• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Code Enforcement Threat

Yes he will likely not get any good sound advice. Yes there is no attorney to consult. But when you the one the city is gunning for it can be a great help just to vent and see that others care about your troubles.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Not to burst anyone's bubble here - BUT - these types of threads are really obnoxious.
There is no one here that can help you locally.
There is not attorney here to help you for free to get you out of this situation.

Anyone one answering is not in your neighborhood putting up with the same ordeal.

These threads really wind up getting closed and locked up in the end anyhow.

Before we got ours - we knew and investigated besides what we are tolerating now with a TITLE ISSUE which is a whole nother thread - but we are responding to the threat of our hobby here in GA.

This appears a pure legal issue - between zoning and such. Is it time to end this thread and ones similar like it in the future.

Just my .02 cents worth
I have to disagree, it's good info for me. As of right now my HQ is in the county, but the city keeps moving closer every year. The op had his trucks long before his property was rezoned. When, not if, this happens to me I'd like to have learned as much as possible about these issues so I can fight arbitrary rulings by a zoning board or city council.

kc5mzd

Sir,
Are your vehicles REGISTERED as TxFMV's?
Are they also registered IN YOUR NAME or is a business name on the Title/Registration?
Do you RESIDE on the property, and is it your HOMESTEAD under Texas Property Tax Code definitions?
How you answer these questions could be key to your defense.

(NOTE: I am not a lawyer. However, please be sure that your attorney has considered these FACTS.)
Yes, the reason I complied at first and let the non military stuff go was so I could stall for time and $$ to prepare the things that are the most defend-able.

Everything is in my name.
There was never any type of business associated with my owning the vehicles and keeping them at my residence.
Everything is registered as TxFMV and is current.
Everything was current before I went to court on the day they identified the military vehicles as non compliant.
All vehicles I currently own are drivable.
The property is and was my residence and homestead for over 22 years.
Until I recently sold some of my military vehicles for funds to deal with this lawsuit I have had no history of buying and selling any motor vehicles.
I have only bought, repaired and used the trucks at TxFMV compliant events.
I have never charged anyone or even accepted gas money for using the trucks.

My attorney knows all this and has personally seen the vehicles and met with my neighbours. I don't think the city can win in a jury trial. I think if I fight this and win it might help others that aren't lucky enough to have neighbours like mine. I bought my house when I was 22 years old and still have the same neighbours. Their grand kids, now about 22, have known me all their lives and have nothing but good things to say about me. I don't think I could be in a better position to win.

If I loose woe to the hobby...

Someone on the next street over was cited for junked vehicles. They went to jury trial and won under the pretence they were antiques. Now if you get a junk vehicle citation in San Antonio just say the magic word "antique" and it is supposed to go away. I think this is why they tried to get creative with the zoning issue.

kc5mzd

Not to burst anyone's bubble here - BUT - these types of threads are really obnoxious.
There is no one here that can help you locally.
There is not attorney here to help you for free to get you out of this situation.

Anyone one answering is not in your neighborhood putting up with the same ordeal.

These threads really wind up getting closed and locked up in the end anyhow.

Before we got ours - we knew and investigated besides what we are tolerating now with a TITLE ISSUE which is a whole nother thread - but we are responding to the threat of our hobby here in GA.

This appears a pure legal issue - between zoning and such. Is it time to end this thread and ones similar like it in the future.

Just my .02 cents worth
It does help to vent and organise my thoughts.
I already have an attorney.
There are people here localy (from Texas).
These types of threads do help others.
It was from another thread where the idea of TxFMVs were proposed to be "former vehicles" and no longer considered motor vehicles. I printed it out and gave it to the attorney. He had a chance to look it over and consider it before I went to court on the day the city said the military vehicles had to go. Because he had info from a thread like this my attorney was very confident when the city tried to blindside me and demand all remaining vehicles be removed from my property.

If I win other people that follow this thread will know the details of how to protect themselves.
If I loose they will know they will have to come up with something better and may be able to spot the flaw in my defence.

If someone solves the title issue in GA wouldn't you want to know how they did it?

kc5mzd

Wow !!!
First time I have heard of this around S.A.

What part of town are you in ?

Good luck & keep us posted.
I live on the south east side of San Antonio.
I have never heard of them getting this out of control either.
Around 10 years ago they came out. The code enforcement officer was very nice and patient. He said he had several complaints. He told me what was out of compliance and then asked what I could do to help him out. He didn't make any demands and just wanted things moved around to make it look better. The code enforcement officers (3 of them) we have today are on some kind of crazy power trip. They were citing people for grass over 6". In the field across the street they were growing hay it was over 4'. Also in my area if you cut your grass lower than 6" in the summer after the rainy season it will dry out and die in the summer unless you water heavily every day.

zout

Easier explanation I guess - so bear with me.

When was the last time you went to your city council meeting - or do you go each time they meet - I DO.
When your local zoning committee meets (open to the public) do you go - I DO.

I go to each and every one of them - most folks NEVER EVER EVER GO unless it envolves them or they have a bitch about something that effects them specifically - otherwise they could care less and let them knuckleheads do whatever
they want and pass whatever they want un-noticed till its too late.

These folks just do not move in unannounced - it was before a committee at one time or other and got passed - guess who was there - ahh - no one unless it effected them after the fact.

This is not the site for politics - but guess what - it is - zoning - city ordinances - and seldom not one single person goes to listen and pay attention to these knuckleheads rule and make laws however they wish cause they know no one gives a chit till its too late and after the fact.
Might not be in the case I suppose - but ask yourself as an AMERICAN - when and if you ever go to these city council meeting and listen to them ?? I go to every single one of them.

Please continue on because it is informative - wonder how this stuff all got passed in the first place.

dmetalmiki

Crickey mate....If you moved to here, near here, far from here, Anywhere here.! you would be welcomed with with wide open arms by (well nearly) everyone. I wish you all the very best in your (fight?) no... "RIGHT"!

zout

I have an idea where your located - I have been into Woodall Spa - up to Louth and over to Skengness - if I recall your kind of in between all them places -

86m1028

I live on the south east side of San Antonio.
I have never heard of them getting this out of control either.
Around 10 years ago they came out. The code enforcement officer was very nice and patient. He said he had several complaints. He told me what was out of compliance and then asked what I could do to help him out. He didn't make any demands and just wanted things moved around to make it look better. The code enforcement officers (3 of them) we have today are on some kind of crazy power trip. They were citing people for grass over 6". In the field across the street they were growing hay it was over 4'. Also in my area if you cut your grass lower than 6" in the summer after the rainy season it will dry out and die in the summer unless you water heavily every day.

They WANT your land PERIOD !!!

rosefarm

Nothing gets my goat more than a guy getting jacked around by people who think they know what he should have on his OWN property....especially after more than two decades?! Money where my mouth is. PM me your email address and I will paypal you $100.00 to defend yourself. I know it isn't much, but maybe some other folks will pitch in. Keep me informed please.
Scott

kc5mzd

Nothing gets my goat more than a guy getting jacked around by people who think they know what he should have on his OWN property....especially after more than two decades?! Money where my mouth is. PM me your email address and I will paypal you $100.00 to defend yourself. I know it isn't much, but maybe some other folks will pitch in. Keep me informed please.
Scott
Thanks for the offer. I am ok as far as funding goes for now. I will find out more in December as far as the cost and get a better idea if I have enough. If it looks like I will run short I will pm you then. I will keep everyone updated. For now I would just like to thank everyone for their support and comments.

dmetalmiki

I have an idea where your located - I have been into Woodall Spa - up to Louth and over to Skengness - if I recall your kind of in between all them places -
Yes we were just south of woodhall spar (only 4 miles) and I used to "tug" my "trains" to all the local shows around that region. Happy days...but we moved lck stock and barrel to a new location just outside London. (Well oustide!) in the sticks..no noise no fuss NO Neighbours (to complain) and go to shows "new" (to us) with freinds of many years. The War and Peace being the mane one and close enough to "ferry" all the collection for a decent display.

o1951

kc5mzd, I appreciate your taking the time to post. It is a reminder to me, and others that when moving, there is a LOT more than finding a house that the wife likes in a good neighborhood.

I don't know how it works in Texas, but here, if you got it before they change the rules of the game (ordinance), you are "grandfathered" and can keep it.

kc5mzd

kc5mzd, I appreciate your taking the time to post. It is a reminder to me, and others that when moving, there is a LOT more than finding a house that the wife likes in a good neighborhood.

I don't know how it works in Texas, but here, if you got it before they change the rules of the game (ordinance), you are "grandfathered" and can keep it.
It is legal for me to keep antiques on my property now. I think they are up to something more sinister. They went ahead with a high speed rail project that was voted down. The tracks go down my street. I think they are up to something much more sinister...

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a big state. Don't lump all of it in with the Austin/SA mindset just yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks