• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Convoy to SteelSoliders Georgia Event in October

AMGeneral

Ok,Just thought I would throw this out for all the people that are going to the GA rally that are convoying from SC in Oct,This is what I have planned timewise so far( this is just a rough plan,times and meeting points can be adjusted as needed) but here goes....

Meet Rebel pride and Russ on Friday Oct 24th on I-77, exit 79(Dave Lyle Blvd) at 0730,meet and greet for a few minutes,then head out at about 0740.

Drive south on I-77 to exit 34(Ridgeway) to meet Adam(Ferro) and Joe trapp at about 0830.

Stay on I-77 S to exit 18 and proceed west on I-20 to exit 55 to meet JWaller and Mike at a small truck stop located there,then proceed west on I-20 twards Augusta hopefully arriving at Union Point (depending on traffic and construction) possibly as early as 1130 but possibly later.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Waller is going to have some company from the Columbia area, as I plan on pulling the MKT with either the M109A3 or the M35A2 and setting it up as a display (I scorch water when trying to boil it, so cooking is out). If I get the 109 checked out, I'll 'camp out' in it. Several of the MVCSC fellas have also expressed an interest in coming for the event - I've prepared a four page handout to pass out at the next meeting we have. BTW, it's 54 miles from the Savannah River to the exit where we get off I-20, so an hour and a half will not be enough time from Lexington to Durhamtown - I'd estimate more like 2.5 to three hours (at 50 MPH). JM2C.

Convoy from the West

Rod,
If you depart Anniston approx. 05:00 CST, I estimate Georgia Six Flages area at approx. 08:00 EST. That is allowing for an average speed of 40 MPH and that will be hard to do in Atlanta traffic, also considering that you will be right in the middle of rush (parking) hours.
We will have another minimum of 2 hours to cross Atlanta and get on the East side near the rally point.
Do you want to consider starting later and being behind traffic? Hitting Atlanta at 09:30 it runs fairly well. Or earlier and beating the rush?
I am not sure how many MV's and or Civies may run with us from the Powder Springs/ Kennesaw area.
Just some thoughts. Now is the time to plan, the 2-1/2s amd 5's need lots of room expecially those of us pulling trailers, that may limit our slelction of breakfast locations.

Squirt-Truck

Green_gator

RE: Convoy from the West

Atlanta rush hour and a convoy of 2-1/2 and 5 tons with trailers. If my memory is correct the HOV lanes allow for alternative fuel vehicles......

Capt.Marion

Re: RE: Convoy from the West

Green_gator said:
Atlanta rush hour and a convoy of 2-1/2 and 5 tons with trailers. If my memory is correct the HOV lanes allow for alternative fuel vehicles......
NO. You're screwed in the HOV lane. You're perfectly legal, but you need to be able to maintain at least 60-70 mph. And not just downhill coasting.

Rush hour is approx 1500-1900 hours. 1500 is when schools start getting out, and you have the looney soccer moms in their SUVs, and on through 1900 is more school and folks getting off work. 2000 and later you should be fine. They'll also be done with any construction they may be doing.

Check http://www.wsbtv.com/traffic/index.html for traffic and construction conditions, as well as live DOT-camera feeds from the interstates and highways in the metro area.

Blythewoodjoe

RE: Re: RE: Convoy from the West

Gentlemen, I hope to meet up with you guys as you leave Ridgeway. I will be in my civilian pickup with my CBC in tow. I will have a 4 year old girl with me so you all will have to behave. I hope I will be good with my work so taking Friday off will not be a problem.

Joe Trapp
Blythewood, SC

AMGeneral

That's great Joe,I may have a change in meeting times as I may be leaving from Rock Hill on Fri morning instead of Morganton.I will post here if it works out that I leave from there instead of here.

As it looks so far I'll be driving the M54A1 I got from Bragg,it seems to be the logical choice for now.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, Brandon, any update on the towbar pick-up, did you work something out with kipman to haul them to the rally?
If you do come by, I may have a few other items, to bring down if there is an interest. How about jerry can insulators (jackets?), NOS, $25/ea? Got two of them. They cost almost as much to ship, so....

joeM62

i wonder if anybody is bringing a wrecker? AMG you not bringing M62 to the rally. looks like i will be taging along with a few others to the rally, this ot to be fun for a newbie like me to the rally.

bkwudzhom

Those of u travelling down I-20---There is construction in the Augusta area and the traffic can suck at times to say the least. Becarefull and watch for motorist that cant keep up with the constant exit and lane changes!
Jody

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drivers from Atlanta and points west. The last rest stop on your eastward journey is at mile marker 103. I'll be posting some pics from my recent trip to Eglin on what I saw at this stop, on it's way overseas. Those folks westbound have the last rest area right at the GA border - welcome station about mile marker 201. Hope to see you there!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Since I have Friday off I am planning to leave the Base Camp around 8 CST and head for Temple, GA, on I-20.
There is a Flying J truck stop there and it would be a good staging area for the assault on Atlanta traffic.
I think Freightrain will be joiining me and maybe Offy.
I have a "CONVOY AHEAD" sign that we can post on the rear vehicle.
If we left Temple around 10 am we would miss the worse of Atlanta morning traffic.
I will be carrying extra fuel, spare parts, slave cables, and plenty of tools.
Anyone interested in joining PM me or post on this thread.

AMGeneral

Ok,I re edited the above time and meeting schedule,Please PM or post about any changes that are needed or time adjustments as well as construction delays possible.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks