• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Code Enforcement

bearboley

I'm **** glad I live where my township is not even zoned I can stackem a mile high if I like. It is a ashame that in the land of the free we can not do with our property as we wish. I suppose when they get you in there sights they will not back off of you and turning them in or suing them seems to me to as a petty thing to do. Compromise is the only solution in this day and age unfortunately. I wish you luck hope you find a solution.

Dave08

War or Not

Dave,
You are NOT at war! It's not called pacification; it is called "compromise". Yeah, I HATE to do it too, but sometimes, just sometimes", it is the wise thing to do. Discretion being the better part of valor and all that. Take a few steps back and breathe, re-evaluate the situation. If you can't do that you're just p***ing up a rope. And "Mr. 9mm" has no place in this kind of civil dispute, or discourse!
War is the semantic term being used here as an analogy, and in this context I am in a disagreement with the City directly caused by the erroneous complaints of a neighbor; not the first time either. It appears that you personally would rather compromise than correct a wrong. To me, this is your way of being a Pacifist. To not stand up for your rights when you are being accused, right or wrong, and you are willing to compromise to make it go away then this is Pacification to a degree. How many times would you be willing to compromise? I would rather resolve the issue and if I am wrong, then I will correct my deficiencies. Of course, if I had a problem, I would at least be man enough to at least speak to the individual first. My discretion is to work with the City and operate under the same laws as everyone else. I can see that you take everything literally and Mr. 9mm was apparently offensive to you. I guess maybe I should compromise and not use analogies and/or quotes. Thank you for your comments and it is my rope and there are things that a Man just can not compromise on and live with as it will continue to happen again and again.
Thanks,
Dave08

Dave08

Ok Dave we get it, you are pissed. I was NOT suggesting pacification, but if you know your neighbors you tend to have less trouble with them. I am sure you have an idea which one is the problem (based on your post). This guy/girl obviously doesnt have the cajones to come to you with the problem they have with your truck so I say go to them. Know the LAW before going around though and you could cite other problems around their home that "you would never report because you are such a good neighbor". My suggestions have been at the request for advice, I never said hide in your house or placate anyone. In fact I suggested a course of action that would identify the problem and hopefully solve it (fear of a junkyard for example). Remember you are among friends who want you to keep your MV's.
Stampy,

Well said and I agree with you whole heartedly. This is exactly why I went to the city to try and find out who complained. If I could find out for sure, then I would talk with them. The funny thing is that if it is who I think it is, then I am surprised as I have personally helped him with his problems, loaned him tools and helped him move some things from his daughters house as he needed the muscle. I did not even complain when he parked his 18 Wheeler in front of his lot when he was attempting to be a truck driver.....he no longer does that work. As far as my other neighbors, I get along with all of them to my knowledge. I have loaned tools, have worked on their homes for them, helped them during the hurricanes, etc... For the most part, this is why this is most frustrating to me. The next issue is just doing what is right and not "Compromising". I will correct anything that needs to be corrected and I will obey the laws and try to work within the system to change the laws that I do not agree with. However, until those laws are changed then I will obey them just like everyone else is suppose to. I think to many people just take things that are thrown at them without trying to correct the wrongs.

The other thing that is amazing is that my real neighbors (people in my neighborhood) most have talked to me about the MVs and wanted to know 1) what they were; and 2) what I was going to do with them. They did not seem to have a problem with them at least not that they stated. More than likely they will be the first ones to ask to use them to move something. One of my neighbors has an M37 that he keeps in his back yard (no fence and no one is complaining; however one M37 is not the same as two M109A2s and some trailers)

I realize that I am among friends within the MV community which was never in dispute. However, I am a Hardhead and I have to, by nature, see this through to the end. If I am worng then I am man enough to admit it and I will correct my deficiencies. And if this becomes the truth and I am wrong, then I will announce it here in SS and let everyone know. I will also explain what I have to do or what I did to resolve the issue.

Thanks again for everyone's input. Stampy, actually good advise and we will see what the outcome is. YOu know, it is like the NRA....they fight every little thing that may or may not infringe on our 2nd Amendment Rights and they continue to do so. For instance, Nyclad bullets, the type of round that will pierce body armor; the NRA argued successfully to keep those particular rounds from being illegal. I was not for that initiative and was one of the few that wanted them off the streets and not available to the common market. You do not need nor are you going to spend the money on Nyclad Bullets to target practise. That particular round is good for one thing and one thing only and that is to pierce body armor used by the Police and the Military. However, to give an inch with regards to the issues dealing with 2nd Amendment rights gives a mile in the effort to abolish those rights. That was an overkill on the explanation but is a reasonable analogy to this situation.

Thanks for the suggestions, of which none of them have been bad suggestions, and for allowing me to vent, but I will see this through to the end.
Dave08

Marcel

War is the semantic term being used here as an analogy, and in this context I am in a disagreement with the City directly caused by the erroneous complaints of a neighbor; not the first time either. It appears that you personally would rather compromise than correct a wrong. To me, this is your way of being a Pacifist. To not stand up for your rights when you are being accused, right or wrong, and you are willing to compromise to make it go away then this is Pacification to a degree. How many times would you be willing to compromise? I would rather resolve the issue and if I am wrong, then I will correct my deficiencies. Of course, if I had a problem, I would at least be man enough to at least speak to the individual first. My discretion is to work with the City and operate under the same laws as everyone else. I can see that you take everything literally and Mr. 9mm was apparently offensive to you. I guess maybe I should compromise and not use analogies and/or quotes. Thank you for your comments and it is my rope and there are things that a Man just can not compromise on and live with as it will continue to happen again and again.
Thanks,
Dave08

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile -- hoping it will eat him last
-Sir Winston Churchill

stampy

Dave I agree that "When you are right you shouldn't back down". I wish you good luck in dealing with code enforcement. Try to find out who turned you in and then they can be persona non grata as far as getting help from you or tools or anything. Unfortunately there's not much you can do to punish someone who makes bad (false) reports except shun them, and get the rest of the neighborhood on board too....just be sure they are the one. If you get sick of Florida head north I have a piece of property you can park your MV's on anytime, and there is no one around to complain:mrgreen:

Awesome Possum

Thanks,
Dave08
Knowing when to pound your chest in a show of being an Alpha male is all well and good, especially when trying to show off to the others of the troop, (or just yourself,) that you are, in fact, an Alpha male.

I get pissed off fairly often at the inequities of life, but I also know when it just isn't worth it. I once had a guy almost run me over in a Lowe's parking lot. I said something in a calm manner that this had happened. Nothing rude or threatening. He threatened to kick my a$$ and looked fully willing and able to do it. I backed off because it wasn't worth having my butt kicked for something this silly. For you to insinuate that I am somehow not a Man for not agreeing with you is absurd.

If someone tries to harm me or my loved ones, I am ready to use my CCW to protect them. Mr 9mm lives at my house as well, but is not even thought of, or mentioned as, an option for solving civil problems, whether jokingly or not. Words do have meaning, and throwing them around carelessly can and often does have serious effects.

There, I've pounded my chest as well and I'm STILL not an Alpha male. The problem, Dave, is that you're pissing up MY rope too, and perhaps that of others. And all that chest-pounding IS harming the reputation of the others in the MV community. This whole thread has become absurd and pointless. You've been given good counsel by many, advising you to find a compromise with your neighbors. I've advised several times to find a community mediation service to come up with a solution. (Half of my Master's is a Certificate in Alternative Dispute Resolution, so I know what I speak of.) But for mediation to work it requires BOTH parties to be willing to compromise. You, clearly, are not.

So, without further ado, I ask the mediators to
KILL THIS THREAD!

Prankster

Quick, and Easy!

1.) Buy their House!
2.) Check on their Taxes for Auction, and do the Bid, and buy.
Afterwards, have the house moved quickly so if they regain title there is no home to come back to when all is said, and done. The neighbor must render payment for all improvements made to said property. So, plow, and plant a long slow growing crop. Most places allow you to harvest your crop long after the paper work is done.
3.) Lease the mineral rights for a limited time to search for: gold, oil, copper Ect. Then bring in some heavy equipment, and reek havoc.

Dave08

Update for today, 16 September. Took the time to go to City Hall today and try to inquire as to my reinspection. First off, no one home that could give me an answer; it was lunch time (1100). I then went to the bulletin board to get some information off the Code Enforcement Citatiion. I wanted to see if they actually listed the code numbers that I was suppose to be in violation of so that I could do some further research. Yes, I did get a White copy of the citation but gave it back to the Secretary at the City Hall office with my personal information on it so that Ms. Barker could call me back....which she never did. Well to my dismay, the pink copy of the citation that is suppose to be posted on the bulletin board was no longer there. Does this mean that the case has been closed....did the reinspection occur without my knowledge....or does this mean that I will receive something in the mail summoning me to a City Council Hearing? I do not know and I guess/assume (which you know what they say about the use of that word.... "Makes an a$$ out of u and me with u in the middle") since the city does not notify you of any reinspection results, that time will tell. The saga is not over yet and I will keep all informed.
Dave08

1redgmc

I just spent the last 40 minutes reading every post in this thread.

I've lived this he11 myself and it ain't no fun. Was out with my 100' tape measure beside my barn, staking out where I was gonna punch some holes for the lean-to on my pole barn. Had all the materials lined up to make sure everything matched all purtyful and such.

My 70-something old woman neighbor came over and asked what I was doing. I politely told her. She got all snippy and said "You don't have enough room to build there. The HOA says you have to maintain 10' off the property line when building and I don't want to look at an eye-sore."

I just stood there in disbelief... thinking HOA? What HOA?

I asked the guy next door on the other side and he said "Yeah, I'm the HOA president and we have one and it says that."

WTF? I've lived here almost nine years and just now find out we have an HOA? (This leads into another story for another time)

aua

Bottom line is that the COUNTY says I have to maintain 3' from the side property line, gotta file a permit for the lean-to, and that the HOA "may" be allowed to impose greater restrictions, blah, blah, blah... so I cease all forward motion while I try to sort out the issues and facts, but the grumpy old woman (who has nothing else to do) in the meantime stirs up a bunch of crap with my other neighbors and soon I'm feelin' just like Dave.

My solution? A 40' CONEX BOX planted where I was gonna build the lean-to and it is EXACTLY 38" from the property line. 100% legal and no HOA clauses nor county issues. I didn't "BUILD" anything, it is not a structure and is considered the same as one of those storage sheds on skids and no permit nor any other "approvals" are needed. Why didn't I think of this sooner?!?

Grouchy hag is furious, tries to stir up more crap with neighbors, calls the county, they come out, look, measure with their tape, determine I am not violating any codes or laws and away they go. This ticks off 'helga the furious' even more.

So now Broom Hilda has planted some sort of fast growing bushes so she doesn't have to look at it and I have dry storage for less than what I was gonna spend on the lean-to. If I ever decide i am done with it, the scrap value (at least right now) is greater than what I paid for the unit and delivery. WIN-WIN

Keep a level head Dave and smile when the sh!t gets deep. I'm pullin' for ya!

[thumbzup]

chicklin

Disclaimer: this is not aimed at anyone in particular, just a general comment on the topic of the thread.

HOA's and zoning laws are there for a reason. It has nothing do with taking away your rights as an American and has everything to do with maintaining property values, safety and a standard of appearance.

I live in a neighborhood with an HOA and as much as it kills me to live in suburbia, it was a trade-off we were willing to make for other life reasons (jobs, kids, schools, etc.). In our area, the title company is required to provide the HOA covenants and restrictions at closing and everyone is required to sign a statement attesting that they are aware of and read them.

I've sat on the HOA board in the past and, let me tell you, I've never seen a bunch of adults act like such children. Raising **** about a bunch of rules that they agreed to live by. No one is forcing them to live here. If you don't like it, either get the rules changed (there are provisions for that) or move somewhere else. It's the property owner's responsibility to agree to and abide by the rules. No one is taking your rights away, you agreed to it.

Now, that being said, can neighbors be unnecessary a**holes about these things? Absolutely. I can't even fathom turning in a complaint unless it was an absolutely heinous violation or safety concern. But, a**hole or not, if they are right, there isn't a whole **** of a lot you can do about it and, personally, I think you are acting like a child if you throw a fit about it when you're clearly in the wrong. Complaining about your rights as an American being taken away is just a smoke screen hiding the fact that you screwed up.

Now, back to the specifics of this thread. If the original poster is in the right and is not violating any rules (as he has said), then he has nothing to worry about and this should be a non-issue. If he is in violation and this turns ugly, I'm going to have a real hard time finding any sympathy for him. The fact that this has turned into such a drama leaves me wondering if there is something fishy here. The old saying "methinks thou dost protest too much" comes to mind.

Dave08

Not looking for sympathy at all. I agree with the premise of the HOA but the HOA rules and Regulations here in Florida have to be revealed prior to going to the closing table. It is not right for an individual to find out about a HOA at the closing table as a lot of time and effort went in to selecting a property, making an offer, having the offer accepted, loan processing, and closing scheduled only to find out that there is a HOA at the closing table. This does not sound correct and seems to violate the rules of full disclosure.

Protest to much.....lets see. Several complaints in the past all of which were erroneous and caused a lot of time to prove otherwise. This episode, again erroneous and caused a lot of time and grief. I say it is erroneous as the City has not seemed fit to come back and do a reinspection and I found out that the violation notice is no longer posted on the City Hall's bulletin board; see yesterday's post.

Being in the right does not always seem to work when you are dealing with politics. You must get involved and put a stop to the complaints by participating in the dealings of the government. I will gladly admit when I am wrong. However, my dealings with these matters in the past and now, along with my research into the Codes of the City, my visits to the City Hall and trying to resolve the issues with an unknown individual has taken a lot of time and effort and for what.....? Because someone does not like what someone else is doing?

Complain to much; protest to much....I think not. Trying to resolve an injustice in my mind is what this entire thing is about. What is the right answer...I do not know but whatever the outcome, I will abide by the decision.

I am waiting for the next move what ever that will be. I am contemplating a fence and the cost of the materials to put it up. I will do the work myself. I have researched the ordinances and for the county I have found that what is behind the fence, hidden from view from the street can not be construed as any type of violation. However, I can not find anything, as of yet, for the City. I am trying to find out if the City, in absence of a specific code, defaults to the County Codes. We will see....bottom line is I have to obtain a permit for the fence before anything else.
Dave08

SGT LongT

OH BRAINSTORM :!: 20ft high concrete "T" walls. They are temporary because they can be moved, go completely with the MV theme, and can be painted with a nice mural :jumpin:

engineer233

I have a 1 acre lot and my neighbor didn't like where I parked my deuce. Bought a trailer to go with it and it got worse. I tried talking and reasoning with no luck . I try really hard to be nice to them . His dog comes over and does his buissness on my landscaping, patio, wheels and tires , and yet I still try to be civil. Three weeks ago his dog planted a good one for me just by the car door and I didn't see it. My next truck a M923 will be here as soon as my euc clears. Let the battle begin . The gloves are coming off and either me or the neighbor or the dog will win . We will just have to see but the odds will be in my favor I promise !!! I feel your pain Dave08

paramedic7831

Lots of times when sneaky pessimistic people are confronted in a stern but polite way, they back off and find something else to kick dirt at. I understand the benefits from home owner associations. But in my opinion HOA is just a legal way to segregate. I mean admit it. These zones usually have better schools, higher property value, and just better people in general. But as a trade off you feel regulated. MV is a hobby for most of us. People who don’t share the same interest or understand the sport shouldn’t really be held to point the finger at. Reverse the situation; you wouldn’t want a neighbor to build chicken houses in your back yard and say “hey this is my land and my interest “. And hence the reason I prefer the sticks to reside. No meddling neighbors, Just me my stuff and my opinion rules all =-)

Awesome Possum

I have a 1 acre lot and my neighbor didn't like where I parked my deuce. Bought a trailer to go with it and it got worse. I tried talking and reasoning with no luck . I try really hard to be nice to them . His dog comes over and does his buissness on my landscaping, patio, wheels and tires , and yet I still try to be civil. Three weeks ago his dog planted a good one for me just by the car door and I didn't see it. My next truck a M923 will be here as soon as my euc clears. Let the battle begin . The gloves are coming off and either me or the neighbor or the dog will win . We will just have to see but the odds will be in my favor I promise !!! I feel your pain Dave08
Get a game camera and get the goods on the dog, then take it over to the animal control folks. You have been a good and reasonable neighbor trying to work it out. Now's the time to "bring appropriate pressure to bear".

BTW, did the neighbor have any specific objections to the trucks? Usually people will bitch about everything when it's actually something very small and easily fixed. Does the city have any problem, or any accursed HOA? Or is the dispute limited just to Fido and his dog?