• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Considering LMTV

Nomadic

The 6x6 is overkill for average use. Unless you need the weight carrying capacity. I put a good 6500lbs in the back of a 4x4. The frame has arms that stick down a bit with rubber bumpers, the suspension squats down a bit and the bumpers sit on the rear axle with heavy weight in the bed. I drove around just fine like this. I have a detroit locker in my rear axle. But there really isn’t anywhere to go off roading near me, that I wouldn’t end up stuck between two trees.
Impressive weight back there. I'm curious how much the rear was squatting (if any). Did you snap any pics?

There was a post here where a guy put a shit load of small rocks in the back. More than double the advertised payload carrying capacity. He disconnected the CTIS to inflate the tires properly for the given load. I could barly make out if it was squatting in the rear. It looked good.

19Detail

I wasn't paying attention and loaded 11,000 pounds in my 1078 once. I only drove it a couple of miles, but I did walk around it to make sure the wheels were up to the task. Drove it home and unloaded it and then checked the weight on the receipt. The rubber bumpers on mine are painted and they are still painted, so I have to think they were not deformed in any way. Wouldn't recommend it, but in a pinch, it can do a lot.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The bumpers were just about sitting on the rear axles. I didnt take a pic. The trucks are very overbuilt. Theres a vid somewhere from 5 or so years ago of me pulling a metal plate with 34000lbs of concrete on it on dirt. Could have done more. You can kind of see the suspension squat a bit in that vid.

19Detail

The bumpers were just about sitting on the rear axles. I didnt take a pic. The trucks are very overbuilt. Theres a vid somewhere from 5 or so years ago of me pulling a metal plate with 34000lbs of concrete on it on dirt. Could have done more. You can kind of see the suspension squat a bit in that vid.
They are insanely overbuilt. The only thing they do not over build is whatever the soldier touches. Seats, door handles, heater, all crap. Like they were mad at them. Maybe it was an Army initiative, some general saying "I want them coming out of that truck MAD" : )

Reworked LMTV

They are insanely overbuilt. The only thing they do not over build is whatever the soldier touches. Seats, door handles, heater, all crap. Like they were mad at them. Maybe it was an Army initiative, some general saying "I want them coming out of that truck MAD" : )
Stewart and Stevenson was inexperienced at building these. Yes, things like door handles were not the best. Fortunately, they ended up with the highest overall reliability of any military vehicle of its type, PROVIDED the maintenance is done. I think the rating was related to major components.

Drilling in the high carbon frame is like trying to break into Fort Knox.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks