ebay guys.

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now I have to name him/her don't I ?? My kids are going to think i am either the coolest guy on the block or that i'm nuts. They have no clue whats rolling home. Move over mini van. The wife has no clue on the size. She just comments on my forum and shopping time after everyone is in bed. This **** is like a drug. I thought the jeep bug was bad. I am shopping for stuff and don't even have the title. 1991 M923A2. RRAD 2010. Filters are all labeled 2012 and has less than 1000 miles since the depot. Thanks for all your tips 74M35A2

rickf

Do YOU really know how big it is? I don't know how many guys I know have bought a 900 series and once they got it home to suburbia realized that it takes the entire driveway including the flower bed on both sides and is taller than the garage......................ROOF! Nope, sure didn't look that big in the field with all the other trucks did it? Oh, The HOA say's "Ain't NO WAY dude! Many towns have told guys they can't keep them on the street due to the size or weight. Yup, I sure hope you did your research on THAT end of it all.

71DeuceAK

Welcome, CARMAN! I can sympathize with your feeling of terrified euphoria, I have a verbal agreement on a M923. They really are a living thing, even with a gender, many people name them. They have personality many other vehicles lack, it's like man's second best friend besides the dog/cat...Big and tough, but such a gentle giant people fall asleep in the passenger seat. You'll love it, you're done for, pretty soon one truck will turn into two which will turn into five before you know what even happened. It really is an addictive thing, I don't even have the title to "mine" yet either yet it's one of the bigger things in my life nonetheless.

Yes, they are huge but they are awesome, just kindly remind the neighbors it can drive right through their house. (Just kidding). They'll approve once you take them for a ride in it/let them drive it, or haul some junk to the landfill for them, or help them move or perform high water rescue with it.

Keep us posted, we want to hear about the reactions from the kids/wife/neighbors.

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
rickf...have no worries. This will be garage kept as I am fortunate to have a building down the street with a door big enough to back our semi deliveries into. But of course will decorate my driveway with it to remind the neighbors that I could just park it in their family room. Like 71DeuceAK said. I am that truck and plow guy already but the neighbors don't abuse it. They would not dare complain. They would never see my generosity again. I did see some other vehicles back in the weeds...once I have title in hand on this one, im heading into the weeds to look. I think I saw some other 2.5 or 5 tons a couple trailers and even an early 60's jeep. It was not a flat fender but it was od green and cj5 shape. Will update next week. Anyone looking for anything specific?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks