Civy truck to MIL trailer wiring info

Steel Soldiers is supported by:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Day 32 of my cold/flu and felt human enough to get some work done. The pics explain what I did. Connections other than ground are soldered and heat-shrinked inside the box. The grounds got soldered eye connectors and a screw post inside the box in case I ever need to add a ground for something. I should have gotten a bigger box. My original plan included a cigar lighter socket powered from the +12v trailer wire, but there wasn't enough room in the little box.

I mounted it temporarily on the tongue with zip-ties; I still need to seal it up with RTV. Not sure how I'll mount it exactly but it won't be permanently mounted in case I need to loan it out for a recovery. Plugged it into my jeep and everything works as it's supposed to. The bulbs were brighter than I was expecting since I haven't swapped the 24v ones out yet.

Attachments

Traveltocamp

Howdy,
Most just simple replace the type they have. If you have incandescent, then you use incandescent bulbs.

PU-798A Unit = Mep-803a on a LTT-TQG trailer (M1102)
All the bulbs are standard incandescent. So swap out the bulbs for the 12v counterparts for a brighter safer day.

Rear brake, turn light bulbs #1683 24v bulbs swamped to #1156 12v bulbs
Marker lights all round #1251 24v bulbs swapped to #97 12v bulbs
Trailer plug =cut off mil end, cheap 7-way plug attached.

I am now all at a 12 volt lighting. Yes, brighter and safer.

total noob here

would I need 2 pair of each 12v bulb type?

4 1156’s

4 97’s ?

edit**** never mind lol

Last edited:

namedpipes

That is correct, however, the lights have been going haywire and I wonder if it’s because of the voltage.
Depending on what you mean by haywire, more likely the wiring.

A bad ground, a short, a break or a crossed wire will give suboptimal results ;) The harness is simple enough. Also, zip tying on a generic harness from Hazard Freight will give you a cheap, temporary solution if you need the trailer NOW.

Don't get me wrong, putting in proper 12v bulbs is better, but the 24's will work.

Traveltocamp

Depending on what you mean by haywire, more likely the wiring.

A bad ground, a short, a break or a crossed wire will give suboptimal results ;) The harness is simple enough. Also, zip tying on a generic harness from Hazard Freight will give you a cheap, temporary solution if you need the trailer NOW.

Don't get me wrong, putting in proper 12v bulbs is better, but the 24's will work.
i wish I could post video to easier explain lol.

While using 24v bulbs with 12v power, the bulbs would only properly work(left/right/brake/hazards/running with my truck running.
I have now changed out to 12v bulbs and it seems to have fix that issue but I will be keeping an eye on it.

namedpipes

i wish I could post video to easier explain lol.

While using 24v bulbs with 12v power, the bulbs would only properly work(left/right/brake/hazards/running with my truck running.
I have now changed out to 12v bulbs and it seems to have fix that issue but I will be keeping an eye on it.
To me it sounds like a grounding issue or maybe a connection with corrosion / high resistance. When the engine is running there's enough voltage to "force" the issue. The issue could be in the trailer OR the truck.

Traveltocamp

To me it sounds like a grounding issue or maybe a connection with corrosion / high resistance. When the engine is running there's enough voltage to "force" the issue. The issue could be in the trailer OR the truck.
That’s what I’m thinking. The truck is new(2016)....my guess is the trailer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks