• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CJ10a Flightline Tug --> 4wd Pickup Truck

Atomic

I think this the longest running thread between 3 people I have seen on SS.

Gaven, you are gifted! Keep it going and give us a vid or two!!!

gavan

Occasionally someone else posts in it. I don't think "auxillary equipment" gets as much traffic as some of the other forums on here:cool:

Injection pump is still out getting worked on. As is my luck with this motor from **** the injection pump needs a complete rebuild. But it will get done soon, and I had the injectors worked on as well. Everything is flowed and matched together, so it should make some really good power.

So, my "cheap" 4bt swap turned into:

New head
Rebuilt short block
Rebuilt Injection pump
New lift pump
Rebuilt injectors

At leas there is nothing left to go wrong?

jamesfrom180

Well I guess its a face only a father could love, speaking on why no one else seems interested. Gavan, I would have thought that 4bt would have been easy but guess not. Looking good man. :beer:

DrJekl hasn't chimed in in-a-wile but he ended up with Rebelpride's project. At some point I want to clone the Aussie CJ-10 export or their experimental truck version.

gavan

The Cummins do not cavitate nearly as bad as other engine designs for a couple reasons, but everything looked really good when I tore it down and had it hot tanked, other than some wear on the cyls. The crank was actually oversized and cleaned up nicely with some polishing. Cyl walls were checked and bored .5mils over, plenty of meat left in the walls.

That 10 does look pretty nice. I am just a little jealous, but mine has a bigger motor, manual transmission, much beefier axles.... but that one is pretty good looking :)

DrJekl

I started on my latest tug project. Yanked the weight the other day. Fixed all the jacked up wiring this week. Hopefully she'll be running next week. The front axle is being built (Jeep Passenger drop D44, going with 3.73 gears). Running stock wheels and tires on this one. The goal is to make it a manual at some point. The manual pedals are going in while I have the dash and column out.

Rebuilt a tilt from a CJ for it. I just need an old Pontiac Sport wheel for it and I'll be set!

DrJekl

Mine will be much like what Gavan has in the works but will be running the stock 16" rims like a CUCV has. Axle over in the front, rear axle moved back about 18" in the back with a chopped M101 bed.

jamesfrom180

So are you turbo'n the Nissan or going the 4bt rout? I find it really funny the three of us have been called out for this banter already. I had planned to go up to SC and pick that up and scrap the counter weight before coming back south. I am really happy someone picked it up in this group. Seen too many of these people start and just ruin and loose the military feel to them. I really still would like to build one of these and its on my list of vehicles to buy if I find a deal. Always keep alittle side money to grab up a cool project and one of these ugly ducklings would be a no brainer for me!

DrJekl

I'll be harnessing all 95 neck jerking horsepower from my beast of a SD33!

I am picking up my manual trans stuff this week or next. Dodge truck set up for the bell and some IHC Scout manual parts (flywheel).

DrJekl

Dropped off the axle for rebuild tonight. Limited slip in the front with 3.73s, keeping the 8 lug outers. 14 bolt floater in the back with gov loc.

DrJekl

UNless I can find a cheap engine comlete I am just going to leave it NA. I do want to try a SVO conversion on it.

My intent is to use a T176 with the Dana 300 behind it. It will depend on how the bellhousing works out.

gavan

The deals are out there, I picked up a SD33T for 300 bucks recently. The motor is essentially scrap metal to most people, unless they have an interest in it. Look in Craigslist for "scout diesel" or the like. A lot of the ones on the boards go for much more money.

How are you going to adapt the SD33 to the T176?

I had every intention of running the SD till I moved down here to Houston. The interstate system would have made my Jeep very unsafe.

My injection pump is done, and should be shipped, so I may have a running motor again here soon. That would be a nice change!

Oh yeah...

nopics

hold it... its my thread... you know what I mean!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks