• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Code Enforcement

Dave08

I think I know where you got that cab and tank. Had you been there before the current owner? I heard it's changed a lot since the old owner died.
I got it just outside of Tallahassee. The guys name is John and he is an old Marine and he has a lot of stuff. Do you know him? I do not know if he is the original owner of the property or not.
Dave08

Dave08

Burma Jeep

It is what he said it was. AKA a Burma Jeep.
I guess it is configured to carry aviation ordnance? He states that it runs and has a clear title as well as all the parts and the winch.

I have tried to Google it for pictures and have not been able to find one cofigured like the one he has. May have been devised by the US Navy for the particular task of carrying the bombs to the aircraft.....any thoughts?

It is just kind of neat and he wants to sell it but did not tell me what he wants for it and I did not ask as my $ are tied up in my deuce project.

Dave08

SGT LongT

That would make an awesome display vehicle especially with a bomb in tow or in a sling [thumbzup] That configuration would make for a really nice maintenance vehicle as well :cool:

Atomic

Dave08,
Nope not the same person but I did meet John 2 weeks ago. He bought one on the trucks that I've been looking at. He seemed like a decent guy. However I did mention the word "government", and 30mins later my ears were still ringing.

He had much to say.

Dave08

MV Pars/Burma Bomb Truck

Dave08,
Nope not the same person but I did meet John 2 weeks ago. He bought one on the trucks that I've been looking at. He seemed like a decent guy. However I did mention the word "government", and 30mins later my ears were still ringing.

He had much to say.
Sounds like the same guy. I had a great time visiting when I picked up the parts. He was telling me about a couple of Navy guys wearing the blue cammies. This got him going! I like talking with him on several issues and he can talk. He has a lot of stuff that he seems to be wanting to get rid of and I told him that I would put the word out. I promised that I would not give out his contact information but would act as a go between which he said was alright. I can inquire for people as to what he may or may not have and then if the buyer wants to do business with him and he agrees, I will give the buyer his number. I do not want anyone thinking that I am jacking the prices up on what he wants to make a dollar. This is not my intent. I am just helping out a fellow Marine as well as anyone looking for MV parts.
Dave08

Dave08

Update 9/10/2011. Well finished cleaning and organizing the spare lot with all my "Junk and Debris" as the Arse Hole neighbor calls it. I corrected all the noted deficiencies of the code violations in order to make my CinC House happy. I removed all "Junk and Debris" I cut all the grass, and I have license plates coming for the vehicles. I neatly parked all MVs on the lot and there is only one thing left to do....that is park my flat bed trailer with the deuce and a half spare cab on it back in its original space. I have posted pictures of my lot as well as the neighbors lot who complains about me. You see, he lives behind me in a separate neighborhood. He purchased the lot directly behind his house some years ago, which happens to be next to my lot. I have included pictures of his lot and would like to know from all SS members what they think and whether I should be "Passive Aggressive" and turn in a complaint about his lot being overgrown (see photos) so that he has to start to jump through hoops like I do because of his complaints. Also turn in a complaint as to whether he had a permit to put up his fence and shed....Thoughts?.....
As I was finishing my clean up, another neighbor from my actual neighborhood came by walking his dogs. He stopped to talk and I asked him if he turned me in to Code Enforcement. He stated that he did not and that he would be willing to sign an affidavit that I want to take with me to the city council meeting that stipulates that he has no problem with me or my lot. He then told me that the suspected neighbor came in to his work and asked him what I was doing with all the stuff on my lot. He replied to the nosy neighbor that he did not know but was more than likely starting a salvage yard. Now this did not help the situation but you have to know my neighbor. More than likely this caused my nosy neighbor to turn me in again. You can see how this nosy neighbor has no Kahunna's and can not talk to me like a man but would rather turn me in to Code Enforcement anonymously for fear of retaliation.

Actually when you think about it, this entire situation can and is getting very childish... which is more than likely why I will not play his games and turn him in for anything. As to do so, stoops to his level. I was always taught and then put it in to practise in my Military Career that if there is a problem then you take it up with that particular individual and settle it like a Man. I would rather just Kick the neighbor's ARSE each time he complains. Yes, I know that is not very adult either. The way this country is going, we need to revert back to the old west days where everyone carried a shootin iron and resolved these petty differences with a legal and justified shooting. I guess that will never happen either. The city council meeting is being held this Tuesday and I will be there to complain about Ms. Barker and her ability to misuse her position, individually change laws and regulations to suite her needs, and take anonymous complaints and enforce them. My CinC House is arguing this idea with me and states that I should let it go. I see this as a quest now and that it is my calling to fight the ineptness of the Executive Director of Growth and Management and then to offer my services to the city in her place since I do not have a job!
Bottom line is what is the SS members' thoughts on the following courses of action:
1) Turn nosy neighbor in to Code Enforcement for over grown lot and possible permit violations
2) Address City Council on Tuesday and lodge formal complaint about Executive Director and Misuse of her Office and Powers
3) Ignore it all and hope it goes away
4) Offer to put up a fence if the city pays for it
5) file suite against the city for harassment and attempt to sue (sure could use the money ha! ha!)

I believe that eventually I will put up a fence with xenon lights at each back corner of the lot which shines all night long in the neighbors windows. I just have to get the money together to be able to afford the fence. This puts my MV project on the back burner as I would not be able to spend money on the MVs if I have to spend it on the fence; Catch 22 due to the neighbors. I ask everyone to comment on the pictures of both my lot and the neighbors lot. Oh, by the way, sold my 5 ton rear end last night and one M105A2 Trailer. While I was helping the individual load the rear end and let them look at the trailer, all the noisy neighbors had to turn on their lights and come out to see what was going on. They pay more attention to me than they would if a house was being broken in to.
I have to say that I am frustrated past the point of rational thinking anymore on this subject and have to calm down before going to the city council meeting.
I will post the neighbors lot pictures in the next message.
Dave08

Attachments

stampy

I wouldn't turn him in, because yes you would be stooping to his level. I would go talk to him/her. I had a neighbor who Objected to me putting up a fence on MY property , (he had to move his portable shed as it was over my property line about 1.5 feet). I went to talk to him. While the discussion wasn't as pleasant as I would like, I started by asking...nicely for him to move his shed even offering my help. When he decided to escalte the situation by aguing I calmly told him look, you have 2 sheds that are code violations. One is portable the other fixed, all I have to do is call the city and the fixed one will have to be demolished as it is over my property line (by 5" my fence is 6" inside my property line). I am trying to do the neighborly thing here and ASK before involving the city. At this point he walked away and his wife thanked me for being so reasonable and said he was a cranky old coot and they would take care of it. I said thank you and left. I never had to call the city. I would go talk to him/her and explain that someone turned you in to the city for a code violation and you are going around to soothe which ever neighbor was upset you can point out that his property is also a code violation but you wouldnt't turn him in because you are a good neighbor and if you had a problem with something you would come talk to him before you involved the city. You could find out what his problem really is and maybe even solve it so you both are happy (such as explaining that you are not running a scrap yard). Then you could get affidavits from everyone involved to take with you. If you turn him in, it's war, and while that may be the simplest way to deal with him, I think it is the LEAST effective. After that there will be no "working out" the problem

Augdog1964

Fine?

If you haven't been fined, or served a violation notice, then their complaints are probably going no where. I agree with several others, make sure you keep your eyes on potential motions to make your trucks illegal in the limits. LOTS of RV owners work up and found their city councils had made their legally owned units, illegal to keep at their houses in front OR behind... this used to be America!

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are the pictures of the nosy neighbors lot....Maybe this could become a primary anology of "People who live in Glass Houses should not throw Stones"

SS Members; I ask you to judge.
Actually, if you really want to know, yours looks a heck of a lot 'junkier' than his.

When did the shed appear? There is usually a grandfathers clause on permits for sheds like this, usually 2-3 years. Also, I don't know what your city ordinances are, but mine state that anything worth LESS than $1500 does not require a permit - unless structural.

After looking through pics of his lot, all of the issues you labeled do not look bad at all to me.

You might consider at least trying to talk with him like Stampy suggests. Or consider placing a partial wooden (privacy) fence 30' long and do your best to hide your hobby.

2cents

Dave08

Junkier?

Actually, if you really want to know, yours looks a heck of a lot 'junkier' than his.

When did the shed appear? There is usually a grandfathers clause on permits for sheds like this, usually 2-3 years. Also, I don't know what your city ordinances are, but mine state that anything worth LESS than $1500 does not require a permit - unless structural.

After looking through pics of his lot, all of the issues you labeled do not look bad at all to me.

You might consider at least trying to talk with him like Stampy suggests. Or consider placing a partial wooden (privacy) fence 30' long and do your best to hide your hobby.

2cents
Roger got it, by junkier do you mean more vehicles then he has? Not upset by your comment but see that you are in Lake Charles LA...and I do not mean Los Angeles or lower Alabama. Could you send me a picture of your place?

I am going to tell everyone the same thing that I told CinC House....Pacification did not work in Viet Nam and it is not going to work here! Start learning from History....

This is not America anymore, this is the Land of the Haves and Have Nots. My whinning neighbor is the Have Not and I am the Have....I could site the biblical quote from the movie "Pulp Fiction" where I am the righteous man and the neighbor is the tyranny of evil and Mr. 9mm can change the equation.

History has taught us that Pacification is not the answer and does not work. This is why I purchased property that was not in a Neo Nazi neighborhood otherwise Known as a Home Owners Association...My mistake was not buying property outside of the city limits.

Let me see a picture of your place with your MV and how neat it looks and then I will form an opinion. I have been fighting this to long to mess with criticism; I need suggestions on how to resolve the problem....Talking with the neighbor is a good suggestion, however, which neighbor is it? Since the city has changed the rules based on my particular situation and I will not be able to find out who the neighbor is; what do you suggest? Read the entire thread and then get back to me. Oh, by the way, used to run all around your neck of the woods as I grew up on the Gulf Coast.... Gautier...before it was a City in its own right, Pascagoula, Lake Ponch...., New Orleans, etc.... Graduate of USM in Hattiesburg and use to sell our blood plasma and then head to New Orleans in a VW for a fun packed weekend on $90.

let me know your suggestions and include photos. Then I will tell you the Southern Meaning of "That's Nice".
Thanks,
Dave08

SGT LongT

Roger got it, by junkier do you mean more vehicles then he has? Not upset by your comment but see that you are in Lake Charles LA...and I do not mean Los Angeles or lower Alabama. Could you send me a picture of your place?

I am going to tell everyone the same thing that I told CinC House....Pacification did not work in Viet Nam and it is not going to work here! Start learning from History....

This is not America anymore, this is the Land of the Haves and Have Nots. My whinning neighbor is the Have Not and I am the Have....I could site the biblical quote from the movie "Pulp Fiction" where I am the righteous man and the neighbor is the tyranny of evil and Mr. 9mm can change the equation.

History has taught us that Pacification is not the answer and does not work. This is why I purchased property that was not in a Neo Nazi neighborhood otherwise Known as a Home Owners Association...My mistake was not buying property outside of the city limits.

Let me see a picture of your place with your MV and how neat it looks and then I will form an opinion. I have been fighting this to long to mess with criticism; I need suggestions on how to resolve the problem....Talking with the neighbor is a good suggestion, however, which neighbor is it? Since the city has changed the rules based on my particular situation and I will not be able to find out who the neighbor is; what do you suggest? Read the entire thread and then get back to me. Oh, by the way, used to run all around your neck of the woods as I grew up on the Gulf Coast.... Gautier...before it was a City in its own right, Pascagoula, Lake Ponch...., New Orleans, etc.... Graduate of USM in Hattiesburg and use to sell our blood plasma and then head to New Orleans in a VW for a fun packed weekend on $90.

let me know your suggestions and include photos. Then I will tell you the Southern Meaning of "That's Nice".
Thanks,
Dave08
You sir deserve a beer :beer: PROST!!!!

stampy

Ok Dave we get it, you are pissed. I was NOT suggesting pacification, but if you know your neighbors you tend to have less trouble with them. I am sure you have an idea which one is the problem (based on your post). This guy/girl obviously doesnt have the cajones to come to you with the problem they have with your truck so I say go to them. Know the LAW before going around though and you could cite other problems around their home that "you would never report because you are such a good neighbor". My suggestions have been at the request for advice, I never said hide in your house or placate anyone. In fact I suggested a course of action that would identify the problem and hopefully solve it (fear of a junkyard for example). Remember you are among friends who want you to keep your MV's.

PaFarmer

Dave08

I do not mean any offense, just offering something to think about and to be clear, I am not offering you legal advice.

It is clear that you are upset. Your neighbor is not being very "neighborly" and that is a shame, but that does not negate the fact that you violated the property maintenance code (mow the grass, registration on vehicles and the like). Whether a neighbor turned you in or a code enforcement official was out looking for violations, the effect is the same, you needed to take care of some violations.

I undertand wanting to make sure that the person who turned you in complies with the same provisions, but I do not see that you have a right to be upset because you were compelled to comply with the law.

If you do not like the property maintenance code in you area, go to the council's scheduled meeting and request a revision, get a petition together with other similarly minded neighbors to do the same, or run for council and change the rules. If you were not complying with the law, your neighbor had the right to turn you in and the code official had the right to issue a notice of violation.

This is America, land for the free and home of the brave. We have free elections, the problem at the local level is folks do not want to be involved in local politics. It is easier to bitch about what is wrong with things than spend time and energy changing things within the system.

I am solicitor for four municipalities in PA, it is a small part of my practice. We deal with code issues all the time. All of the folks I work with are on council or the boards to make sure the government is doing what it should. Sure they are upset about what the State and Feds mandate from time to time, but at least they are trying to help their communities.

Awesome Possum

Thanks,
Dave08
Dave,
You are NOT at war! It's not called pacification; it is called "compromise". Yeah, I HATE to do it too, but sometimes, just sometimes", it is the wise thing to do. Discretion being the better part of valor and all that. Take a few steps back and breathe, re-evaluate the situation. If you can't do that you're just p***ing up a rope. And "Mr. 9mm" has no place in this kind of civil dispute, or discourse!

Dave08

Dave08

I do not mean any offense, just offering something to think about and to be clear, I am not offering you legal advice.

No Offense taken.
It is clear that you are upset.
Not really upset just really frustrated at the inability of people to have enough courage to address the issues they have face to face.
Your neighbor is not being very "neighborly" and that is a shame, but that does not negate the fact that you violated the property maintenance code (mow the grass, registration on vehicles and the like). You need to read the entire thread. The entire frustration factor is due to the fact that in reality, there are no violations....; Mowing the Grass- this is an unimproved wooded lot and is not required to be mowed. Peoples front yards were in worse shape for mowing than the lot was; junk and debris is up to interpretation of the terms "Junk and Debris", however, I removed and or picked up anything that could have been construed as junk and debris; and the unlicensed vehicles....every vehicle on the lot has a proper tag, is registered and insured, and or has the proper documentation showing that it has been applied for with the state DMV. So I ask where was the violtations? YOu tell me since you said that I violated the property maintenance code....Whether a neighbor turned you in or a code enforcement official was out looking for violations, the effect is the same, you needed to take care of some violations. Already taken care of; see above. I have called for the code enforcement officer to come out to reinspect and close the file; it has not occured yet. The grass will need mowed again before the Code Officer reinspects.

I undertand wanting to make sure that the person who turned you in complies with the same provisions, but I do not see that you have a right to be upset because you were compelled to comply with the law. Not upset about obeying the law; upset is a strong word. I obey the laws and require the same from others. People in glass houses should not throw stones. There is a thing called the law of the land and should be followed as well. I think John Wayne said it best in the movie "The Shootist" and I quote "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." If you can understand that then you can understand why I am frustrated and that I do have the right to be upset as I believe that I have been wrongly accused of violating, as you say, the law.

If you do not like the property maintenance code in you area, go to the council's scheduled meeting and request a revision, get a petition together with other similarly minded neighbors to do the same, or run for council and change the rules. If you were not complying with the law, your neighbor had the right to turn you in and the code official had the right to issue a notice of violation. What rights does the accused have when the accuser is wrong and there is hard evidence to back it up? According to your philosophy, the accused just has to grin and bear it....I think not. I do get involved with the local politics, have been to the council meetings and have spoken my opinion on various issues. You see, I do take these things seriously and try to work the SYSTEM to the betterment of all. However, I do not go out of my way to turn people in for suspected viiolations. I tend my own business and would appreciate that others do the same. If that were the case, this would be a better place for all.

This is America, land for the free and home of the brave. We have free elections, the problem at the local level is folks do not want to be involved in local politics. It is easier to bitch about what is wrong with things than spend time and energy changing things within the system. You are right; it is the land of the free and the home of the brave which I spent 26 years giving people that right by serving this great nation of ours in the US MArine Corps. See the above response. When I complain I do something about it; I do not sit idle on the sidelines. I do not make shadey deals at the local football games and on the golf course. I do not modify rules to suite my position or to help my friends. What is good for the goose is good for the gander or did someone change that analogy to do as I say and not as I do.

I am solicitor for four municipalities in PA, it is a small part of my practice. We deal with code issues all the time. All of the folks I work with are on council or the boards to make sure the government is doing what it should. Sure they are upset about what the State and Feds mandate from time to time, but at least they are trying to help their communities.
I applaud their efforts, I just hope that they take an objective look at both sides of the issue before forcing something down everyone's throat. You see there will always be someone that gets upset with the otucome. How many people are upset that PA is one of only 5 Commonwealths vice a State?

Trust me, although you do not have to, but I do know what you are saying and I take the time to research things first but at the same time, I do not look for things to accuse people of violating. I appreciate your comments, I really do but I do not think that 1) I have done a good enough job explaining it; or 2) you have not done a good enough job in researching the situation priot to passing judgement. Either way, the comments are always appreciated after all I dedicated my life in protecting that right for you.
Dave08