• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coming Attraction - project #6 M43 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
Just a question for you or any one that wants to answer. i will be getting my jeep frame back from the welders when i get home and the boxed part of the frame that is being replaced is not real accessible to paint real well in side the boxed part, any way i can get some paint in there so it doesn't rust out on me again? I thought about getting that spray undercoating and try to spray it in as best i can. ANY suggestions!

Attachments

Last edited:

zout

Tigger - I boxed in a rusted area on Dingers frame - but on Debs I used a pressure washer and really good soap at least haf dozen times - then I used acide brite to get any rust out. After it dried out I blew it out - then sprayed oxide primer up in it. Then his got Hurculiner on top of that and painted on top of that - I just soaked the living crap out of that area - but I also put a drain hole in it big enough for wet dirt to get out.

Hope that helps

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
Tigger - I boxed in a rusted area on Dingers frame - but on Debs I used a pressure washer and really good soap at least haf dozen times - then I used acide brite to get any rust out. After it dried out I blew it out - then sprayed oxide primer up in it. Then his got Hurculiner on top of that and painted on top of that - I just soaked the living crap out of that area - but I also put a drain hole in it big enough for wet dirt to get out.

Hope that helps
Thanks i have a gal of rust remover , and i will try the pressure idea first then use it and then spray a liberal amount of rustoleum down the frame thru the boxed part. thanks for the advice!

zout

My friend - the only way I knew how to answer was I had to cut the rust out of Buds in the identical area and build a sectionall insert - plus rebuild the whole master cyl area. It may not be perfect to get me into the pearly gates someday - but I will be dead by the time its rusted out on the next sole.

Its like the 43 - it will be years before some one goes as deep as I did - that would be cause they have enoiugh time to screw aroiund as I do - they will sit back and badmouth the wotk I did. By then I will be able to put a curse on them from above roflrofl

Knowing you - you will do it justice and I sit back and am proud to know you and the work you do. But then again I am your brother and I am prejudice.

zout

I am not very smart and I need HELP - can anyoine assist me in pointing me to where the info is of what the ambulances were equipped with as far as medical supplies - to be a working ambulance of that era. The end project is a working ambulance for bringing to events.

That includes Med M1 Helmets to boot - just like it rolled up on site.

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
I got a good piece of frame from a place in NY. it goes from the trans to the shock mount. the welder is cutting the frame and fitting this good piece in its place. He builds race cars so he is good at this kind of thing. I am doing my jeep as a medic jeep WWII era. i have a list of things they used i will dig it up and get a copy to you.

Attachments

zout

At the Roswell Memorial ceremonies yesterday the key speaker was a retired Army nurse Donna Ross - here is the story which is a tv special:
The Atlanta Journal

As she was telling her story from Vietnam and remembering the helicpoters bringing in the wounded and the Red Cross Ambulances meeting the helicopters at the pad to being the wounded back to the hospital I could not shake the picture out of my head pertaining to the M43 now getting worked on and its mission.

I had a brief time to chat with her for a couple minutes as she was back looking at the trucks - she is very interested in seeing the ambulance once done and what a piece of history that would be.

As far as working on the cab - I am going to stay off it a couple days and get my core temp back to where it needs to be - will be in the garage opening sandblasting components that were taken off with the largest fan I can find to blow on me.

Hope you all had an opportunity to HONOR our service personnel this weekend.

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
Zout i just got a e-mail back from a friend that served in the air cav. he said they carried the m-5 medic bag , the ambulance had all the stuff to resupply the bag numerous times. the ambulance could also have o2 and plasma. but plasma was hard to keep in the field. The medics in the field carried ether the m-3 or m-5 depending on the unit. he said it was bandage and go back then. control the bleeding and get to field hospital as fast as you could. not like today they have all the goodies. he said they just had the basic stuff in the field. If you look up m-5 medic bag you can see the list of contents should be able to get most of it on line. the glass IV bottle and tube might be hard to find . hope this helps. they also had 1 or 2 5gal water cans.

Last edited:

zout

From a friend of mine - had liquid refreshments of coconut milk and CROWN while I sat in the shade of the garage tonight and sandblasted the grille - whole fuel can assembly - drivers spare tire latch assembly - getting body heat back to normal to I can go attack the rest of the truck.

Maybe he did not mean Crown with the other ?[thumbzup]

Tigger - the next thing is getting all the supplies so when I am done I can loader er up.

I did find a source for flak jackets - M1 helmets are outrageous in price and I would need to sell a couple bonds to even think about getting one to put the Med Insignia on it for the truck.
M3 & M5 are absolutely correct.

zout

Thanks Zak - I have gotten quite a few items from Eastwood - man they have been around for years.

That stuff also allows the frame to be primed with oxide I wish to use and then topcoated. Having that flooring out of there lets me get the x-members as well.

zout

Got back on to sandblasting the drivers side door/panel behind the door which is the front section of the box. Got into the fender as well. It was 103 on the shady side (sort of) till I called er quits for the night. Still recovering from this past weekends baking in the sun.

No pics - got a lot more to do to this side along with replacing the panel above the drivers door which is already made and standing by for install.

I plan on backing up the 109 and somehow tarping a shade area over the nose so I can hammer down on it again this weekend - will try to catch up with pics then.

My new pressure pot suppose to be here end of the week which was shipped from Ohio today.

zout

First thing tonight, I got my anti burning your brains to the dirt tarp up - its at least 20 degree's cooler under it with the reflective side ^^^^^.

Got the panel behind the drivers door done - interior door sealing area done - pounded on the fender some more - this paint work is a piece of chit all the way to the metal and that is where I am going to have to take it - hope its ready for a ride.

Plans for the weekend mission: get the panel above the drivers door cut out and welded in place. get that drivers fender done and start working up and over the hood - then I can get onto the bottom windshield cowl where it is rusted out thoroughly.

Crossing my fingers that the pressure blaster will show up Fri or at least Mon while I can give it my undivided attention.

See PB - once I get a little shade on the painted drivers side rear full panel - there are some ripples in er - but once its done - no one ever takes their eyes off the RED CROSS because it just stands out. (at least that is what I tell myself in my pea brain) it is better than two large gapping holes that do not belong in it still there.
:grd::grd::grd::grd::grd::grd:

Attachments

zout

Pressure sand blaster showed up yesterday - got off my lazy butt and worked on it after getting out of work today.

Temp pic was wacko - its 119 by the truck.

I waited over 15 minutes for pics to download - had to go do better things that watch - pm me if you want pics

zout

Panel above the door also cut out - blower filler strip area. Will get the one I made in place today. Will get on the body work and try to get this all into primer end of day today.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks