• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Class IV Hitch...Done.

bottleworks

I have finished my projects...For now. One of which was installing a class IV hitch on the Deuce and have a 12V outlet to allow the towing of typical trailers.

The wiring was simple. All you need is a 24V relay controlling a 12V circuit. You need a relay for tail lights, left turn/left stop, and right turn/right stop. At the same time, I followed Bjorn's suggestion and took the load off of the flasher. Now everything the flasher operates, it is controlling two relay in parallel (for redundancy). Those relays then handle the heavy loads. All the relay's coils are diode suppressed to prevent spikes. I have run the wiring for a brake controller and reverse lights for future projects.

Attachments

Flea

This is exactly what I want to do. Where did you get the 24V relays? Are they waterproof/resistant? I've had a heck of a time tracking them down! What about a brake controller?

Thanks! Looks good!

bottleworks

I got the hitch from Summit Racing.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CHT-14082

I have a 12K 6" drop bar for it. That lines up nicely with my larger trailer. Put my smaller trailer may be out of luck.

24V relays are common and cheap if you know where to look. Everything I work on uses a 24V system, so I am used to it. I bought mine locally. If you get Bosch brand relays they are sealed, but I put them in that box and sealed it also. I think I have a picture of the inside of the box somewhere...

rjag623

You wouldn't have a schematic of the wiring? It would make the project much simpler...not wanting to re-invent the wheel and all that. Looks good!
Ron

gunner01

guys the job converting to 12 volt accessories is really quite simple.I did that to mine a couple of years ago. there is a place here in utah that manufactures voltage reducers for a reasonable price. I also put a brake controler on mine for our 30 ft. flatbed we tow behind. go to gunners toys in the owner rides section.

davidkroberts

it probably is very easy..... if you know how to do it, just like brain surgery. Im a retard anyway and electrical work confuses me....lol. I am wanting to install a cab heater in my Gama Goat that takes a 12V hot wire and if i can run a trailer light setup for the boat and maybe a 12V cigarette lighter for elctrical stuff that would be money.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks