• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

COOL! I found a really goood mix for WVO fuel

Dirigo

ATF, is that automotive transmission fluid or aviation turbine fuel?

what do you get for MPG? what does it cost per gallon?

vbrescueman

Hey guys... Has anybody tried this in a deuce yet? I am going to make my deuce a primary vehicle as I had a small engine fire in my olds... :shock: oops. and My neighbor cracked the block in my 74 datsun aua . I'm running out of vehicles fast! Anyhow... I've used DSE mix in the deuce and it worked well.This just sounds much easier. :)

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Off topic a little here, I use acetone in my truck, and have been for over a year. buy it by the gallon at TSC. Truck is a 93 chevy, 3/4 ton, 4x4, ext cab, 350 engine, and manual tranny. Weighs 5000 lbs. When I bought the truck 3 years ago, best milage I got was 14 hwy and 12 town. After synthic fluids in the tranny and rear end, K+N filter, and cat-back exhaust, I got 15 hwy and 13 town. With the acetone and being nice to the gas pedal, I now get 18 hwy, and 15 in town. I use 3 ounces per 10 gallons, and check milage at every fillup. Very happy with the acetone, barely have to touch the gas to maintain 60 mph. When out on the interstate I run 75 mph. Not bad for an old 150,000 mile truck.
Dennis

Last edited:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
reblawyer,
Direct all your questions to Cranetruck (Bjorn) as he is our resident WVO guru.

A search using 'biodiesel' in the search line will net you several threads, almost all of them by Cranetruck. He's DA MAN when it comes to running a multi on straight WVO.

His set up is quite complex, but I think he likes to just impress all us dummies with his abilities to fab up working systems. I know it would take an engineer to start his vehicle if you didn't know EXACTLY how to do it.

And Bjorn also writes for Military Vehicle Magazine. I think I saw his biodiesel article in the last one I picked up off the rack several months ago.

vbrescueman

Has anyone heard from the good Dr. lately? Still curious if anyone has tried this out yet. Just changed all filters and flushed fuel tank on Deuce as I was in a hurry and didn't properly filter my WVO :oops: :cookoo: ...what a mess

jwaller

I regularly use WVO, ATF, WMO(waste motor oil) and anything I can get my hands on. I use a 5 micron filter to run everything thru before it goes into the truck. keep my mixes at about 50% to diesel and the thing drives awesome. I do notice a slight reduction in power when on ATF and WMO but it's not much.

filter it good and pour in free fuel. I ask all my buddies for their old oil products and it keeps me on the road without spending my $ on Arab oil.

poppop

Anyone got any results on this yet?? I am very interested as I am part owner of a cotton gin and we are going next week to look at equipment to squeeze the oil from our cotton seed. We plan to use the oil to replace the LP gas dryers at the gin and furnish the balance to our farmer stockholders. We don't want to make bio-diesel and have been thinking about heating systems to heat the oil on our tractors. My main concern with the heaters is what if an employee forgets to switch back to diesel before shutting down for the day. It would be much simplier to blend something with the oil to thin it down. Thanks for any information>

Somemedic

Gentlemen...

You have my attention. As I write the gas station down the street is offering diesel for a mere $2.89. Its almost a full dollar cheaper than RUG but still a load of crap. My daily driver is a CUCV with the standard 6.2. I assume that running the Doctors mix thru my IP would be a bad idea. Since the weather is warm here inNW Indiana I would verymuch like to know what I could run in the way of a VO blend. Any ideas?

5tonpuller

Ok here it goes.
I made some of this up.
Tell me what you all think.
I got the fuel filters (the primary and secondary) filter housings from a parts truck. I had an old calcium tire pump.
I run it throw a trans. cooler over an old grill burner to warm it up to about 120-130deg.
Then toss the valve and run the warm VO throw the filters. (Warm oil filters better then cold and faster) I let it run for about an hour to warm it up then for another hour on filters. It takes about a min. to pump a gallon. I have 45 gals.
I did up 10 gals. And added the right amount of naphtha. (Doing a small batch first)
Tomorrow I will get 10 gals of diesel and mix the two. Then this weekend is TEST DAY.
(I hope to anyway)
More later.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like your setup there 5ton. How much fuel does the burner use to heat the fuel for filtering?
I'm planning on making a solar heater for filtering my UMO. I got the idea from a solar water heater article i found. Since i don't filter oil every day it will have time to warm in the texas sun. Saving me even more time/money.

5tonpuller

Ken,
I run the heat for about 2 hours. The bottle seemed as heavy as before SO I'm guessing not
much.
AS for the rest of the story !!
Made up a small batch of 50-50. Used it in a old fuel burner from a oil heater. WELL
It fired up !! When the can got low I added 100% WVO ( the mixxed stuff ) and I have a
inferred thermo thing and it was 15-20 hotter then 100% fuel oil. When I get my pickups torque converter seal finished I will try about 10 gals. in the truck. My $0.05 worth.
More to follow. :twisted: :evil: 8)

dabtl

A word of caution for you guys. If you are ever checked by the state for fuel type, they will attempt to attribute some form of mileage claim for unpaid motor vehicle tax on fuel.

Before diesel was colored for off road use, they would require you to show proof of purchase of road fuel and if you did not, they simply stuck you with an estimated tax.

I was never able to win one of those showdowns with one of of my clients. YMMV

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
dabtl said:
I was never able to win one of those showdowns with one of of my clients. YMMV
Have you tried to use the "additive" approach, you are permitted to use additives as long as it's not 100% in my understanding.
Biodiesel can pe purchased and it's probably a good idea to buy some now and then just to be able to show a receipt.

Veggie oil added to the low low supfur diesel is a good hedge against wear with the lubricity provided.

Adding biodiesel will also reduce exhaust emissions, because of its oxygen content (=more complete combustion).
I'm no expert, it takes a chemical engineer to discuss these things in depth....anyway, more info to google, right.

5-ton, nice filtering set-up, you may have licked the messiest part of doing WVO/BIO. :)

dabtl

You do not use 500 gallons of additives without a fuel purchase. Those are unsettling prospects at best when confronted by the tax man.

I doubt our annual fuel usage would exceed 500 gallons, anyway. Used mostly in parades or just running it about to keep it from falling apart from sitting is the major 'use' for ours. In short a toy. Big, but still a toy. It is hardly worth the time to locate the various 'additives.'

5tonpuller

Last year I put about 600 miles on the truck last year. I think 3 times that in crane use. With the price of fuel and work load I dont get time to cruze like I used to. I do not use it for a full time job cause then for sure I would get into a pinch. When it comes to road tax ( those that are owner opps. know what I'm saying ) these guys do not take to jokes. Ever see what they do to some one who did not pay his sales tax? WOW
:( I am sure that road tax would not be any different. Unless you really pi** them off I think they would not bother you. OR hauling a house on it's back. My $0.05 worth.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks