• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting my M870A1 to 17.5 tubless tires!

M920

Since my M870A1 trailer sees the most use around here and is used for various interstate missions, I decided to convert it to tubless tires.

The original size was a 10.00R15, tube type tire on a Dayton split rim. I was having trouble when on the road, finding tire shops that were willing to "deal" with split rims and in addition, the 10.00x15s are getting hard to optain to.
So I found a place that sells 17.5" rims that mount to the same hubs/wheel centers and use the same lugs as the 15" rims!

The new tires are 235/70 R 17.5s and they are almost 4" smaller in diameter with a 6000 pound rating!
This lowers the deck of the M870A1 about 2"....always nice to have on a "low"-boy trailer!

While I was swapping out the rims and tires, I also changed the brake shoes on the last axle, since on of the shoes had lost half of it's lining a while back.

I really like the new setup and the lower trailer deck and hope to get to test it on the road soon!:driver:

Here are some pics of the swap....

Soni

Attachments

M920

Can you share the wheel mfgr and p/n?
Ok....I found the receipt for the 17.5" rims:

Centurion Wheel Manufacturing Company

-Size: 17.5" x 6.75"

-offset: 3.90"

-Weight: 46 pounds

-Style: Tubless

-Part Number: 175675TLDMR

Hope this helps.....

Soni

benand117

They do that with the wheels for trucks too. If you have a truck that runs say 10.00x20 daytons which are bias ply tube type you can just bolt on a low pro 22.5 or a 11r22.5 which are radial and tubeless. It's really nice if you have a older truck that needs new shoes. The wheels used are only like 75 bucks and recons are only a little more. The tires are cheaper too and common everywhere and you can get retreads. I use to do comerical tires did this all the time. Even on a big 10 ton fork lift. Just thought you guys would like to know. Oh yeah and THIS ONLY WORKS WITH DAYTONS.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks