• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CORRECT ALTERNATOR 4 A M1008?..

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey Guys,
I bought a Alternator/Generator for my M1008 and I think its for the drivers side. *URG* I need the passenger's side. It did not have passengers side alternator when i got it. the Serial number on the side is
11055000G
NSN # 2920-01-149-8606
Picture below..Sorry, i should have taken a pic of the other side.
I want to hook the wires up correctly. I have 2 wires and a plug. The plug is obvious where it goes.
1 Red wire has another attached to it. I think it the Positive + side
The other wire is also red, which i dont think is negative. The back of my altinator has a large + bolt and a smaller black rubber cap on a black terminal that looks like a 'stud' then there is a negative terminal with a nut and tag that says its negative.
Hope someone can understand what i got..or dont have...
THANKS! Kevin In maryland.

:EDIT by ccatlett1984, I changed the title to alternator to help with searching.

Attachments

ida34

They are both the same but you can use a none isolated ground in place of one of them. I think the Driver's side can be the civy non isolated ground alt.

ida34

Should be standard GM 100 amp alt. Most of the like amp models are the same except for the "clock position". In other words, look at the above pics. See the side the plug goes into. It can be changed around to face any of the other three ways. It is pretty easy to do but I am pretty sure you just ask for a 100 amp alt from the same year truck or blazer. You got one going bad rizzo? Clocking the alt requires taking the four 5/16 bolts out then turning the back half around to point the way you need it while holding the front stationary. You have to pull them apart a small amount. If you pull it too far the brushes will come out. You then need to push them back in and use a paperclip to hold them in while you put it back together. When I worked as a parts manager for Murray's a couple of decades ago we used to reclock an alt when we were out of stock on the one they needed. Faster than waiting on the part to come special order.

I almost forgot. The 100 amp is not standard. It will be the biggest that GM will put in the truck so be sure you ask for the 100 amp model. the case for some of the smaller amp models are the same but the 100 amp is bigger and it must be a 100 amp model. The 100 should be stamped into the thick mounting side of the case.

ida34

Disregard the clocking part. This can't be done with the alt pictured above. It may be the 100 amp case. The smaller cases can be reclocked.

acetomatoco

you can take the std 100 amp alt and have the local gen/start guy isolate the ground to a stud and then it is compatible with both positions on the CUCV. Remember that these are 12 volt units and attach the wires to run them in series for 24 volts... The manuals have wiring diagrams.. RAM (cost of mod is about $30)

ida34

They are not really run in series. One charges the front battery and the other charges the back battery. The batteries run in series provides the 24 volts but the alts are not run in series.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chuck, I'm not a huge tech guy when it comes to the CUCV but I always thought that the alts were in series of sorts. The drivers alt charges one battery and also provides 12V to the isolated ground of the pass alt. That would make the pass alt output 28V if its working right and then would charge both batteries together. That was always my understanding of previous.

ida34

It is complicated but the isolated ground connects to the negative side of the rear battery which connects to the pos side of the system that gets output from the alt not using the isolated ground. The current does not run from the one alt though the other to provide 28 volts to charge both batteries. The 28 volts comes from the two batteries showing 14 volts each from the individual alts. The isolated ground just provides a path to the negative on the rear battery. I supposes one could call the alts as being in series but it is a byproduct of putting the batteries in series. As far as I have seen in my research of the subject the isolated ground alt will not and does not charge both batteries. It just charges the rear battery. If it did charge 28 volts then we would see the problems with unequal battery charging because the front battery is almost always at a lower voltage than the rear battery since the front provides power for the whole truck and the rear only provides power glow plugs and the starter. The batteries are constantly unbalanced unlike the deuce batteries. I hope this is making sense to you guys.

ida34

The manual does show that the isolated ground as charging both batteries but is also excludes one of the connections for alt. It only shows four connections when there is 5 connections. Maybe I am arguing semantics here. The connections for the batteries are direct series while the left alt connects to the terminal point on the firewall for 12 volt and the negative side of the right alt connects to the 12 volt source on the firewall also. No matter what to make the right charge the rear it has to be connected to the neg side of the rear battery which connects to the pos side of the front battery. I guess one could call the alts in series but if this it was the intention of the designers to create 28 volts to charge both batteries then the pass side battery would not need to be connected to front battery at all. The connection would just lead from the pos of the one alt to the neg side of the other alt then the 12 volt side would just tap off the front battery with no connection to the charge connection on the driver's side alt. I think this would give us an over charged rear battery since they charging would come from the alts in series only and there is an uneven load between the front and the rear batteries. This is why I say they are not in series. I still think of it as the batts in series with the alts charging each one separately but I could see how someone could see it another way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks