• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Computer GPS in vehicle question

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Or get a GPS like my wife got me, shown below

Attachments

Last edited:

Tlauden

Agreed, by the time you take to locate the proper gps antenna hardware for your computer, then you factor in the cost of your software it is probably easier to get a delegate GPS. Money wise to outfit the computer your probably looking at at least $150-200. For $200 you can buy a very nice Garmin gps (or the brand of your choice)

TacticalDoc

check out The GPS Store, Inc. GPS Systems, Marine Electronics. will the laptop stay in the truck? Of course the antenna will have to be positioned to see at least 3 sats. I would either do a GPS in the radio or use your iphone. Looking at the pics of the inside of your truck, you have enough going on in there as is

that computer stays in my truck

I was thinking of putting a gps antenna on top of my roof and using my computer. I didnt want another radio on my dash since I have a computer in my car. However it might be easier if I have to add hardware to the laptop

and its going to have more going on when I put my light bar on top with IR lights off an H1

TacticalDoc

Agreed, by the time you take to locate the proper gps antenna hardware for your computer, then you factor in the cost of your software it is probably easier to get a delegate GPS. Money wise to outfit the computer your probably looking at at least $150-200. For $200 you can buy a very nice Garmin gps (or the brand of your choice)

the programs are 50 bucks and the antenna are about 30...where does 150 to 200 bucks come from? ....is there aditional hardware to install that I'm not accounting for?

richingalveston

computer gps

I had a computer gps, it was the delorme model. it was a small round puck like antenna that opperated via a USB cable. it worked fine exept that you would have to buy updates. However it also allows you to do video capture,print map sections. you can save trips easier and do a lot of other things a hand held cannot do.

If the computer will always be in the truck, I would consider the computer version over a handheld due to the additional functionality if you were going to use it. The computer version will work when not in cell tower range thus its better than your phone. A hand held, may have to be held out the window at times also.

consider what you are using the computer for also. you may can update to a tablet that will give you the a full screen version of your phone but still will only work from cell towers not sat. if you have wifi hotspot on your phone and the tablet can perform the functions you need then dump the lap top and invest in a good tablet

I had my unit quite a few years ago so i would shop them for functionallity not price. if you base it on price, get the handheld.

richingalveston

as for myself

I will probably be buying a new pc version when i eventually install my laptop in my 1009.
so do some shopping for me and let me know how yours turns out. i still have some time before am at that stage of my build

quickfarms

I used pharos software and there bluetooth gps reciever before I got my iphone.

I use the garmin app for the iphone and it is the same as my wifes garmin unit. The free or cheap gps apps are very poor.

I have a spare bluetooth reciever and copy of the software, make me an offer.

TacticalDoc

I had a computer gps, it was the delorme model. it was a small round puck like antenna that opperated via a USB cable. it worked fine exept that you would have to buy updates. However it also allows you to do video capture,print map sections. you can save trips easier and do a lot of other things a hand held cannot do.

If the computer will always be in the truck, I would consider the computer version over a handheld due to the additional functionality if you were going to use it. The computer version will work when not in cell tower range thus its better than your phone. A hand held, may have to be held out the window at times also.

consider what you are using the computer for also. you may can update to a tablet that will give you the a full screen version of your phone but still will only work from cell towers not sat. if you have wifi hotspot on your phone and the tablet can perform the functions you need then dump the lap top and invest in a good tablet

I had my unit quite a few years ago so i would shop them for functionallity not price. if you base it on price, get the handheld.

Good points. This is my spare computer so I can leave it in my vehicle. My questions regarding a computer gps are:

All I need is a program and USB antenna - correct? Or do I need hardware etc...?
If I dont get or buy updates can I still use the program? Or does it not work?
What do the upgrades do?
Is there a fee for the upgrades?
Do I have to pay a monthly fee to use the program?
if the computer gps is cheaper and can do more and get better reception wouldnt that be better?

TacticalDoc

I used pharos software and there bluetooth gps reciever before I got my iphone.

I use the garmin app for the iphone and it is the same as my wifes garmin unit. The free or cheap gps apps are very poor.

I have a spare bluetooth reciever and copy of the software, make me an offer.

I'll let you be my friend.... hehehe

richingalveston

usb and software

the one i had and most for what i know it is only an antenna and software. the antenna is usually USB input to the laptop. for the blue tooth to work you have to have it built into your laptop or a antenna dongle that plugs into your usb and makes the antenna on the roof wireless. blue tooth not really necessary if you hard mount the computer and thus running a wire i believe is better because the blue tooth roof antenna requires batteries.

the map is stored on your computer thus and to get the software updated you have to buy the new map version. you also have to buy a map for each country you plan to take your truck go to mexico or canada and you wont be on the map anymore. Updates only add all the new roads and such that were built since the last update. so it can be another $50 bucks a year or more if you want to stay current. otherwise you can use the map you have forever because it resides in your comuter not on a server that your phone is accessing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks