• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Come and Go Radiator Leak

Txcoop

I have a newly refurbished bobbed M923A2 which the radiator was flushed and renewed with coolant. No leaks were detected until last week when small drips from the bottom center of the radiator appeared. About a half cup dripped on the concrete over several days, usually in the early morning. A cold front moved through here (50 degrees, cold for Texas) and it stopped. I drove it yesterday for about 30 minutes and no drip to date. Having said of this, does anyone have a clue what might be going on? I have made arrangements for a new radiator, but do want to mindlessly replace the existing one.
Oh, by the way this is my first post. This site is invaluable when owning a MV.
Thanks,
Randy

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say you may have a hose clamp that may need tightened up.
Also welcome to the site.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been there check all bolts are tight.
If they are new gasket time easy to make out of cork material.

74M35A2

Hi Randy, welcome. The radiator cap is a conventional type, so you can easily pressurize the system to find the leak. Don't go higher than the pressure rated on the cap though, say 10psi to be safe.

The radiator has "tanks" on each side of it, and they are secured to the main core with what seems like hundreds of nuts and bolts. Feel the bottom of each tank, and see if that is where your leak is from. It could be running down a channel and dripping at another location than what it appears. Like said above, these end tanks can be re-gasketed.

I paid $550 for a brand new radiator, and that was a pretty good deal, so try to find the leak and fix it before just buying another one.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Mine drips sometimes when it is just her time of the month. Shes moody. It comes and goes.

lindsey97

Shutterstat could be failing, and pressurizing the entire cooling system with air, causing a leak at the weakest point. I had a shutterstat fail, it caused the truck to puke coolant out of the overflow tank like it had a failed head gasket. Also had bubbles of coolant coming out at multiple hose clamps. Tightening didn't help. Replaced shutterstat and all is good.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the plane on my way up to Idaho to get my 923a2 and bring it home, I sat next to a nice guy from Fairview. "I live in Frisco, where's Fairview."

He answered, "That's why I like it. Nobody knows where we are."

Home of Michael Crabtree that played for Texas Tech.

Anyway. Welcome. My radiator does the same. Leaked all the fluid out last week. It was the cork gasket on the side. I tightened up some ridiculously loose bolts and it barely seeps now. I will remove the side of the radiator and make an RTV gasket for it.

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Also had mine leak on the drivers side bottom like Coffey1. Tightened up all the side tank bolts and she is dry now. Hope she stays that way.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Randy, tried to send you a PM, but it didn't seem to work. Shoot me a PM, you seem to be pretty close to me. Just down the road since I'm in NW Frisco, plus I'd like to see a pic of your rig. Sounds pretty neat.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just tightened up my tank bolts today.
Leak gone.
Was doing a slight drip on drivers side when engine first started.
Went away once coolant was hot enough to expand the metal.

All dry now.