• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Convoy lights... install instructions

FreightTrain

Banned
Be careful with TNJ.I got a kit from them a few weeks ago.First I ordered.Waited Waited Waited,Emailed them about it.They said the price had dropped to $150 since they couldn't find wiring.Ok,Fine with me I told them.They sent the "kit" but charged me full price.Ok,I contacted them again said they would fix it....today I got another box in with the wires.But Still not all teh parts pictured.No nuts,Bolts,Ubolts,etc.Does anyone know where I can get U bolts,the L Bracket for the switch,the handle for the switch,the label for the switch(yea,All they sent was the switch itself in a DHL box).

Armada

Complete Convoy Light Kits are going to be getting very scarce in the very near future. I have it on good word that after the few left at TNJ are gone the only supplier that currently has any left (and he knows the supply is almost depleted) will be jacking the price up to $500+. Call Jonh and get them while he has them. I just bought 3 more kits for myself based on this info. $200 is a great deal.
Who is the only supplier that will have any left?

benni72

my kit was missing the bolts as well. u bolts are a special size, believe me i searched and search endlessly. called TNJ and i had them the next day.

RAYZER

Installed one on my deuce tractor and my kit was missing u bolts also.
I found a good replacement for the stock u bolts were 3.25" muffler clamp u bolts,i used the cradle part of the clamp up against the cab for a spacer between the cab and pole ,otherwise the soft top will be pinched.
I also thought that that the beacon looked too tall, so i dropped the pole down and rotated it so that the beacon mount plate u bolt would't punch a hole in my new top.
I found a good place for a military style on off switch too.

Attachments

Ford Mechanic

Wires from the lights run down inside the poles. Ground lugs are affixed at the running board supports. Power wire runs along the frame on the driver's side, up the firewall, through an existing hole to a spot under the dash where you have mounted the switch (L-bracket is affixed to the bottom edge of the dash). Wire from switch goes back through the firewall down to the high/low beam switch where it connects into the system by means of a y-tap. You unplug the power feed to the dimmer switch and plug it into the y-tap, hook the line from the beacon switch into the -y-tap, and the jumper from the tap to the switch. The beacon can only operate when the service lights are on (by design).

I'm doing this from memory, the plans are in the drawer next to me... But I've installed more than one set...

Good luck.
Thanks for this info!!! I just found out what my "mystery switch" was for! I just checked out the wiring last night and it's spot on for your description. Mabey I can repurpose these wires for other lights......

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The earlier U-bolts had flat spots on the inside of them. The current ones are just regular U-bolts. The switch is on the right side of the steering column. The directions are vague at best. They are easy to do though, after you've done one set.:driver:

Wiring

I found that a chunk of heat shrink tubing does wonders for getting the wires up the poles and through the narrowed passage at the top end of the poles. Just carefully pull the wires through with another piece of wire and be sure to attach something so the other end of the coiled cord so it doesn't follow everything else up the tube.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks