• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Code name BART (Bad A** Recovery Truck)

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"4 are you remounting the spades on the new bed? "
4 -- That I have been kicking around, I have two sets of spades but no poles (have a set of frozen together boom support poles that I could use), I need one set of spades to make outrigger pads out of, the other set of spades was going to the other crane (second mk15a1), but I could make a set of outriggers when the time comes, so yes more then likely spades will be on BART when it goes to its home
I have a set of the spades and poles, so if you need dims/sketch of the poles, give me a shout. They are pretty stout, 3/8" - 7/16" or maybe even 1/2" wall!!!
View attachment 597150spade1.jpgspade pole end.jpgtow spade & part #'s.jpg
pic 3 - the sand coloured one...

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Plenty of room in there for it.
Yes, takes a lot of room when designing a BIG truck build, because You CAN NOT do a successful build UNLESS you see the finished build, the details and all, BEFORE the build is ever started.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I got this question from Z, a interesting question so I thought I would post it here so others could know the reason.

"Hey Ron - with the A frame - how come you are using pear links/chain bridle instead of making the support frame go right to the ram knuckle?"

I rigged it this way to get the loading on the diagonal braces/supports, this puts the load on the winch mounting faces, if I went straight to the center shaft, I would have dead center on it which would have required a lot more bracing, the way it is now, the sleeve keeps the weight on the supports and at the same time spreads the weight on the center shaft, the sleeve pivots on the center shaft as the A frame moves up or down.

The reason for the "pear" links is that the shape keeps it where it needs to be (the back pulls in to the retention trough with the upper/lower sides up against the retention ring) , I made the inner retainer rings large enough that the links can not pull over the retainers, a round link would tend to want to pull over because the sides would be higher then the retainers which would have required a huge retention ring and would have made it hard to rig. The whole BART build is designed so ONE person can do ALL the rig up/down, Two people would make it like a walk in the park. The mk15a1 IS a massive labor intensive undertaking to rig it up for its mission then the the same to rig down, this is WHY BART was designed the way it is, a two person crew for BART is needed for safety BUT one man CAN do everything without straining his self. .

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay 6 months later lets get this thing out the door :)

Awesome build but Ronald is way toooooooooooooooooo finicky on some items

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Okay 6 months later lets get this thing out the door :)

Awesome build but Ronald is way toooooooooooooooooo finicky on some items
Details, details, details, and everything had to go though a design phase, build/fit phase, install. on the mk15a1, the crane was about the last item set on the frame, on BART the crane had to go first, even the rear winch can not be even placed till the crane was installed because the forward winch mounts are part of the rear crane mounts, then the process starts all over again for the winch mounting, then the next step, and so on. Then on top of this the hydraulics was a whole another design program, then a wiring design program because working with 12v and 24v systems, this system had to include some fail safes so the change over valve could not left on, so it could not be accidentally changed over.

Even a nice bob takes time, anybody can do a bob build, the details is what makes a nice build from a everyday bob build, details like adding bumperetts, the correct placements of the tail lights, adding clearance lights, the correct placement of the rear cross member, correct placement of the trailer air connections, even the correct gap between the bed and the spare tire, if super singles or 1600s, the correct spare tire carrier, ect., ect.

I had the picture of the finished build in my head, had to design and build to that picture, some parts were easy, others took some creative design work, again it is the details that make the build, if the builder is not happy with the build, the client will not be, the details are what make the client say" a bit over estimated build time but worth it".

ALL of the above is done by one person ME

Plus real life, weather, rallys, ect. interferes and sucks build time.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Why didn't he build it in the maint tent?! All that work just to be left out in the cold...

Tsk tsk.
1 -- Tent is to small
2 -- Tent is not at MY ao
3 -- Tent has rock for a floor, not concrete
4 -- Ect.
5 -- Ect.

tim292stro

Hear, hear. I've said it before - it's a hobby not a business, it's supposed to cost money, space, and time. We don't normally expect a return on the expenditure other than our enjoyment [thumbzup]

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
48  firsr bed fitting, 0 clearence.jpg
First bed fitting

49  0 clearence at crane mount.jpe
0 Clearance at crane mount.

50  Deck layout, plan A.jpe
Plan A deck layout.

51  side of plan A deck layout.jpe
Plan A deck layout,
I got looking at plan A deck layout, when I realized that if you were not a midget (anybody under 6' in this case because the deck is 5'3" above ground level, then the lower lip of the box is another 6" ) you would have a hard time getting stuff in/out of the side boxes, would have a hard time working the latch on top of the boxes, and the boxes would be in the way if the front winches were used. So plan B layout.

54  Deck layout plan B.jpg
Plan B deck layout.

55  plan B deck layout.jpg
PLan B deck layout

Sorry, I had some how double posted, so I asked if the first post could be deleted, the MODS did as I asked, I guess along with the extra post deletion, the pictures in the saved post went also.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks