• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Civilian version of the FMTV?

DSD277

They're all history now. The last trucks made by BAE, Sealy were for a Canadian order this last April... without warranty/ part support

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All this talk of a cabover makes me want to build something using an Isuzu or W4500 based small truck. I've never had more fun offroad than riding with a guy that had a well built FC170. Hills are a blast in a cab fwd truck.

DSD277

Recovry4x4
Mitsubishi Fuso FG is a factory built 4x4 , the size of the Isuzu / GMC W

Though too rare/valuable for me to offroad, my Pinzgauer XM 718K has all the abilities of the older Pinzes and the modern engine/trans for the speeds of American highways8)... not to mention the latest braking electronics

59 apache
The 12M18 is what I was looking at when my M1094 came up. The sheetmetal of the Steyr cab is what the FMTVs were, built under license in the US.
The Steyr is has a lower horsepower engine and GVW, also hydraulic disc brakes (no special license needed here) . The price of the Steyr, plus the boat ticket to get one across the pond would scare most people here. The big Unimog SBU's are nice also, but a little on the slow side for many on the highway..... and expensive and complicated.