• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Code name BART (Bad A** Recovery Truck)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Wow any pics of the whole truck so far? Paint choices? And uhm....wow...
Will not have a complete paint job, only paint to blend in.

Pictures of the whole truck is a bit hard to get at the moment, can not get far enough away, it is not like i am taking a picture of a itty bitty 5t.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
56  spade storage pockets.jpg
Spade storage, need to work out where to put the spade poles.

As a side note, I have another set of spades (no poles or pins) if anybody is interested.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
57  set to replace leaking hoist winch hyd. hose.jpg
The hyd. hoses are a 4 wire impregnated cloth cover then painted (many layers of paint), this kind of hose cover invites moisture intrusion over time, this moisture causes the wire in the hose to rust, as long as the hose does not move, bend ect, things are not to bad though in time the hose WILL blow out, once the hose is moved, bent, ect, the wires break (you can here the snap as you move the hose), causing tiny pin holes in the hose liner that show up as a seep on the outer cover of the hose, so the only fix is to change to hose, so far I changed all the hoses in the turntable, had 3 seeping, so changed all 6 because the crane has to be standing up to get to them and if I blow one with the crane down would not make my day, I have also replaced 4 other hoses because of the seep issue. I have a few seeps and weeps at the controls due to dry O-rings, fixing these will be on the finish build punch list.

58  Bed set and waiting to be secured..jpg
Self set the bed, using tie rods to secure the bed to the truck, the reason for the rods and not bolted brackets is the m1070 has a lot of frame twist due to the longggggggggg frame rails, the tie rods will allow the frame to twist while keeping the bed in place, bolted brackets would be to ridged which would put a lot of strain on the frame, the frame movement has to be in the bed mounting because the MK bed will NEVER flex, it is built like it is made for a tank to run across and not dent it.

Working on the spade polls and bushing for the spade (polls are 3 1/2"od, spade spade poll socket in a touch under 4"id so a 1/4" thick side wall bushing is needed. I am using my m819 boom supports for the spade polls, the inner tube and outer tube are rusted together which gives me a 1/2" thick wall, also one end was cut off before I got the 819, I will weld the inner and outer together just because I should, then bore the spade retainment pin holes.

Well that is it for

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Well here is a up date,
60 -- Bed deck with ladder mount and spade poll retainer.jpg,
Here is the side view of the bed with the ladder mount and retaining strap, the spade poll storage retaining pin,The ladder retaining strap is not there for looks even though it is not needed because the spade poll retaining pin keeps the ladder from going anywhere, the strap is there BECAUSE the military straps everything so the builders in the shop added a retaining strap.

61 -- another view of 60.jpg
Another view of the above

62 --View of bed and spade pockets from behind cab.jpg
View from standing on the hyd. tank, showing the spade poll storage, the spade storage pockets and the outrigger pad storage. I was a first was going to mount the spade polls under the spade overhang on the deck, then realized that to get to the chain (big chain) lockers, you would need to climb across the polls which would lead to injury by trips and falls, so plan B, the current mounting, this was striped off the MK15 trailer end wall towards the crane, on the Marine unit it is manual job of pulling/reset the spade polls, a VERY heavy job, so on BART NO manual lifting of heavy items, on BART the poll storage brackets are welded to some 2" square tubing that is bolted to the outside of the chain lockers. I mounted lift eyes with PERMANENT shackles (if someone needs a shackle, it will be not gotten from the polls), the same with the lift shackles for the spades, I made a lift bridle, a pear ring with two legs and safety hooks to set and retrieve the spade group, according to the bridle part weight rating, a safe working load should be about 2 tons per leg, way over kill. The spade polls are wrecker long boom supports, the lower height adjusting hole bosses were removed and the holes plug welded to fit into the spade , I did not do the same with the upper adjusting holes because it was not needed and since this is a motor pool build, it would be done only if needed not for looks. I had to bush the spades 3/16 because the polls had a to loose fit.

Everything that be taken off, will be before painting the green base coat, then all put back for the camo blending. got the rear work lights mounting holes drilled, working on the wireing.

Well that is about it for now.

And again, any questions please ask or any suggestions/comments fell free to post, It is not unheard of of me overlooking something.

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice work Ron. It's all about "Function, Function, Function". No d@mn plastic cup holders on this build!!! : ) : )

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Nice work Ron. It's all about "Function, Function, Function". No d@mn plastic cup holders on this build!!! : ) : )
But just got the contract to add AC, once BART phase 1 is done then phase 2 (AC)

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NOT BART but same idea ish...

hmmmm - can't seam to be able to post the pic I copied...

facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1098034470231398&set=gm.883849865067479&type=3&theater

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
sorry - I keep trying to load the pic, but nothing. So imagine a HET, with twin boom Holmes 850 behind the twin drag winches and a civi underlift at the back, all painted camo green/black etc...

The FB link does work cut n paste though.

There is also a pic of an M916A1/2 all stretched out, civi rotator body added and painted shiney red n black! Sweet too!
civi wrecker.jpg

d@mn it - so this one I can post. W-T-Heck.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks