• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Concealed weapons permit in SC

m.walker

I got a Mo. ccw because Kansas doesn't accept a permit from anyone except the state you live in . Check the laws on where you go before getting a permit . A guy in my class had a Florida permit but Kansas changed it's law so he had to get a Mo. permit .

littlebob

Thanks for reminding me. I know a few Louisiana people that have the Florida permit because they reciprocate with LA and alot of other states and have a four year renewal that LA did not have at one time, it used to be two. When I checked on it a few months ago the LA permit is good in almost as many states and all of the same ones in the south and you can now pay a few more dollars and get it for four years also. I plan on getting mine in a month or two.

littlebob

going between Colorado and New Mexico . Colorado I untuck my shirt and NM I tuck it in till I go in to a store then I tuck it in not hard to remmber . before you could not carry concealed in a place that sales liquor now you can . you can't carry any place that serves liquor . thats in New Mexico . kenny

J2H

If you are LE, HR218 should cover you for a CCW... otherwise, you need permission from a Police Chief, plus an application etc etc

Michael

I have heard that if you get stopped for anything, when they run your drivers license number, that part of the report they get back is that you are a permit holder. Not a problem when you aren't too far from home, but it might be if you are up north somewhere. Mississippi permits are issued through the MS Highway patrol just like the drivers license and looks just like one except for a different background color.

A friend of mine got stopped and when the LEO came back from his car, he asked if he had a weapon. My friend said no why do you ask and the response was because he had a concealed carry permit.

FrankUSMC

Good point Michael, in the CCW class here, the instructor makes that issue a point during the class. He says that if you get pulled over, tell the police officer that you have a CCW permit when you hand him your drivers license. ALSO tell him if you are carrieing a weapon or not. Because once he runs your drivers licence he is going to know, and you just ruined your chances of talking him out of the ticket by not being up front with him.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

kc8sfq

>Encourage females you know to get theirs. (I know, I know. It's dangerous giving our wives the skills.<

The proprietor of my local range assures me that women routinely out shoot the men who brought them. He tells me that it's because they (women) don't have all our bad habits. My wife almost always out shoots me, and she's not really a dedicated shooter. We've spent enough range time that she can employ any gun in the house, if need be, in the dark, by touch only. Our range has a ladies night on Fri evening. On that evening, the range belongs to the ladies, female NRA instructors and all. It almost always costs me several dozen rounds in various sizes and dinner later. Even after I spend an afternoon cleaning the guns, I consider it a bargain every time. I almost always carry, and ,yes, I even carry when I mow the lawn. I even have scored a couple of woodchucks with the 1911 from the tractor. You've really got to pay attention to fields of fire and down range safety fans when you're moving on a vehicle.

kc8sfq

>He says that if you get pulled over, tell the police officer that you have a CCW permit when you hand him your drivers license. ALSO tell him if you are carrieing a weapon or not. Because once he runs your drivers licence he is going to know<

A later note: Here in Mich. it's a felony to not "immediately identify" yourself as a CCW holder, and of course, a felony takes away your Second Amendment right.

steelandcanvas

I had a carry permit in Idaho. I got pulled over one night for a few miles over the limit. Gave the Lady my D/L, Registration, Proof of Insurance, didn't even think about the CCW permit. When she came back to the car, she asked if I had a weapon. I said no, as I was not packing at the time. But she knew I had a CCW, in Idaho it's linked to your D/L. BTW, she said slow down through her town, and have a good night.

Michael

A later note: Here in Mich. it's a felony to not "immediately identify" yourself as a CCW holder, and of course, a felony takes away your Second Amendment right.
You have got to be kidding? What if you don't have a gun with you. That can't possibly be the first thing on anybody's mind when they are getting pulled over.

And with the recent ruling on the 2nd amendment, how can you possibly become a felon if you forget to mention you are exercising you constitutional right to bear arms. It makes me wonder if you aren't better off not having a permit.

Swede

I have My permit here in PA, what make PA alittle better then most states, is that it is an open carry state.. HOOAH

Michael

He says that if you get pulled over, tell the police officer that you have a CCW permit when you hand him your drivers license. ALSO tell him if you are carrieing a weapon or not.
MS doesn't have any classes, just a full background check including sending your fingerprints off to the FBI, a high fee, and a long wait. This got me to thinking, what do you do if you get stopped in a state were your permit isn't recognized? You would basically be confessing to a crime wouldn't you? Was that covered in any of the classes?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
kc8sfq said:
I almost always carry, and ,yes, I even carry when I mow the lawn. I even have scored a couple of woodchucks with the 1911 from the tractor. You've really got to pay attention to fields of fire and down range safety fans when you're moving on a vehicle.
Hah! People think I'm crazy for carrying when I mow. I worry about the coyotes that the State of Ohio decided would be a good idea to reintroduce to control the deer. Good thinking except this was about 200 feet from the house one Sunday morning.

I also carry because of the two-legged coyotes in the 'hood even though we live in the country.

Attachments

bonshawman

Florida also has some interesting laws when it comes to the castle doctrine - it has been extended to anywhere one feels threatened.

It used to be that one had a duty to retreat from an encounter (unless a sworn officer), that did not occur at one's domicile (castle doctrine- defense of home).

Now, (and of course, it goes without saying that one better use due restraint and be prepared to defend (or have an attorney defend) the use) if one is approached on a public way or outside of the home, one can use deadly force within the same parameters as if in the home.

I carry on most road trips, or even when running out to the store (I live in Miami....). It is unfortunate that SC does not honor FLA permits (all other Southern states do). I have relatives I visit often in southern SC, and I just bring it along anyway. But as a former LEO, I am also very discreet - you would never know that I have one with me unless I wanted (needed) you to.

sailor2000

HeadWizard said:
I was driving home from the sporting clays range and got stopped in a routine roadblock license and registration check.
You have "routine" roadblocks where you live? "Let me see your papers...(insert german accent)"... (the classic 'you have no rights and you are always a suspect line) ... good heavens.

Here in Texas the CHL comes up when they run your license as well and you are required, anytime a LEO asks for your ID to also provide your CHL (don't leave home without it) and it is highly recommended that you tell them if you are armed or not.

MOST Texas LEOs have a positive attitude about CHL holders and many feel that since you have gone through a more extensive background check than they had to in order to get their job that you are a Certified Good Guy when you have one.

On a side note, thank heavens that Joe Horn was no billed. Our new Texas Castle Doctrine law saved his neck. Way to go Joe!

tmbrwolf

Michael, if you were to get stopped in a state that didn't recognize your permit and were carrying.... Go to jail, do not pass go, go directly to jail! It's a felony in most states to carry concealed without a valid permit.

Here you only have to identify if a LEO asks if you have a permit and are carrying, although it was stressed in my class it's better to let them know upfront, when they do a DL check they will know you are a permit holder. They also changed the law here so that you no longer have a "duty to retreat" .

Michael

That was my point. If you produce your permit and your DL like the instructor suggests, in a state that doesn't recognize it, you are confessing to a crime. I am also not convinced the young LEOs I am hearing more and more about would cut you any more slack if you told it up front vs he finds it himself. I have heard way to many stories of people being asked if they have this or that and when they say yes they are promptly charged with the crime.

I have always had a hand gun in the car with me when I travel with my family. I rarely actually carry it on my person. In the recent past I had always planned to just say no I don't have one, but then, I am a very poor liar. I don't get much practice at it. :) I don't think a simple traffic stop would give them probable cause to search your car. I guess I need to research my travel plans more in the future. It is something to think about though since it seems it is universal that it will come back when they run the DL.

What is the advantage to having an out of state FL CCW? My MS license is honored in 24 states including FL.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks