• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

como wire

Cav Trooper

Where can I find a spool of WD-1? My truck is about done and since I worked in Avionics and Commo, I wanted to add a DR-8A and an RL-39 with some WD-! wire. I was looking for the original WD-1, not 1A. I have a pair of TA-1's and would like to finish the display/setup. I've found reels and holders on ebay but all of the wire is later vintage than me.

Thanks,

CT

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please explain the difference between WD-1 and WD-1A. I see rolls of it in the scrap piles at Colemans all the time, just want to know what to look for when I head there next....

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WD-1 is two single wires used as a pair, WD-1A is more like lamp cord. I think I have a small amount of WD-1, probably on a DR-8 reel. But, as those who have been to the house can attest, it may take a major effort to locate. WD-1 was WWII up through at least part of Vietnam, -1A was easier to use because both wires were joined together and thus was stronger when being pulled. I think I have between 25 and 28 miles of -1A.

3dAngus

Well I bought a couple of those old crank up phones we used to hook up to our Microwave Line of Sight and Tropospheric Scatter communication systems. Don't remember the nomenclature. We just called them crank ups. I bought them for catfishing.

All I remember is the old black steel wire.

Do they still use those old crank up phones? Surely not, in the information age???

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
3d,
No, they got rid of them, first by going to a four wire (WD-16), and then via computer controlled phones. EE-8's, TA-43's and TA-312's are all obsolete, but still very useful! And, after surplusing them for nearly 30 years, someone at DLA decided they were 'mutilation required' items. I had bought seven of them from Hawaii (in a larger lot) and I was notified to return them to the closest GL/DRMO site. They balked when presented with the shipping bill ($382 shipping from there to SC) and allowed me to donate them to the SC Military Museum instead. I still have a couple of BD-71 (WWII) switchboards.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Do they still use those old crank up phones? Surely not, in the information age???
My unit at Fort Benning still had them in the late 80's.

The "wire dogs" would string wire and every CP and section had one of those phones....they did have an automated switch and it didn't require an operator to put the calls through.

Ironically if there were a major EMP event those old phones would still work when all the cells would be paperweights.

3dAngus

TA-312's are all obsolete, but still very useful! And, after surplusing them for nearly 30 years, someone at DLA decided they were 'mutilation required' items.
THAT's IT! TA-312. I haven't heard that term in almost 40 years now. That's cool, and I don't know how it could slip my mind as many times as we called out the ole TA-312.

Years ago, I saw boxes 4'X4'X4' full of those phones being sold, back in the day where you stood up at these auctions holding up a paddle, and prices were much higher on some, lower on others. How could they ever expect to recall millions of those old TA312s that were surplussed, and why would they?
What do they expect, that maybe someone would use it to hit someone over the head with? Ridiculous.

A recent check indicate the TA-312 asking price ranges from roughly $25 to $499 each where the $499 is mint, museum quality and new with the original box and bag.

A spool of WD-1 is $20, but shipping cost $25 on a national internet auction house.

Last edited:

Cav Trooper

I've been looking for WD-1 and haven't seen any, just WD-1A. When I was in Commo in the late 60's we used WD-1 and I have been trying to locate some to use with my TA-1 phones. I have had TA-312's and sold them, wish I had them back. I bought a pair of TA-1's at a show last month for $80 for the pair. I see TA-312's for $75 up per unit. We rarely used the TA-1's. We had an SB22 switchboard and TA-312's at Ft. Hood, Germany and Viet Nam, 66 thru 69. We used to use an M37 with the RL159 mounted in the back to string wire from the FDC to the OP's in the Arty Battery I was in. Lots of walking behind the truck to tie off the wire along the trails.

123mack

I was in the Army NG in the early 80's through the early 90's and the TA-312 was the most common phone I saw. Most of the wire used was WD-1 twisted wire.

salt6

Go to Austin Aviation/HMMWV Surplus and search for wire.

You could roll your own with some WD-36/T Military Telephone Wire.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TA-1's and TA 312's are still alive and well in the US Army's inventory, and used in static locations, like running from the front gate to a TOC or the like.

Cav Trooper

Thanks for the links guys. I'll track some down with the help. Darn, I just noticed, I posted como wire and I was in Commo!! Either I can't type or can't spell or both. LOL

Chief_919

I may still have one or two of the one mile rolls of WD-1 at the shop. When I get back from this show in PA I will look and see if any are left.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks