• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Confirmed- Tuff Stuff D-Ring Fits

rodent

Which D-ring is correct?

I needed a new D-ring since I had one that didn't match. 3 of mine look like this:

Tuff Stuff 6.5 Ton Black D Ring Bow Shackle 7/8" W/ 1" Pin 14,500lb Capacity
TS-BS65B-BK

Cost - $16 plus shipping

dring.jpg

BUT now when I look at other pictures, I see other CUCV's with different D-rings with the cotter pin. Which one is original? Left has cotter pin, Right looks like the one above.

20180131_165601.jpg

Last edited:

rodent

Thanks! One of the previous owners must have installed 3 aftermarket D-rings. I was thinking they were original but its the one cotter pin version that must be original which I'll probably sell.

rodent

One thing I like about the screw in D-ring is they fit snug on the mounts and don't make any noise and little more difficult to steal if you make it tight enough with a wrench.

My original military D-ring had a thick cotter pin through it and it was a bitch to remove with needle nose pliers. It was like a standard cotter pin you would use on a wheel bearing or tie rod. I don't believe it was the original pin. I think a pin like this would be easier.
https://cloudfront.zoro.com/product/full/Z2HJuufo5oy.JPG

I think this is what it should have from the military. Correct me if I'm wrong.
https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/...-m1008_1_445a27df73276a0b34408287e54f89f6.jpg

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cotter pin type make it much more difficult to steal the D-rings. I've had to give up on every one I tried to take home with me.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deuce and 5 tons use the diaper pin design. Shackles off the back of a 5 ton will fit a CUCV.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bought four from Tractor Supply made sure one would fit before bought them !!!View attachment 723695
Pictures very blurry, but if that’s what I think it is, someone can steal that in about 2 seconds.
The original shackle pins with cotter keys, while not immune to theft, take some time and effort to remove.

If that’s just a regular pin in yours, someone can have all four of them off and be gone in less than 30 seconds.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I needed a new D-ring since I had one that didn't match. 3 of mine look like this:

Tuff Stuff 6.5 Ton Black D Ring Bow Shackle 7/8" W/ 1" Pin 14,500lb Capacity
TS-BS65B-BK

Cost - $16 plus shipping

View attachment 723588

BUT now when I look at other pictures, I see other CUCV's with different D-rings with the cotter pin. Which one is original? Left has cotter pin, Right looks like the one above.

View attachment 723599
Just so you KNOW, the top picture IS a THREADED PIN SHACKLE, NOT a D-ring, as used on military vehicles, it is called a front or rear LIFT SHACKLE, the reason for calling it a front or rear lift shackle is because some fronts and rears are different. It helps to call a part by the right name.

rsh4364

On my older 1009 I bought original lift shackles. They clunked around a bit, so I put these on front and rear. 20160228_095558_001.jpg 10 ton tow strap, 3 ' cucv. Bought from gemco57 on ebay years ago.

Last edited:

Ilikemtb999

I think the cotter pins are harder to remove than those locks off the lime green ones. Small locks can be busted off with a pry bar and cut like butter with bolt cutters. Meanwhile those darn cotter pins take forever to get out of the hole.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks