• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coolant Filter Yes or No

twisted60

Any one tried to mount a coolant filter in their HMMWV ? I search but many find for the 5 tons filters, was wondering if it's possible and if it's worth it.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure where you would mount it? Kind of tight in there unlike a 5 ton.

I would say not necessary as long as the system has been thoroughly flushed including heater core and overflow bottle to remove all the crud; then properly refilled with fresh coolant. At least that is what I did and was amazed all the crud that came out. I think the radiator lying down at an angle, traps sediment but just my opinion with no holiday inn express backup ;-)

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm with Juan, If you flush and clean. Then replace with good quality coolant and distilled water every couple years, you should be good. Yes some times casting sand lingers around in the block. But that usually ends up laying at the bottom of the rad.

twisted60

So Flush, Chemical or plain water ? Have not flushed my 5 ton yet, just drained and serviced with fresh Antifreeze. Guess I'll just do the drain and service on my HMMWV when it is freed from the EUC prison and in my hands.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So Flush, Chemical or plain water ? Have not flushed my 5 ton yet, just drained and serviced with fresh Antifreeze. Guess I'll just do the drain and service on my HMMWV when it is freed from the EUC prison and in my hands.
I would strongly advise you to do it on the 5 ton. My truck was incredibly crudy and I could not believe how much brown sludge came out. Even after flushing, I added a coolant filter and change it every year or so. I cut them up and still find brown sludge in the paper pleats. I use a filter with the DCA chemical impregnated into it for slow release. Check out my thread for pics on my coolant install and cut up filter. Juan's m923

Sintorion

It is a sealed system that should have no exposure to contaminants. If there is something contaminating your coolant, a filter is the least of your concern. Flushing is always a debate. There is no real easy way to flush your cooling system and when you change your coolant, you are only changing part of it. Typically you will have many other more logical failures before you will ever see a coolant related failure.

Carrera911

The coolant in the tank on my truck always looked nice and green. When I pulled off a dry rotted hose to replace it, the water inside was surprisingly rusty. I drained it using the petcock and left it open with a water hose flowing into the coolant tank. Leave the heater valve on. I started the truck and let it run for half an hour, keeping an eye on the level and coolant temp. Filled with 50/50 distilled water and universal green coolant with a bottle of water wetter. These trucks tend to run hot and it’s definitely a good idea to have a clean coolant system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had discovered a drip of coolant on my '93 M998 A0. It was from the larger of the rear hoses on the lower unit where the drain is. The hose is tight as heck so I moved the pipe clamp 1/8 of an inch up and solved that leak...

I did a drain, added distilled water and two bottles of thermocure to dissolve any rust on a Thursday. With thermocure in, I ran it to 210F-220F for 20-30 minutes that night. Let it sit 24 hours, re-ran it up to full temp again on Friday. Let it sit the weekend, Monday evening I drained it, filled with water and ran to temp. Tuesday I did a few water flushes without running the temp up. A week later I drained a gallon of water to put in coolant to just give me a touch of protection because it would be two weeks before I put in a block heater and we had a cold snap coming. Well when I drained a gallon and put in AF and ran it up to temp, after it got up to temp the coolant started draining out around the waterpump.

I was planning on doing the thermometer, and overfill tank cap when I did the block heater. So it's cool in that thermocure showed me that I had a lingering issue with the water pump. Now I just need to wait till my week off for deer hunting at my friend's place with a lift so I can do the full cooling service.

My only question is, what about the plate behind the waterpump? I have a gasket for it, but could it be rusted / roached too?
What is the part number? I looked through the 24P-1 and could not find the part called out. It's only shown on the diagram for the water pump in the dotted line form....

But in the end I am not going to put in a coolant filter. Just keep track in my log of when and what I did and also set a reminder in my phone calendar for in 5 years to flush and replace.

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last night, I drained the radiator. Orangish and rusty. I'm figuring two or more flushes to get it clean.

I did this primarily to install the coolant kit that Derek sells but getting out the rust out is now a priority. Scope creep I guess.

papakb

The coolant filter mounts on the airlift bracket in the right front corner of the engine compartment. It's not difficult to do but I'd suggest you change your fuel pump before doing it because afterwards it's a real PITA.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The coolant filter mounts on the airlift bracket in the right front corner of the engine compartment. It's not difficult to do but I'd suggest you change your fuel pump before doing it because afterwards it's a real PITA.
Could you post pic of this set up as I would like to see how it is done. R&D ( Rip off & Duplicate)

Action

It seems like you would have to change that filter a lot with the little crusty piece in the coolant. What happens when it clogs and you don't change it?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The one I have used on my 5 ton has a spin on base and acts just like an oil filter. If it were to get clogged, there is a spring & bypass relief valve. There is a lot of surface area on those paper pleats. System would have to be pure mud to clog up a filter. In the HD world, once a year is average to change the spin on. They come with or without the chemical additive.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Any one tried to mount a coolant filter in their HMMWV ? I search but many find for the 5 tons filters, was wondering if it's possible and if it's worth it.
Put a coolant filter. Yes it is worth it. Are you going to keep the truck or NOT?
You will see when you cut the old filter apart and examine the crap filtered out.
Installation of a coolant filter is a decision. Protect your equipment.

big block 88

Hey fellas not a humvee owner but after working on deuces and 5 tons for years here at the house (im by no means a professional mechanic) but it doesnt matter how many times i flush these trucks it is always bad. I have run a coolant filter now for about 150 hours on my personal 925a1 and im just now starting to see the coolant stay clean. I have a filter off right now and will cut it apart if anyone is interested in what these filters can pull from the system. I run a balwin spin on base with a bypass. I have never seen it run in bypass and my first filter was over 50% full of sludge.

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey fellas not a humvee owner but after working on deuces and 5 tons for years here at the house (im by no means a professional mechanic) but it doesnt matter how many times i flush these trucks it is always bad. I have run a coolant filter now for about 150 hours on my personal 925a1 and im just now starting to see the coolant stay clean. I have a filter off right now and will cut it apart if anyone is interested in what these filters can pull from the system. I run a balwin spin on base with a bypass. I have never seen it run in bypass and my first filter was over 50% full of sludge.
That is an oil filter for common ford applications not a coolant filter! Wrong media/paper. Also wrong size threads on base!
Coolant filters use 11/16-16

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks