• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Convoy lights... install instructions

CanonNinja

Got my kit, which looks awesome (save for the missing paint on the poles, courtesy of UPS and crappy packaging), and now, I realize I have no instuctions or installation guide to help me out. I'm a crafty guy, and sure I can figure most of it out, but does anyone have an "official" guide or manual printout for these? Thanks!

dabtl

I will have to get them emailed to you. David got them around Christmas and they are on our computer. But, I am not smart enough to attach them.

Deuceswild

I have the original instructions from the convoy light kit for installation on the M35s,, NOS from Uncle Sam, Send me a PM with your E-mail add., I'll scan them them and send them out.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you use the holes already in the back of the cab, their should be two vertical rails on the back of the cab for the post to lay in.
James G.

CGarbee

rumplecat said:
I think you use the holes already in the back of the cab, their should be two vertical rails on the back of the cab for the post to lay in.
James G.
That is correct. The two u-bolts for each mast go through existing holes in the back of the cab. Area the mast ride in is reinforced some... The instal is pretty obvious when you have the parts, instructions, and the truck all within sight of each other :)

CGarbee

I got one set from Rick Larsen (Military Stencils) and one set from Sam Winer. Got them both years ago for about half what TNJ is selling them for now... Wonder if either one still has any in the bin?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sam Winer was getting more from somewhere when I bought mine in 2003. Since then they have been listing them on Ebay. I ended up getting mine from Adelmans in Canton OH for $150. By the time I had them shipped it was close to $230. The box is quite large and goes about 80#.

CanonNinja

can anyone post pics of how they routed the wiring or mounted the lights at the cab and the lights up top to the lower masts? I want to double check my work

Crazyguypa

Anyone have a scanned copy of the instructions that they could pm/email me. Got a set from TNJ and was able to get the beacons mounted on the pole, but now I'm at a loss as far as the rest of the kit. The instructions for the kit were missing except for mounting the beacons on the pole. I'd like to get them mounted this weekend while I have time off.

Thanks

CGarbee

Wires from the lights run down inside the poles. Ground lugs are affixed at the running board supports. Power wire runs along the frame on the driver's side, up the firewall, through an existing hole to a spot under the dash where you have mounted the switch (L-bracket is affixed to the bottom edge of the dash). Wire from switch goes back through the firewall down to the high/low beam switch where it connects into the system by means of a y-tap. You unplug the power feed to the dimmer switch and plug it into the y-tap, hook the line from the beacon switch into the -y-tap, and the jumper from the tap to the switch. The beacon can only operate when the service lights are on (by design).

I'm doing this from memory, the plans are in the drawer next to me... But I've installed more than one set...

Good luck.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Complete Convoy Light Kits are going to be getting very scarce in the very near future. I have it on good word that after the few left at TNJ are gone the only supplier that currently has any left (and he knows the supply is almost depleted) will be jacking the price up to $500+. Call Jonh and get them while he has them. I just bought 3 more kits for myself based on this info. $200 is a great deal.