• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coolant spraying out

cucvrus

Worse case scenario is you break it. But it needs to come out of there. If it fails when assembled. How will you get it out? See my point? Keep spraying it with PB blaster or something. I think it will come out. when you put it back in apply some never seize on the shaft that goes into the block. Merry Christmas.

TedO

Worse case scenario is you break it. But it needs to come out of there. If it fails when assembled. How will you get it out? See my point? Keep spraying it with PB blaster or something. I think it will come out. when you put it back in apply some never seize on the shaft that goes into the block. Merry Christmas.
I got the vacuum pump loose. If I remove it, will the orientation get messesd up?

I was able to salvage my hose clamp.
Merry Christmas!.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's no orientation. It engages into the oil pump and the cam gear. It can be indexed infinitely.

cucvrus

Did you get the vacuum pump out yet? And when you put it back in you can just drop it in that hole anywhere. You will still need to turn so the diaphragm does not touch anything. And with it against the firewall or close it can make a strange sound. But turn the crankshaft and it will pull it down in position. It has curved gears and cranking the engine over will seat it properly. Please use another gasket or some Permatex The Right Stuff works just as good. When you have the heads off is also a good time to change the motor mounts and the rear main seal if you have not done so already. Well you have a full plate and enjoy the holidays. Merry Christmas. Good Luck on your project.

TedO

Did you get the vacuum pump out yet? And when you put it back in you can just drop it in that hole anywhere. You will still need to turn so the diaphragm does not touch anything. And with it against the firewall or close it can make a strange sound. But turn the crankshaft and it will pull it down in position. It has curved gears and cranking the engine over will seat it properly. Please use another gasket or some Permatex The Right Stuff works just as good. When you have the heads off is also a good time to change the motor mounts and the rear main seal if you have not done so already. Well you have a full plate and enjoy the holidays. Merry Christmas. Good Luck on your project.

Yes, got the pump out.
Is it possible to turn the engine without removing injectors? Do I need to turn it in a particular direction?

TedO

Hello. Happy New Year. I got the heads back from the shop. The guy told me I need to use a thicker head gasket because he shaved the heads. The number he gave me is OReilly 9128 PT. Does this sound right?

cucvrus

I don't know. I never used any thicker head gaskets. I have used head savers on forklift engines in the past. but I have not had favorable results. I opt to get another head in lieu of the head saver shim and gaskets. Never heard of a thicker head gasket for any 6.2. I don't know it all so someone else may of heard of that.

TedO

I don't know. I never used any thicker head gaskets. I have used head savers on forklift engines in the past. but I have not had favorable results. I opt to get another head in lieu of the head saver shim and gaskets. Never heard of a thicker head gasket for any 6.2. I don't know it all so someone else may of heard of that.

Found it on another post. 9128PT is the .010 over Felpro head gasket that you use if he heads have been shaved. My heads were shaved.

TedO

Hello, finally got my truck back on the road. Machining the heads cost me $500. I probably should have gone with 2 new heads for $1000 on ebay. I guess I will soon find out. Thanks for all of your help. Next time should be a breeze..

By the way, I found a piece of grounding braid hanging out of the firewall. I assume this used to be connected to the same lug on the intake manifold that the other grounds are attached to. Was this for radio equipment? Should this be replaced?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes you should replace it. It is the ground for your 12V side. You have other grounds also but they may give up if carrying too many amps.

cucvrus

It is just a ground. Any cable wire would serve the same purpose. Hey glad to hear you have the old truck up and running again. It gives a good feeling when you go thru all that and have it back again. I went thru 4 sets of heads to find 1 good set. This time around I paid $650. to have them redone. Oh well it is less then a $1K. I think the whole engine job I have less then a $1K in. Good luck. I have replaced lighter wires with cables on many vehicles and nut and bolted the cable to the sheet metal with star washers between the plies. Have a great day. Never heard of excessive grounding being an issue.

Last edited: