• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Connected my MEP-803A the proper way as my home standby generator... Install pics...

liebsce

Yeah. I was trying to keep the old school military look with the round lights. I did put in LED bulbs. Since that pic I have also added some small fenders.

liebsce

Man, that is a real slick transfer switch. In all honesty, my 200A manual switch is very much overkill. I would highly recommend your exact setup and may even go with the same at our cabin. If you don't mind, could you tell me where you purchased the meter base interface?

Your setup looks very neat and simple and would be perfect for someone wanting to keep their genset install portable versus static.
I purchased the transfer switch at PSP products. It can be self installed. I would highly recommend you be qualified in electrical work as you will be making a couple of connections inside the meter base while it is still energized. After that it is simply reinstall your meter, mount the new transfer box, and connect the interconnect cable with a quick disconnect.
Install information and product guides are available on the PSP website. Also, I did notify my utility ahead of time I would be removing the seal.

PSP Products, Inc.
P.O. Box 4108 Manassas, Va 20108
T e l 800.648.6802 fax 800.767.6645
www.pspproducts.com sales@pspproducts.com

liebsce

Fenders.jpg20160719_195101.jpg20160719_195209.jpg
Here is a pic after the fenders were added. Also where I added a 50A power outlet. Makes it very easy to connect it to the house.
Thanks for all the great comments and information shared on this site.

JRM

I just purchased a tripp lite conditioner from amazon, had to return it as the first thing you see when you unpack it is a huge warning that it cannot be used on any generators not producing perfect computer grade power. Back it went, everything I own runs perfect on the 803a but my father has burned up 2 power switches in his sony plasma tv running a generac contractors generator.

zanther

Im no rocket surgeon but my LED can lights like my 803 much more than my 10k Northern Energy civilian generator. No flickering or brownouts with new loads being introduced

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quick question is it safe to run electronics such as my LED TV on the 803?
Absolutely. The power from a MEP is high quality. If you see it on a scope you will see it is VERY clean. My UPS may click online for a second when the heatpump kicks on but that is from a short dip in voltage from the high current surge of the compressor.

Ruben

Seems im going to have to wire my 803 via a Reliance TRC 0606 CP1. Going this route to save on $$. I do however have a question reguarding amps. This Reliance unit is rated up to 60 amps. The 803 is rated at 52 amps, I see that many have used 50 amp plugs and extension cords. Why 50 and not 60? What am I missing?

Haoleb

Seems im going to have to wire my 803 via a Reliance TRC 0606 CP1. Going this route to save on $$. I do however have a question reguarding amps. This Reliance unit is rated up to 60 amps. The 803 is rated at 52 amps, I see that many have used 50 amp plugs and extension cords. Why 50 and not 60? What am I missing?
Probably because what I found in my own hookup endeavor is that 50A plugs are the biggest you can get commonly available. 52A output is 100%, as we know these units will do more than that. Since the generator will put out as much current as possible until it trips overload or worse it is a good idea to size your hookup accordingly.

Personally I went with a 60A capacity hookup but even then it has some margin there for even more current capacity.

liebsce

Man, that is a real slick transfer switch. In all honesty, my 200A manual switch is very much overkill. I would highly recommend your exact setup and may even go with the same at our cabin. If you don't mind, could you tell me where you purchased the meter base interface?

Your setup looks very neat and simple and would be perfect for someone wanting to keep their genset install portable versus static.
PSP Products
8335 Phoenix Drive
Manassas, VA 20110
1-800-648-6802

4Rider

Nice installation Glockfan! Thank you for documenting and sharing too! What gouge wire you have used between the generator and the manual switch?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks