• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Contact Maintenance......GEEZ....

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the placards on the back, it wouldnt suprise me at all if that truck was an ex-EOD truck, that carried a big bomb "caldron" in the back.. Which, over time, destroys the springs in the back.

JohnFire

I saw one of those on one that was being sold up in pa. From what I could tell it was a throttle control for a hand throttle in the cab. Smitty I am going to try and sell my box when I get back to PA in april but it is a good distance between us there. As much as I have tried to justify me having a truck with a box, I truely can. But the truck has really low miles and starts good so I would like to use it as a good pickup.

1956_4x4

JohnFire said:
I saw one of those on one that was being sold up in pa. From what I could tell it was a throttle control for a hand throttle in the cab. Smitty I am going to try and sell my box when I get back to PA in april but it is a good distance between us there. As much as I have tried to justify me having a truck with a box, I truely can. But the truck has really low miles and starts good so I would like to use it as a good pickup.
The generator in my 1031 runs off a pto driven by the main engine. There are controllers by the generator control panel that maintain engine rpm to provide the correct electrical output. (I hope these things don't ever go out, because they sure look expensive!)

You shouldn't have any problem selling the box off your truck. I don't need a whole box, just a door. I'm going to drill out the rivets and try putting this door in a press. Unfortunately, it's double wall and I don't think it will do any good.

Smitty

1956_4x4

TacticalTruck said:
1956_4x4 said:
It's a throttle control unit for the generator.
Mine dosen't work. Any typical problems with them? The relay in the back control panel is buzzing pretty good.
Jeff
There should be a schematic on the door that provides the layout of the electrical components for operating the generator. If you don't have it I can see if I can get a photo of mine that will help you out. I had two problems with mine; the magnetic pickup for the pto speed was bad and had to be replaced, and the switch that is on the transmission shift linkage under the master cylinder was out of adjustment. I fixed these and mine worked fine.
There is also another safety switch on the transfer case shift lever that could go out (mine was bypassed and I left it that way).

Smitty

JohnFire

I hope it is easy to sell it. I have to wait till I get back home to do it. I am finally going to get the sf97 completeted so hopefully the title will be done by the time I am home in April.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
The truck that was the subject of this post, and that I bid on the first time, is for sale again.......

About the forth or fifth or time I've had this happen to me with different vehicles.

SmokeyDod

FMJ,,,,,,, I have two of these M1031 Cont. Maint trks. One of them Iv'e tagged and son & I drive. I have it setup so I can pull up to side of my house if power goes off and plug it it & it will run most off my house. We put a small welder in it (runs off 220v 1 ph).
The other one is in prettly good shape , needs tranny but I would put in one if someone interested. It don't have orig air comp but I have a small one that runs off of 110v which works find. Anyone interested. call 864-313-4450 . I kinda of hate to get rid of it because if something goes wrong on one I use it might be hard to replace. Oh the Gen has 19 hrs and truck has about 40K I think
Smokey 4/6 after getting junk out of front seat I posted miliage wrong . I it is'nt 40,000 but 19000+ miles showing on it. The gen was correct, 19 hours on it. I ran a std 3 wire & ground from my breaker & put a welder type prong on both ends of 20 ft elec wire so I can hook it to truck and to my house AFTER pulling MAIN switch on my breaker.

truck0590

Finally a group of folks that have these and use them...
Smitty or anybody else that has a docs on the gen systems that would be greatly appreciated. I've found just about every other manual but nothing on this. I was having a couple of issues with my power output before the truck quit running (long story).
SmokeyDod, I'd love to see pix/writeup on how you setup the house plug in thing.
Anybody have a true curb weight of one of these (w/gen and compressor) - again mine not running right now. I'm looking into a 2 post vehicle lift and want to be able to lift this truck if necissary even though most of what I will be lifting is jeeps.

I can be reached at truckmassey at comcast.net

Truck

1956_4x4

The manuals you need are 9-4940-562-13 and 9-4940-562-24P. I don't think these have been released, but I can look them over on the base if there is something specific you are trying to troubleshoot.

Smitty

SmokeyDod

Truck There seems to be a little confusion about how the type gen works. 1st put transfer case in "N" neutral. 2nd pull out "Blue" know in cab of truck which engages the "PTO shaft to turn your generator to abat 1800 rpm (this is gen speed NOT engine speed). 3rd place gear shift lever in either 2nd gear or "D" You then will hear generator pick up speed !!!(DO NOT RACE ENGINE OR place foot on accelarator pedal) Last you flip toogle swith in cab to engage "govenor" (this is the alum box close to your IP) This govenor controls speed of engine depending on load of amps being pulled by gen. IF YOU LEAVE YOUR GEAR SHIFT LEVER IN NEUTRAL, YOUR ENGINE WILL START RUNNING WIDE OPEN!!. As to my setup to run my home I added and extra 50 amp breaker in bottom of my house breaker box and run a power line to outside of my house and installed a receptible that would handle 220v single phase. I had to run dials on gen up to 240/245 v so that everything in house works properly. When I need to use it(power out) I TURN OFF MY MAIN IN HOUSE BREAKER and then set my truck up outside and turn on gen and plug it in.. However ALWAYS BE SURE TO TURN OFF YOUR MAUN BREAKER OR else the power company people could get "Electrocuted. Smokey

1956_4x4

SmokeyDod said:
Truck There seems to be a little confusion about how the type gen works. 1st put transfer case in "N" neutral. 2nd pull out "Blue" know in cab of truck which engages the "PTO shaft to turn your generator to abat 1800 rpm (this is gen speed NOT engine speed). 3rd place gear shift lever in either 2nd gear or "D" You then will hear generator pick up speed !!!(DO NOT RACE ENGINE OR place foot on accelarator pedal) Last you flip toogle swith in cab to engage "govenor" (this is the alum box close to your IP) This govenor controls speed of engine depending on load of amps being pulled by gen. IF YOU LEAVE YOUR GEAR SHIFT LEVER IN NEUTRAL, YOUR ENGINE WILL START RUNNING WIDE OPEN!!. As to my setup to run my home I added and extra 50 amp breaker in bottom of my house breaker box and run a power line to outside of my house and installed a receptible that would handle 220v single phase. I had to run dials on gen up to 240/245 v so that everything in house works properly. When I need to use it(power out) I TURN OFF MY MAIN IN HOUSE BREAKER and then set my truck up outside and turn on gen and plug it in.. However ALWAYS BE SURE TO TURN OFF YOUR MAUN BREAKER OR else the power company people could get "Electrocuted. Smokey
My truck has safety switches that will not allow the system to engage unless the transfer case is in neutral and the transmission is in drive.

"I had to run dials on gen up to 240/245 v so that everything in house works properly." What dials are you adjusting?

Smitty

SmokeyDod

On the panel on rh side which you have to take off green metal cover, u will find panel boxes. there are two blue boxes top says "Ramp Generator" The bott one says "Droop" On the lower side u will see a dial marked "Gain" Don't mess with it. beside it u will see "speed" with curved arrow pointing to "INC" There is a very small screw. So small u almost have to use thin knife blade to turn it. clockwise increases speed of engine. TURN IT A SMALL AMT AT A TIME (SAY 1/4 TURN) AND WAIT APPROX MINUTE. This should cause increase in engine with in turn increases gen speed which increase voltage output. FIRST of all you need to use a GOOD volt meter and check say the 220V receptable on panel board to see what gen is putting out to start with. Then as you increase this screw check voltage output then. LEAVE ALL THAT OTHER STUFF "DROOP" GAIN RAMP ETC ALONE. HOPE IT HELPS.

truck0590

that helps...I'll look and see if I can find this stuff. This may explain why the generator wouldn't run my miller 200 mig welder because it just wasn't putting out enough. I didn't know it was adjustable.

Thanks,

Still anybody have any ideas on curb weight?

Truck

1956_4x4

truck0590 said:
that helps...I'll look and see if I can find this stuff. This may explain why the generator wouldn't run my miller 200 mig welder because it just wasn't putting out enough. I didn't know it was adjustable.

Thanks,

Still anybody have any ideas on curb weight?

Truck
I think the tag on my door says 5250.

Smitty

SmokeyDod

truck0590 The wt of 5250 is the M1031 truck itself without maint box. Total wt should be approx 9000 to 9200# To get exact just go to truck stop w/scales & weigh it.
As to your Mig welder, first of all find out what AMPS it pulls at the moment of starting to weld. very important as this gen has a
"MAX" of 45 amp as per lettering of front of panel. A friend of mine has a siren 220v 3-ph he wanted to use in a "farm days event. I said it pulled 30 amp so no problem but everytime we tried it it would kickoff breaker. Come to find out due big dia of fan blades it took 100-110 inital momentary start up amps. If its not kicking off breaker then start up the generator & ck voltage coming out of the 110 and 220v outlets. If they are low then adj screw a "little" at a time as described. KNOW THE VOLTAGE COMING OUT BEFORE YOU START PLUGGING IN THINGS AS YOU CAN RUIN YOUR EQUIPMENT YOURE PLUGGING IN. SMOKEY

Crash_AF

SmokeyDod said:
I TURN OFF MY MAIN IN HOUSE BREAKER and then set my truck up outside and turn on gen and plug it in.. However ALWAYS BE SURE TO TURN OFF YOUR MAUN BREAKER OR else the power company people could get "Electrocuted. Smokey
Technically, this is against electrical code because the main house breaker is not a complete 'safe open' break in electrical supply so there is a chance that the backup power can backfeed to the commercial power lines even though the breaker is open. By code you are supposed to have a disconnect switch that disconnects the primary and connects the backup so that the two can never be connected at the same time.

Later,
Joe

truck0590

SmokeyDod said:
truck0590 The wt of 5250 is the M1031 truck itself without maint box. Total wt should be approx 9000 to 9200# To get exact just go to truck stop w/scales & weigh it.
My tag say 9K plus as well but I was wondering true curb weight. As I mentioned mine is not currently running or I would just run it over to a truck scale.

SmokeyDod said:
As to your Mig welder, first of all find out what AMPS it pulls at the moment of starting to weld. very important as this gen has a
"MAX" of 45 amp as per lettering of front of panel. A friend of mine has a siren 220v 3-ph he wanted to use in a "farm days event. I said it pulled 30 amp so no problem but everytime we tried it it would kickoff breaker. Come to find out due big dia of fan blades it took 100-110 inital momentary start up amps. If its not kicking off breaker then start up the generator & ck voltage coming out of the 110 and 220v outlets. If they are low then adj screw a "little" at a time as described. KNOW THE VOLTAGE COMING OUT BEFORE YOU START PLUGGING IN THINGS AS YOU CAN RUIN YOUR EQUIPMENT YOURE PLUGGING IN. SMOKEY
Good info, thanks I will keep this in mind.

Truck

truck0590

I also wouldn't mind seeing how you "plugged in" to the house...what did you use cable and outlet wise to transfer the power. Email me if you like to above address.

Truck