• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coming Attraction - project #6 M43 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

zout

I have "split" Kubota tractors and replaced clutches in them - I have owned an A & B John Deere. If a man made it - a man can fix it - it takes common sense and a few TM manuals to get er done. I was also a parts manager at an ole Massey Furgeson dealer up in Lakeview Mich yrs ago - we also had to run the shop personnel.

So what is the job market up for for an imbasile like me :roll:

After what I just walked out of here at work since 9 this morning I would go work as a welcome man at Wal Mart.

zout

Got the tire carrier rack blasted to smitherines tonight along with the grille end pieces. When I got home it actually rained for about 1/2 hour and I wish it didn;t - it got hotter than blazes out and humidity off the charts.

As well I got the passenger side Duraglassed and will work on that tomorrow.
I will pay the grandsons to pick up all the blast material for $20 and make out like a bandit and sift through it all while they think they took ole grandpa for a ride.

Hood and windshield gets a royal a** kicking tomorrow - I will try to get the hood done but the windshield is left for another project unseen by the pics. The only way you will know is by the done pics.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I'm pretty sure we are gonna see a running restored M43 before we see a running restored M38A1:roll::roll:

Just Sayin........:jumpin:
If that is true DEB may sugest someplace ealse to sleep at the rally and maybe other location as well

zout

I think Deb will have a piece of me if the engine is not back by the rally - but then there are many another parts to get - wire harness to at least fire er up to pretend it is operational.

I post good - bad - ugly and whatever else I may have screwed up when I work on stuff. I am too old to be bashfull or humiliated by something - but after jumping out of planes you go figure out if something makes me worry so trivial as making a mistake ! or even if I am politically correct (what a joke).

I was thinking tonight as I was blasting the tire carrier - I wonder of anyone who was in the ambulance or associated with it - somehow may be watching the work - so therefore I try to do my best as I go to do justice to the vehicle and the service it provided.

Somehow I think I fall short in honoring them.

If any more days go like today - I will be looking for a new line of work/position or just traveling to service. Even it if means moving to another state - Texas is more in line of my thinking and attitude.

zout

PB - as a thought - I bet we see a running M38A1 before we see a running Farm Jeep with a Monroe 3 point hitch on it (where was that jeep when I saw it last).

Just in case anyone is wondering why my post count is lower - I requested DH to remove my M109A3 build thread that had nearly 50,000 views and over 880 pics along with all the
posts during the build. Time for it to pass on into MV history. And no I do not care about such a thing as post counts. Thank you DH.

Last edited:

zout

Section of the hood repaired.
Hood straightened - blasted and sanded.
Windshields both cracked - left em in and blasted frameworks and lip of the top.
Sifted 160#'s of blasting material in my spare time.
Duct taped gauge panel gauges and data plates.
Cleaned up the garage and around the work area.

I have one small area of the hood to repair and I can get this into primer tomorrow.
Pulling both seats tomorrow.
Sand the pass front box area that had that rust area - repaired with metal and duraglass.

End of the day tomorrow - the entire cab should be sandblasted - found a lot of nuts and bolts in the box under the drivers seat I need to tuck away for the very near near future.

But of course its like that Doc Hollywood movie - when the guy walks up and hands him a box and says to him - There Are Always Parts Left Over After Working On the Engine - I really like that - but EH - I amuze easily.

I also plan on having both windshields pulled and take a pic of what you have not seen - this is actually the biggest work I will encounter - the rest has just been labor and misc supplies till now. To top it off - you will not see any more pics till it is done and leave it for you to figure out.

Then we come to the FUN part - the ambulance section. Go get your bucket of popcorn as it is a comin.

My 4 grandsons were over and I had some sand around so I grabbed the hose to Debs hands on the hips pissed off look and laid down with them for a while and played in the MUD. Life gets no better than that.

Will post pics tomorrw for any of ya that give a chit.

zout

between blasting material - paint sanded off - sweat from the sweltering heat and humidity and playing in the mud - I pretty much looked like normal.:cool:

zout

It was bumping 110 working around the truck today so I did not get done everthing I wanted to.

Hood repaired - straightened - primered.

I will show what I am doing to the rusted out cowl under the windshield frame as I had a couple folks request to see it (I take donations).

Cut away the lower section of the framework and bottom of the center support - The cowl is one entire piece and is also top of the dash that bends and gets spot welded to the front of the dash - with a non moveable framework it is one of the ways to do it.

Got 1/2 the interior done as well - wanted to be totally in primer at the end of the day but I needed to get out of the heat again for various reasons.

Anyhow - here are some pics

Attachments

zak

Z are you going to pull out the windshield frame? It will be pretty well rusted under the side mounting areas. No to create any more work for you, but a couple of bolts on each side and a few along the top and its out. It will make your cowl repair so much easier to get to.

zout

Zak - before getting just the frame blasted I saw somethign I did not want to see - blasting it revealed it - someone way back welded in the framework and both side gussets to the cowl that are the ones on the outside of the framework. The bolts you mention are still there - but everything else is welded.

I will have to access the cowl another way:-( on the ends where they roll.
Having my coffee - then headed down as it is my day off.

Status
Not open for further replies.