• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Contact Maintenance Trailer

MatthewH

I applaud your ingenuity, You have a trailer to be proud of. Since the weight is more on the rear would it be wise to install 4 crank jacks to keep it level when not hooked up to the truck..?

Actually, the majority of the weight is on the tongue, since the welder and torch bottles are in the front cabinets. Thats why when i built my trailer to hold my box, I extended the tongue out a little farther. I may have over estimated the weight of the box, but i have plans for the extra space out front

MatthewH

Thanks to a break in the weather, I was able to get my M116A2 stripped down and set the M887 box on it. Following Kenny's lead, we set it all the way back on the trailer. While I still need to bolt it down and hook up the wires, a couple observations.

First: My box is still equipped with the Hobart welder/genny, as well as an AC5 Acetylene tank, and a T Oxygen. I've modified the air system with a larger 11gal tank, piggy backed off the orig wall mounted unit. IIRC, there's 100ft of 2/0 copper welding leads on board, as well as a 5gal boat can to run the welder. That's it, as I keep most of my tools in the shop till needed.
This suckers heavy. As it sits, I'm probably at max load for the trailer, if not over. The springs are not liking life, so I'm going to have to have a heavier set built, or just build a heavier trailer.

Second: Its a tight fit side to side, I've only got maybe 1/8" play side to side.

Third: As mentioned earlier, a hand crank jack is defiantly needed. Since most of the weight is in the front portion of the box, it has an insane amount of tongue weight. Once I get it bolted down and lights hooked up, ill run it down to the local pit and have it weighed.

Cause everybody likes pics

Attachments

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On one of my trailers, I was always bumping the max load on the springs too. There was just enough U-bolts thread extra sticking out, to take the springs apart and add one extra leaf to the pack. It does the job. Just get or make a longer center bolt. Put it on top the third leaf from the bottom. You don't have to drop the spring pack to do it.

86m1028

Thanks to a break in the weather, I was able to get my M116A2 stripped down and set the M887 box on it. Following Kenny's lead, we set it all the way back on the trailer. While I still need to bolt it down and hook up the wires, a couple observations.

First: My box is still equipped with the Hobart welder/genny, as well as an AC5 Acetylene tank, and a T Oxygen. I've modified the air system with a larger 11gal tank, piggy backed off the orig wall mounted unit. IIRC, there's 100ft of 2/0 copper welding leads on board, as well as a 5gal boat can to run the welder. That's it, as I keep most of my tools in the shop till needed.
This suckers heavy. As it sits, I'm probably at max load for the trailer, if not over. The springs are not liking life, so I'm going to have to have a heavier set built, or just build a heavier trailer.

Second: Its a tight fit side to side, I've only got maybe 1/8" play side to side.

Third: As mentioned earlier, a hand crank jack is defiantly needed. Since most of the weight is in the front portion of the box, it has an insane amount of tongue weight. Once I get it bolted down and lights hooked up, ill run it down to the local pit and have it weighed.

Cause everybody likes pics

I really like the taillights & work lights on the rear of the box.
This build is giving me ideas. I have a gen trailer with humvee tires & a folding tongue.
Need to measure it & compare it to secm box. It already has a fuel tank built in.
Oh the possibilities...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW I added a 2" block to the aft crossmember when I built mine. The body sits much better that way. I have an M887 body on my CUCV and it's blocked up 2" in the rear.

Last edited:

86m1028

Thanks for the info.
I have the newer style box (pto driven gen)
Do you think an a3 axle would fit better ?
Inside clearance of tires looks really close.

MatthewH

That's stock A2 axle and frame, I think its the way the pics taken.

The led lights fit great, all I had to do was remove the 4" rounds, level the lights, mark and drill the holes. Alot better imho than the old 4" rounds.

I'll look into the blocks, had limited time with the crane to move it

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info.
I have the newer style box (pto driven gen)
Do you think an a3 axle would fit better ?
Inside clearance of tires looks really close.
There is an outboard frame rail on the M887 bodies. It is a little close and an A3 axle with stockish tires might work. It will not work with A3 tires. I have an A3 with 235/85R16 cucv rolling stock. I can measure it for sure.

Ref tail lights, I considered same. I even test fit them but haven't installed yet.

oddave715

After five years or better of wanting to do this it looks like I am on track to start this project finally. I have located a 887 bed. It needs some work. Door latches are rusty, back end has some dents and one door hinge has the rod missing. Now my dilemma is what to put it on. I have a m101a1 and a m101a3. I had picked up the a3 to replace the a1 so that I would have a nicer, newer trailer and its wider between the wheel wells. I like the idea of having brakes on the trailer with this bed but I really want to keep the a3 as is for firewood and hardware store duty. The down side of using the a1 chassis is that the springs are a little lower on one side(fatigued?), no brakes and smaller frame. Oh and by the way I just put a new a3 axle under my a3 trailer as the original axle had a bent spindle. This project is going to get expensive if I have to buy another trailer.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm about to do this myself. However the body will be sitting on the M116 bed by way of a nine inch spacer (also known as a piece of a scrapped deuce frame). And the electric welder will not be in it, which will help on the tongue weight. Ferro has to get the MEP002 off the trailer, and I will need to dress up the spacer before bolting/welding everything together.

oddave715

I'm about to do this myself. However the body will be sitting on the M116 bed by way of a nine inch spacer (also known as a piece of a scrapped deuce frame). And the electric welder will not be in it, which will help on the tongue weight. Ferro has to get the MEP002 off the trailer, and I will need to dress up the spacer before bolting/welding everything together.

Why not just bolt the bed straight to the trailer chassis?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sky hook!
Well, if he uses a skyhook, he will probably need a spare tire hoist to lift himself up.

As far as chassis choice, the A3 has the bigger frame rails and higher GVW. When I assembled the original one the A3 axle and tiresm were too wide. I felt the A2 axle was too narrow. An A3 axle with 235/85R16 tires might fit and be perfect. Come Thursday I can measure and confirm. I have an A3 with those tires and an 887 body.

oddave715

Well, if he uses a skyhook, he will probably need a spare tire hoist to lift himself up.

As far as chassis choice, the A3 has the bigger frame rails and higher GVW. When I assembled the original one the A3 axle and tiresm were too wide. I felt the A2 axle was too narrow. An A3 axle with 235/85R16 tires might fit and be perfect. Come Thursday I can measure and confirm. I have an A3 with those tires and an 887 body.

I think it's doable. Last night I measured the a3 chassis with hmmwv tires and the bed. It looks like you will have to take a little metal out of the outside of the "wheel well" that is built into the body. It would be easy to make a small flare out of angle aluminum and rivet it on. The hmmwv tire measured out to only about an inch beyond the sheet metal.