• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Contact Maintenance Truck - specific about tools and box organization? TM for box?

bimota

I'm trying to retrofit my M1031 Contact Maintenance Truck back to close to original with all tools, locations etc. My M944A1 manual shows each tool, each location for that tool and details locations for each storage and mount of each piece of equipment. I want to find the same things for the M1010 Contact Maintenance Truck. I already checked the CUCV TM's - nothing there about the box and tools. Someone out there knows. :?:

Changed to M1031 from M1030

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is your NSN. There are three variants: eod, eng and ord. Please edit your post to be the correct M number, unless it is a motorcycle contact maintenance vehicle.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I think there were 4 different versions and only 2 had set kits and the other 2 were "as determined by Commander". I have the sko's for the 2 somewhere on a disc. I'll try to hunt it down this week.

Stonepicker1

I'm trying to retrofit my M1030 Contact Maintenance Truck back to close to original with all tools, locations etc. My M944A1 manual shows each tool, each location for that tool and details locations for each storage and mount of each piece of equipment. I want to find the same things for the M1010 Contact Maintenance Truck. I already checked the CUCV TM's - nothing there about the box and tools. Someone out there knows. :?:
I have a hard copy of TM 9-4940-562-13 and is shows the shop equipment compartment identification and location of tools with their NSN on pages F-2 to F-16.

bimota

I have a hard copy of TM 9-4940-562-13 and is shows the shop equipment compartment identification and location of tools with their NSN on pages F-2 to F-16.

Yes, if that covers the CUCV - it appears not listed in Steel Soldiers TMs - anyone got electronic that they can upload to SS?

bimota

somewhat helpful

Distribution authorized to U.S. Gov agencies only.
I have the same issue with the manuals for my M944A1 - the trailer model is openly available the truck model not distributed - which makes the control a little silly but hey, that must be some rational right????aua

Any chance I can get copies of the figures you mention - I don't really need the whole manual just what tools and where to store them.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
So the type I NSN last four -8823 is used by units which will identify and provide their peculiar tool loads.

Type II -8824 is a type I shop set plus a tool load peculiar to the Enigineer unit that will enable the operator to perform onsite maint and repair of engineer equip

Type III -8825 is a type I lus tool load peculiar to the Ordnance unit

EOD is a type I EOD who will identify and provide their own peculiar tool load to the shop set.

I'd send the tool list from the unclass tool listings but can't get the system to upload it cause the are in word and too large. And now I've become frustrated and ready to say F it.

Now as far as the TM, you can request declass of this manual. It's on the first couple pages of the manual, there should be an address there. There's really no reason for it to remain (or to have ever been) classified.

Skinny

My SECM box is placarded in each compartment with what tools are suppose to be there but I have never seen a photo of a box loaded up with the equipment other than the genny/compressor/welder arrangement. Mine came with a set of lights and bead breaker...SCORE!!!

Keith_J

Nice score, Skinny. Mine came with two sets of NATO cables, a 4 ton and 15 ton 25 foot long chains with hooks on both ends. Plus axle towing adapters for a recovery vehicle and brass pipe/tube fitting set. Also, all of the 300 watt lights, some assorted wire and original paperwork, including compressor and generator civy manuals.

I use mine daily. The generator had 1.4 hours on it, now is is over 6 hours. Had to use the compressor to run the impact wrench to swap the shocks out Saturday. Yes, while the truck was running.

I believe the manuals can be obtained on a per case basis under the FOI Act. If you obtained the 1031 through GL and passed the EUC process, there shouldn't be any worries.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hard part of the tool load to find is the Miller XMT300 welder. It also takes a Miller Spoolgun 3. The balance of the tools are items you probably already own. (Cutting torch, socket sets, etc.)

m38inmaine

The XMT300(later issue?) was just one model of welder available for use. Mine has a Miller Ramrod welder(early?), specially corded and marked to work in the SECM body. The SECM body had two styles of brackets special to each welder depending on which welder was chosen. Not all SECM bodies were set up to accept welding equipment and the brackets won't be present. The SECM body designed to house the larger Ramrod welder has the generator control board lower support higher to clear the lifting hook on the welder. From all the different SECM bodies I have seen the welding bracket/mounts were factory installed, not by the unit.

Last edited:

Skinny

I will simply state that the Miller RamRod weighs approximately one metric ton and is rather difficult to unload when an SS member buys it!

Anyone have pix of a loaded SECM box when they were in service? It would be a good thread along with the M1010.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The XMT300(later issue?) was just one model of welder available for use. Mine has a Miller Ramrod welder(early?), specially corded and marked to work in the SECM body. The SECM body had two styles of brackets special to each welder depending on which welder was chosen. Not all SECM bodies were set up to accept welding equipment and the brackets won't be present. The SECM body designed to house the larger Ramrod welder has the generator control board lower support higher to clear the lifting hook on the welder. From all the different SECM bodies I have seen the welding bracket/mounts were factory installed, not by the unit.
Agreed, I have seen the Ramrod in numerous GL auction glamour shots. The -13 manual calls for the XMT which is a heck of a welder.

What I cannot figure out is where the big tool chest is supposed to go. The -13 calls for a 5140-00-388-3416 Tool box which is a 13"W 26"L 15"H "top chest" made by various mfgrs such as Waterloo. The straps in the compartments do not suit this box.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed, I have seen the Ramrod in numerous GL auction glamour shots. The -13 manual calls for the XMT which is a heck of a welder.

What I cannot figure out is where the big tool chest is supposed to go. The -13 calls for a 5140-00-388-3416 Tool box which is a 13"W 26"L 15"H "top chest" made by various mfgrs such as Waterloo. The straps in the compartments do not suit this box.
Refer to Mikes pic. Curbside area 2B is where the tool box goes. I found 2 (3) drawer center boxes at Lowes that nest in that spot perfectly. Any upper box doesn't open when in that spot.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Had to do some converting but here is what I found. Just so you know howto read this. The letter under the "IND column is an

A = for the entire set
B = for a major item within the set (Component)
C = a component for a major item (Sub-Component)

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks