• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Climbing the Ranks

YES, and show up to it.

Yeah Elk, I am not sure General Ostrich is going to be demanding a salute any time soon rofl
I guess! By the way would any of you guys be interested in coming to a "Northern Rocky Mountain Rally" next summer. Need some feedback from the Far West ? Washington, Idaho and Oregon It's just a thought at the present time. included at the present time are Montana,North and South Dakota, Wyoming and any others who would consider it. Canada also!

Stan Leschert

Do remember, that Military rank is something that you pay the proper respect to. Most people who wear it have earned it. Some slid by and got promoted well above their capabilties. We still saluted their insignia.

Other guys just earned our respect. While we may not have always liked their decisions, but you always knew which person was fair and smart. To those leaders, the salute was always aimed at them.... not the rank badges that they had wore.

As someone who was on the recieving end of many salutes, you knew which ones were given in respect of you, and which times they played "Touch The Hat", out of courtesy to your rank. I wouldn't trade my troops for any other soldiers. They were incredible!

Even the ones who drove like GimpyRob, and cooked like WM.

We took what we had and made a functional, tight knit unit.
And then we trained their anuses off, just to keep them out of trouble!

Some stayed, some left. Others were left. ( re-assigned, sometimes as civilian!)

They made the unit, and years after, I still remember them and thank them.

Thanks to:
Trooper Bell, Corporal Pabla, Sgt. Dresseler, Sgt. Lemphul, Capt. Prouse, Maj. Lacey, Col. Toogood, B Gen Kilby....

They helped form the grouchy old bugger who now is wasting your computer time!

Last edited:
Do remember, that Military rank is something that you pay the proper respect to. Most people who wear it have earned it. Some slid by and got promoted well above their capabilties. We still saluted their insignia.

Other guys just earned our respect. While we may not have always liked their decisions, but you always knew which person was fair and smart. To those leaders, the salute was always aimed at them.... not the rank badges that they had wore.

As someone who was on the recieving end of many salutes, you knew which ones were given in respect of you, and which times they played "Touch The Hat", out of courtesy to your rank. I wouldn't trade my troops for any other soldiers. They were incredible!

Even the ones who drove like GimpyRob, and cooked like WM.

We took what we had and made a functional, tight knit unit.
And then we trained their anuses off, just to keep them out of trouble!
Your post is very true and makes a point Stan. There has to be someone in charge even if its a PFC, Corporal, etc. (Rank). If you have watched the movie "The Devils Brigade" which I did recently it pointed exactly what you and others are talking about. I respect the idea of rank because without it there would be no unit cohesion and everything would fall apart The job would never get done without leadership and the rank associated with it. Thank you Sir ! I salute you for your post and contributions to this site! elkhunter SP/4 1965-1969 U.S. Army Aviation

Last edited:

Stan Leschert

It should be noted, that there Is a difference between quanity and quality.
That would help to explain the difference between Rank and Respect.

Most of the guys on this site know so much more than I ever could, about Green Trucks.... that is why I'm not afraid to ask them dumb questions.

They usually give me a smart answer born out of the School of Hard Knocks, and they try to help me not repeat their mistakes!

As for quanity..... Spam Happens! Deal with it!

It should be noted, that there Is a difference between quanity and quality.
That would help to explain the difference between Rank and Respect.

Most of the guys on this site know so much more than I ever could, about Green Trucks.... that is why I'm not afraid to ask them dumb questions.

They usually give me a smart answer born out of the School of Hard Knocks, and they try to help me not repeat their mistakes!

As for quanity..... Spam Happens! Deal with it!
"Grin and Bear It" right? Been there,done that!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks