• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Compressor gasket replacement

eagle4g63

I just ordered a NOS air compressor from HDEXPERT from the SS classifieds. I guess this will be a learning experience for the both of us. From reading this thread, am I to assume the bottom gasket when reinstalled, I should use TFE paste from the hardware store as a sealer on the gasket surface both sides, and keep the oil drain port/hole free from anything.........?
NOT ON THE GASKET!!! Use the TFE paste on the seven bolts(on the threads) that hold the compressor bracket to the block. The TFE paste is a thread seal paste....used on gas lines in your house, I use the stuff on anything that I don't want to leak, air fittings, water pipes or fittings (like the heater hose fittings on the manifold) and in this case the bolts that stick into the oil galley on the side of the block.....it is just to seal the bolt threads so the oil doesn't leak past them.....the gaskets only seal between the flat metal, not the bolt threads.

For the gaskets them selves I use either one of 2 products, depending on heat and ease of ever removing......first is permatex high tack sealant....spray on the gasket and let get tacky, stick to part and install.....or 2 permatex Indian head gasket shellac compound......comes with it's own brush type cap it holds a little harder in my opinion(of course I also don't let it dry like the bottle said I put in together while still tacky)

Both of those product do wonders at keeping the gasket "glued" in place and helping to not leak.....I never use any of the silicon type "RTV" sealants...they cause more trouble than anything.

eagle4g63

What is the best way to take off the pulley from the old pump?

I already have the nut removed, I tried heat and PB, and aviation grade equivalent.

The BEST way???? Why with a puller of course......but I think you are asking for the next best way....lol

I guess like you are going at it....and with a lot of patience and tapping to get it loose.

SSG ALBANESE

The BEST way???? Why with a puller of course......but I think you are asking for the next best way....lol

I guess like you are going at it....and with a lot of patience and tapping to get it loose.

Yea lol I have two different pullers but they dont set up to this pulley.

Tap tap tap

I still need pictures from people on their one piston set up.

SSG ALBANESE

Scratch that... Took a large wrench and hammered it in between the rear of the pulley, then tapped the inner shaft, heated it, some aviation lube and a little sledge hammer : ) double tap and its now soaking in jasco.

eagle4g63

Ok so I looked at your pics again......with the compressor sitting in the truck, on the Drivers side of the pump head you have the large threaded hole....that is where you install the fitting for the MAIN line that came off the same side as the old compressor...you might have to get a fitting to fit the hole and also be a compression on the copper line side.

Now on the passenger side of the pump head(the three holes you are pointing at) is where the 90 degree elbow goes into, it looked like the middle hole on the one I was looking at was threaded(maybe done by whom ever put the pump in) and that would be where you install the small 1/4" line to that ran off the top of your old compressor.

All make sense? You can find some pics of these on ebay......look for c&c equipment, he has a pic of one.

SSG ALBANESE

Ok so I looked at your pics again......with the compressor sitting in the truck, on the Drivers side of the pump head you have the large threaded hole....that is where you install the fitting for the MAIN line that came off the same side as the old compressor...you might have to get a fitting to fit the hole and also be a compression on the copper line side.

Now on the passenger side of the pump head(the three holes you are pointing at) is where the 90 degree elbow goes into, it looked like the middle hole on the one I was looking at was threaded(maybe done by whom ever put the pump in) and that would be where you install the small 1/4" line to that ran off the top of your old compressor.

All make sense? You can find some pics of these on ebay......look for c&c equipment, he has a pic of one.
Ok I am now to the point where all I have left is receive gaskets, install pulley, and find out what the side area is.

On my old pump (double piston) I only had 1 copper line which is the "Air out", on the top of the pump their is something that looks like valves, "spring and rod" but nothing has every been connected their as long as I have owned the truck.

Does anyone have pictures of what goes in the hole and were it goes after that? Also on the pump in this hole was a gasket and push in plastic piece.

Last edited:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats the air intake, you can run a line over to the air cleaner/fording nipple. Copper or a stiff rubber line is what I used. It keeps the water out of the compressor if you fnd yourself in some water. I just got back are you still in need of a picture..?

SSG ALBANESE

Thats the air intake, you can run a line over to the air cleaner/fording nipple. Copper or a stiff rubber line is what I used. It keeps the water out of the compressor if you fnd yourself in some water. I just got back are you still in need of a picture..?

Hey don, thank you for getting back to me on this. That makes sense. I do not want to ever go through water that deep unless I have another Deuce or bigger with me, so lets just say around these parts I am the only one with a deuce.

So based on this I wander if I can just cap it off for now with the gasket and plastic push in piece it came with?

***** lol my girlfriend just caught me using Paint to write on my picture... priceless*****

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... air to filter - NO!
I say it once again: that orifice (in the center of the blue area) goes connected to the air governor, via a 1/4" copper tube.
You can try running it without it but then the compressor will not stop pumping air, until the relief valve blows open!

G.

SSG ALBANESE

... air to filter - NO!
I say it once again: that orifice (in the center of the blue area) goes connected to the air governor, via a 1/4" copper tube.
You can try running it without it but then the compressor will not stop pumping air, until the relief valve blows open!

G.

Gman, thank you. Makes sense now. Now I know what the fitting on top of the double piston was haha. I will get this working : ) Thank you for your help, I appreciate it. I am surprised that the old compressor lasted this long pumping all the time.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
............................. I am surprised that the old compressor lasted this long pumping all the time.
LOL.... that's what I thought when you said all this time you had it running with nothing else connected to it, just the main output...!

If you don't have that thin copper line, you should at least be able to locate the unloader port on your governor; probably plugged somehow?

G.

eagle4g63

Ok so here is the pics from my truck, the line runs to the firewall to the silver canister(not technical name but so you can tell what I am aiming you to) in the 3rd pic you can see a closer image.....the line you need is the one on the bottom of it.

The last 2 pics are from C&C Equipment....you can see the fittings in the one like you have on both sides.....like I said the side you are asking about is in the last one and he has a 1/4" fitting in the center hole.

I hope these help you out.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks