• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting my M870A1 to 17.5 tubless tires!

M920

Since my M870A1 trailer sees the most use around here and is used for various interstate missions, I decided to convert it to tubless tires.

The original size was a 10.00R15, tube type tire on a Dayton split rim. I was having trouble when on the road, finding tire shops that were willing to "deal" with split rims and in addition, the 10.00x15s are getting hard to optain to.
So I found a place that sells 17.5" rims that mount to the same hubs/wheel centers and use the same lugs as the 15" rims!

The new tires are 235/70 R 17.5s and they are almost 4" smaller in diameter with a 6000 pound rating!
This lowers the deck of the M870A1 about 2"....always nice to have on a "low"-boy trailer!

While I was swapping out the rims and tires, I also changed the brake shoes on the last axle, since on of the shoes had lost half of it's lining a while back.

I really like the new setup and the lower trailer deck and hope to get to test it on the road soon!:driver:

Here are some pics of the swap....

Soni

Attachments

M920

Can you share the wheel mfgr and p/n?
Ok....I found the receipt for the 17.5" rims:

Centurion Wheel Manufacturing Company

-Size: 17.5" x 6.75"

-offset: 3.90"

-Weight: 46 pounds

-Style: Tubless

-Part Number: 175675TLDMR

Hope this helps.....

Soni

benand117

They do that with the wheels for trucks too. If you have a truck that runs say 10.00x20 daytons which are bias ply tube type you can just bolt on a low pro 22.5 or a 11r22.5 which are radial and tubeless. It's really nice if you have a older truck that needs new shoes. The wheels used are only like 75 bucks and recons are only a little more. The tires are cheaper too and common everywhere and you can get retreads. I use to do comerical tires did this all the time. Even on a big 10 ton fork lift. Just thought you guys would like to know. Oh yeah and THIS ONLY WORKS WITH DAYTONS.