• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Connected my MEP-803A the proper way as my home standby generator... Install pics...

tim292stro

Brief question, are there any fire codes in your area preventing you from putting a fuel storage unit under your eaves? I like where this is going, but I'd advise a fair measure of caution about putting a stationary fuel system right up against the house. Either way, its a good thing that plant is gone, it looked too close to your foundation :)

Ever thought of painting your MEP "fence camouflage"?

Glockfan

Does anyone know how well the diesel will fare in long term storage in this aluminum tank? I know that once I get 90 gallons in there, I need to add Pri-D. I'm wondering if I need to have any elaborate filtration or fuel water separator setup between the aux tank and the generator. From what I understand, if I keep it clean and keep water out of it, it will last a long time. I have used 20-year old diesel recently in an 802 and it chugged along without a problem.

I know installing yet another fuel water separator could be overkill but I'd rather be safe than sorry and have went this far to do everything right... Also, I'm looking for fuel line suggestions for plumbing in the tank. Some folks have said use the aux fuel hose that came with the generator. I don't think I need a 20' hose but will use it if it is the best one for the job. I'm looking for something that won't rot and degrade over time.

Glockfan

Brief question, are there any fire codes in your area preventing you from putting a fuel storage unit under your eaves? I like where this is going, but I'd advise a fair measure of caution about putting a stationary fuel system right up against the house. Either way, its a good thing that plant is gone, it looked too close to your foundation :)

Ever thought of painting your MEP "fence camouflage"?
Great point and a question I can't answer. I guess I will wait before digging the holes. "Fence camouflage" would be cool but I'm just going to build another fence to keep the dogs and kids out of that area when the project is done. I figure the fence will add another level of sound attenuation as well as contributing to the aesthetics of the yard. I envision spreading gravel and just treating the area like a utility/mechanical area when it's all said and done.

tim292stro

Does anyone know how well the diesel will fare in long term storage in this aluminum tank? I know that once I get 90 gallons in there, I need to add Pri-D. I'm wondering if I need to have any elaborate filtration or fuel water separator setup between the aux tank and the generator. From what I understand, if I keep it clean and keep water out of it, it will last a long time. I have used 20-year old diesel recently in an 802 and it chugged along without a problem...
It's not so much keeping water out (which, yes, you will need to do but...), diesel is hygroscopic (absorbs water from air), and will release water when the conditions are right. This happens when there is enough space in your tank for cold surfaces inside the top of your tank meeting ambient air (since you need a vent in the tank to allow air to flow in once fuel flows out) - this air+cold surface results in condensation forming on the walls of the tank and then water will enter the fuel. This mixture really supports algae, and the water and dying algae will settle in the bottom of your tank as a sludge. Since your pickup is low in the tank, this sludge will get sucked out first, and fill up your fuel filter membrane. This is why I advocated for a fuel polishing system.

...I know installing yet another fuel water separator could be overkill but I'd rather be safe than sorry and have went this far to do everything right...
The above is why I suggested a fuel polishing system - a water separating fuel filter with a very large filter (think highway truck, Quarry truck, or large marine filter). The larger the filter the more algae the polisher can take out of the fuel tank, and if this is run before the generator during weekly exercise, you can spare your generator's filter from the harder work :). You can use a cheap hand pump if you don't want to buy an expensive electric pump (and less to break when it's critical).

...Also, I'm looking for fuel line suggestions for plumbing in the tank. Some folks have said use the aux fuel hose that came with the generator. I don't think I need a 20' hose but will use it if it is the best one for the job. I'm looking for something that won't rot and degrade over time.
Any highway truck fuel line should work since they are usually UV stable and resistant to road chemicals and abuse, it would be great if you could use the fitting from the aux input - you might look at at a local hydraulic hose shop and ask what they'd recommend - they should be able to build you a custom hose set relatively cheap.

Last edited:

TURKEY131

Glockfan do you where did you purchase your transfer switch? And I like the idea of the light indicating when the power is restored as well. Where I am at I would have know way of knowing without driving a 1/2 mile down the roadway. Where would get that as well.

Glockfan

My switch was ordered from the local electrical supply warehouse. It was about $680 but used ones can be had on eBay for less. I just didn't want to monkey with something that was all butchered up. I've seen them for as cheap as $250 used.

lxawolf

I'd recommend a visit to your local Fire Marshal, I think over 60Gallons they consider it a "fuel storage container" and you may have legal obligations for signage, maintenance, and inspections on the tank too.
I know codes very from location to location. However here in the North East and the prevalence of heating oil there are not issues of having a fuel tank outdoors or on the property. Only exception is the underground tank. Most places do not let you install underground tanks. But like others have said a quick internet search will tell you what your local or state regulations will allow.

Glockfan

I've exhausted my resources and I can't find anything saying that I'm not allowed to put a diesel tank outside my home. So I guess I'm just going to proceed with it. There are plenty of regulations for commercial entities storing mass quantities of fuel, but none that I found readily available regulating residential storage of diesel fuel in Georgia.

If I had intended on burying the tank then there are regulations stating that the tank cannot be less than 110 gallons and it needs to be made out of fiberglass reinforced plastic and so forth but nothing governing above ground storage tanks for noncommercial use.

tim292stro

I think NFPA 30 applies no matter the jurisdiction (I'm probably wrong, but better safe than sued :) ) - thus the trip to the Fire Marshal. These are the guys who are going to be putting out your house or protecting it from your neighbor's property if that burns, just give them a chance to comment on it if you haven't already - this is for their safety as much as yours.

Glockfan

Finished!

Well, this morning I finished plumbing it. I used the military aux fuel line shortened to the length that I needed and installed a large fuel/water seperator in between the aux tank and the generator for added protection.

To finish the job, all I need to do now is spread a yard of gravel underneath the tank and generator and build the privacy fence. In hindsight, I may have overdone the entire job but I have always wanted a bulletproof backup power generation system for my home and I think I have acheived it. The MEP-803A will run my entire house. 100 gallons of diesel will keep my home powered for at least ten days. I am happy with my choice and my work and appreciate the advice along the way...

I would highly recommend that anyone go the legal route when connecting up one of these generators to your home and pull a permit and install a legit transfer switch. The whole process was painless.

I will post a few final pics once I get the fence up and the gravel down. I'm done with it otherwise...

IMG_1642.jpgIMG_1643.jpgIMG_1644.jpgIMG_1645.jpgIMG_1646.jpgIMG_1647.jpgIMG_1648.jpgIMG_1649.jpg

tim292stro

Quick suggestion before you put the gravel in - drop in a section of drain channel above grade (but embedded in the gravel) to use as a tray for the fuel line - this should remove that as a tripping hazard and protect the hose from being stepped on. Fill in around the drain channel with the gravel to the top - make sure water has a way out of the channel too...

Last edited:

Glockfan

Quick suggestion before you put the gravel in - drop in a section of drain channel above grade (but embedded in the gravel) to use as a tray for the fuel line - this should remove that as a tripping hazard and protect the hose from being stepped on. Fill in around the drain channel with the gravel to the top - make sure water has a way out of the channel too...
Real good suggestion... I'll do that!

tim292stro

If you get one of the bigger drain channel sizes like the part# I linked, a low layer of round pea-gravel in the bottom before laying in the hose will keep the hose out of any standing water which should help it last longer. Gravel instead of sand or dirt will break any surface tension and help the hose dry off on all sides after a good rain. I don't know if you want to go crazy, but a layer of geotextile over your grade before putting in the gravel, will keep the dirt/mud separated form the gravel, and will keep your gravel from getting mashed into the dirt (requiring a re-application in later years).

I've said it before, but I'll say it again, your setup looks great!!

Glockfan

image.jpg

Just a progress update... I laid down some geo cloth this evening and pinned it down to the ground. Gravel will follow soon. Then the fence.

Last edited:

Glockfan

Thanks for the encouragement! I will of course be glad to answer questions and furnish additional pictures to anyone who wants to set their MEP up in a similar fashion...

Glockfan

Just another progress update... About two tons of crush and run is now down over the geo mat. Next comes the privacy fence on the open side and I'm done...

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks