• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting Deuce body to Dump??

Towmans2277

Hello all! I need to convert my duece to have the bed dump.... what would be some suggestions? Someone i'm sure has done this at some point!!! Electric/Hydraulic hoist unit??? Please give some suggestions or insight... I seen somewhere someone talked of mounting a hydraulic pump on the truck, PTO driven?? How would YOU do this feat?!

RE: Converting Duece body to Dump??

HMMM right up my alley.. I have been thinking of building a conversion kit to do this for sometime. How close are you to Decatur? i got a big shop up here. we are starting to make power steering conversion kits, and have been thinking of building a kit for some time. You can go either way electric over hydraulic or gear driven. Nice thing about electric over hydraulic. you can dump the bed still while you are trying to position the truck and what not.

Also WELCOME TO THE SITE [thumbzup]

Towmans2277

Hey man, I'm just North of Mobile, AL. I like the Electric/Hydraulic setup, but was just wondering if anyone had actually DONE some kind of conversion yet. I'm heavy into Towing, and i've been a member on here for awhile (towman2277), but couldn't recover my password!! I had a 5-ton Bridge truck that I sold to another member on here, (deloit, GREAT guy!), and it was just TOO big for me to make a dump! The power steering method sounds interesting....

Havent done it yet. Got a few things that need taken care of first. but It will be done soon. gonna start doing it for some guys that are wanting a duece but want to have a dump bed. keep us informed on what you do. i will do the same

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Steve, send an email to support at steel soldiers dot com and mike will get you hooked up with the old screen name! We're trying to weed out some of the extra names on the site that aren't being used. Been a while Sir! Welcome back

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Boatcarpenter

Thanks clinto,
I don't do very well with the search function, unless I have lots of time to spend at it :(
I just knew there was lots of good info there.
BC

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been thinking of adding a dump myself. It would be no problem at all to just install a hinge and a hoist to the bed to get it to dump but I want my truck to still "look" stock. To keep the stock look requires a little more thinking. You have issues with the rear pintle and bumperettes. In my opinion the bed frame needs to be strengthened also when you add a dump to keep it from bending when you dump a heavy load. Most civilain dump beds are made alot heavier than a duece bed.

I've installed several dumps on civilain trucks and I've never been a fan of electric hyd. pumps. The ones I've been around were slow and didn't seem to have the power of a PTO pump. You'll never see a "real" dump truck with a electric pump.

tm america

i put a dump on my m35a2c its a twin cylinder set up i made the tank boxed the bed frame rails im running electrick over hydrualic works great ive had it stacked over the roof with concrete .sand and railroad tie dumped it no matter how much i put in there my tank sits next to the air tanks on the inside of the frame still got the mud flaps looks stock except i have 2x4s instead of one by's between the bed and frame i used a 12 volt pump it works great on 24 volts just need to use a 24 volt starter relay or youlll cook the relay real fast

dm22630

i put a dump on my m35a2c its a twin cylinder set up i made the tank boxed the bed frame rails im running electrick over hydrualic works great ive had it stacked over the roof with concrete .sand and railroad tie dumped it no matter how much i put in there my tank sits next to the air tanks on the inside of the frame still got the mud flaps looks stock except i have 2x4s instead of one by's between the bed and frame i used a 12 volt pump it works great on 24 volts just need to use a 24 volt starter relay or youlll cook the relay real fast

Do you have pics?

And a list of what you used?

tm america

im gonna have to re scan then but ill get em up soon pump is from northern tool scissor and hinge set up was off a old grain truck i had it has two six inch cylinders its a thirty ton unit ive seen em online they sell for 6000 to 7000 new northern sell a kit they have a 5,7,and a 10 ton kit from 1500 to i think 3000 for hte biggest one i used 3/16 plate to box the bed frame same thickness as the bed frame oh ya the bumperettes had to go

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, I have to say.nopics

Sounds like you've got one heck of a hoist under there. I belive you'll overload the truck long before the hoist gives out.

How fast is the electric pump? All I've seen were awfully slow.

tm america

it goes up pretty quick since i have a 12 volt pump running on 24 volts thats what the low rider guys do they run em on 48 volts to get the volume they need to make em bounce it goes just a little slower than it did with the pto pump im running the highest volume pump northern tool sells it takes like 45 secs to raise it all the way remember it has to push alot of fluid just about five gallons to fill the cylinders

JohnnyReb

I have the electric/hyd. on my deuce and the set up is slower than a PTO. However, I like the advantages: not having to keep the clutch out to raise the bed and I can manuver the truck anyway I desire while still controlling the bed independently.

I kept the original bed but beefed it up where the hoist is attached.

I limit the dump load to no more than 5-7K that way the bed is not bending...the hoist is not warping the frame...the rear shackles are not cracking from a single frame application.

All and all the dump makes a deuce very handy.... Highly recommend...

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have the electric/hyd. on my deuce and the set up is slower than a PTO. However, I like the advantages: not having to keep the clutch out to raise the bed and I can manuver the truck anyway I desire while still controlling the bed independently.
And you can raise the bed to drain water out of the bed or off the cargo cover after it rains without having to start the engine.

SR71BLACKBIRD

Here is what I did. This way you can keep the deuce stock. I sold a few this way. Factory trailer brakes, factory wiring, or hook it to your pickup with pintol adapter or your tracter. All self contained

Attachments

abh3

I've built two Deuce dumps, one with a 5-ton dump body and the other with a commercial hoist frame and the stock M35 body. Both were PTO driven, I think that's the way to go if you really use the dump more than to haul firewood twice a year and the 5-ton body is tough if you haul rock or rough materials...

The 5-ton bed required moving the pump over to the left side with thick steel plates to hang it with & run hoses to/from the stock location. These plates were fabbed from mild steel and bolt to the pump and original base with a thin gasket, no problems so far. I used the rare 'front and back' Deuce PTO to drive this setup as I have a winch on this truck as well.

The commercial dump hoist frame worked well enough but it got complicated in the PTO department. I used a sprocket on the regular front output PTO to chain drive a jack-shaft that then drove the shaft going back to the pump, so two sprockets, chain, two pillow-block bearings, jack-shaft and then a pto shaft w/ two u-joints, whew! If I were to do it again I think I'd mount the pump in front of the PTO and just use longer hoses. The problem I had was if the pto was accidentally put in 'high' it tended to throw the chain and the whole thing was vulnerable when off road...

Deuce dumps are great where you need to tread lightly, bad woods roads, stream crossings, etc., places where a big truck will just sink and/or leave a huge mess. It beats the hell outa 5 yard single axle dumps for offroad!!!

yeager1

To make a deuce w/winch into a dump (since the duel output PTO's are hard to find) I would think getting a hydraulic pump and mounting it directly to the front side of the original PTO would work best. You would lose the PTO shaft to the winch, but for the cost of the duel output PTO, you could buy a hydraulic motor and convert the winch to hydraulic drive. I like hydraulic drive winches much more and they are very user friendly. Total cost would be about the same, but you'd have a sweet winch set-up. For a few hundred bucks, you could even get a wireless remote like all the big wreckers have on there hyd. winches. Would be one sweet set-up, especially when working alone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks