• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Compressor gasket replacement

SSG ALBANESE

Hi guys, Just pulled the compressor from my duece. The plan is to replace all of the gaskets on the compressor and while at it clean, fix and paint anything in the general area of the compressors location.

Steps so far.

1) Pull out the TM

2) Place pan, 5 gal bucket and absorbant under the truck.

3) Make a quick trip to home depot for some new lock washers ;)

4) Remove air line at the top of compressor.

5) Remove two bolts and lock washers from pully.

6) Using the Pully compressor wrench for the belt side and some big vice grips for the other turn the wrench left (had to use a small breaker bar). The front side of the pully will thread off. You will not be able to take it fully off in the radiator is installed.

7) Remove front oil filter and housing. (Put a rag on top of the fuel injection pump). This is when you need the stuff on step 2.

8) Remove the 4 base nuts.

9) lol fumble with breaking the old gasket and get the pump off of the studs just enough to pull the front pully off.

10) Time to break down the pump. More to follow.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnjpO5-bNNY&feature=youtu.be[/media]

eagle4g63

As a fellow doing the EXACT same thing....might I suggest to take off the air compressor bracket from the motor.....the reason behind my suggestion is simple, I did what you are doing right before the 4th of July, well to make it sweet and short.....HUGE leak developed behind that bracket....I am now RE doing the whole process.

Also make sure that you have everything clinically clean when putting the new gaskets back in and also use a thread sealer(I used TFE paste from the hardware store...it is impervious to all kinds of stuff including heat and oil and doesn't harden)

Lots of luck...hope it goes well for you.....I am just now finishing with mine!!!

SSG ALBANESE

As a fellow doing the EXACT same thing....might I suggest to take off the air compressor bracket from the motor.....the reason behind my suggestion is simple, I did what you are doing right before the 4th of July, well to make it sweet and short.....HUGE leak developed behind that bracket....I am now RE doing the whole process.

Also make sure that you have everything clinically clean when putting the new gaskets back in and also use a thread sealer(I used TFE paste from the hardware store...it is impervious to all kinds of stuff including heat and oil and doesn't harden)

Lots of luck...hope it goes well for you.....I am just now finishing with mine!!!

Thanks man. I did see that the bracket could use a gasket as well. I ordered some gaskets from Memphis but I am not exactly sure which gaskets they are lol I just took the two they had. I am waiting on those to arrive, hopefully today.

Would High temp locktite work? I have a lot I was going to use.

eagle4g63

Well locktite is just that "lock" tight....it is meant to just lock bolts in place....I think if you used enough to "seal" the bolts they would never come out(or at least be a bear to remove) The stuff I suggested is very cheap...in the plumbing isle buy a little tube, last you for years, it is thread paste for gas lines(I actually use it on all water and gas lines) and it says for use with water, steam, natural and lp gas, oils, fuels, and dilute acids......

The reason I suggest sealer on the bolts for the lower bracket is that the bolt holes are through the side of the block into the oil area and are potential leak spots(or in my case...most definite leak spots)

I just made my own gasket's....that way I know they are the right ones...lol

SSG ALBANESE

Well locktite is just that "lock" tight....it is meant to just lock bolts in place....I think if you used enough to "seal" the bolts they would never come out(or at least be a bear to remove) The stuff I suggested is very cheap...in the plumbing isle buy a little tube, last you for years, it is thread paste for gas lines(I actually use it on all water and gas lines) and it says for use with water, steam, natural and lp gas, oils, fuels, and dilute acids......

The reason I suggest sealer on the bolts for the lower bracket is that the bolt holes are through the side of the block into the oil area and are potential leak spots(or in my case...most definite leak spots)

I just made my own gasket's....that way I know they are the right ones...lol

Ok, good advice. After running around I am back to the compressor again. Did you take yours apart or just replace the two gaskets? I want to take mine apart to replace all the gaskets and realize that it would be nice to have a gasket set. I have been google"ing" midland for something.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The single piston is the updated one. Be glad you have it, you will notice the air builds a tad bit faster with the single over the double.

SSG ALBANESE

What is supposed to go in this area I am pointing at. Nothing on the double piston compressor I pulled has this hole on it.

Also something weird, then I peeked into the hole I saw what looked like bubble gum. I poked my flat head driver in and it feels like grease. Does not smell petroleum based.

Attachments

Last edited:

SSG ALBANESE

The single piston is the updated one. Be glad you have it, you will notice the air builds a tad bit faster with the single over the double.
Thanks for the info on that. I figured it would push more air faster it just looked old. Then I thought to myself if I have a "never used" part and I am going through all this work I may as well use it.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is supposed to go in this area I am pointing at.........
What about the fitting the air line coming from the governor connects to?

Possibly your new compressor came without it; only intended to replace another, already existing 1-cylinder compressor?

G.

eagle4g63

I was lucky and my compressor was rebuilt......however it wasn't put back in good(correct) and started to leak oil at the base and a few other covers. So I just took them apart and made new gaskets and put back together the right way......Of course being in a little hurry(needed the truck back together for the parade)...I left the lower bracket on, as I didn't see any leak from it.......needless to say latter started to leak and on my Ohio trip let loose and started almost gushing out....now the re-due....and of course I had to remake the lower gasketaua

Also I have the 2 piston compressor.......soooo if I am understanding this the one you have now(the single piston) is the NEW one and it replaced the 2 piston not the other way around?!?!?

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just ordered a NOS air compressor from HDEXPERT from the SS classifieds. I guess this will be a learning experience for the both of us. From reading this thread, am I to assume the bottom gasket when reinstalled, I should use TFE paste from the hardware store as a sealer on the gasket surface both sides, and keep the oil drain port/hole free from anything.........?

SSG ALBANESE

What about the fitting the air line coming from the governor connects to?

Possibly your new compressor came without it; only intended to replace another, already existing 1-cylinder compressor?

G.

I am not sure. This is why I didnt want to go with the single haha ;) I am in the garage looking at my TMs and nothing. Been at it for an hour already.

Should it be some sort of governer I wonder if I can cap this with a piece of metal and a gasket???

Hopefully someone with this single pump and this mistry hole finds my post :(

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also I have the 2 piston compressor.......soooo if I am understanding this the one you have now(the single piston) is the NEW one and it replaced the 2 piston not the other way around?!?!?
Correct, The single piston was the upgrade design. If you take it apart the design is 1/2 the moving parts so there is less to malfunction. Also the single crank is 3 times thicker than the double. Much better design. I had both apart last week side by side. Good luck.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not sure. This is why I didn't want to go with the single haha ;) I am in the garage looking at my TMs and nothing. Been at it for an hour already.

Should it be some sort of Governor I wonder if I can cap this with a piece of metal and a gasket???

Hopefully someone with this single pump and this mistry hole finds my post :(
Its pouring outside and I would have to take a boat ride to shore to take a picture of the single piston design. I will post it tomorrow.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A Gama Goat is just more tires on the ground. This is my daily driver, I built it 10 years ago. I call it a quatoon. The rain is no big deal with the top always up. Its late and dark out.

Daylight makes for a better picture of what your looking for.

Attachments

Last edited:

SSG ALBANESE

Lol... well, I am sure!:)
Without the governor it would never "unload" (= never stop pumping) and you had the relief valve opening every few seconds, once it reached around 135psi.

G.
Interesting. For two years everything was ok with the double piston pump lol BUT a few months ago the relief valve started blowing at 60 PSI, breaks still felt strong but I had half the air. I ordered a new relief valve from boyce and am waiting on it.

I will need someone to show me a vid or pictures of their setup so I can mimic