• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Correct M37 Engine Color???

70deuce

What is the correct M37 engine color?? Matching era OD green, a gray or a blue I have seen on some motors?? The one in my truck that is being rebuilt had some blue on it.

Mike_L

So what is everyone using to match these colors? All I can find in the parts stores for engine paint is aluminum silver. Does this match up OK? Looks a little dull to me, more aluminum than silver (without going out and looking, I think it is Plasti-Cote brand). Thought it should be more silver. Probably close enough but I was just curious what everyone is using.

70deuce

Ya you can't go wrong with good old OD when it looks like Bill W's but the light gray color would look pretty good also I think.

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
The Air Force tech order specifies that when it's necessary to repaint an engine (i.e. after rebuild or major overhaul) it is to be painted gray. Therefore, if you have an AF truck, the engine should be either original Chrysler silver or gray. (Ford tractor gray is the closest commercially available shade.)

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is red, Or used to be red it's faded and flaked off. Another M37 at the museum also has a red engine block. We started repainting parts on the engine as we pulled them off and repaired/replaced them. I hope we arn't using the wrong color!

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Mine is light gray with black accents like the oil filter housing ,etc. I got my paint from Napa and it has done real real well. That darn exaust manifold I cant say much about:roll:. - Jay

I cant wait to see it Phil , the last time I was at your house most of the truck was in peices.

simbalion

My M-37 engine is blue, but parts like the oil filter housing and I think the air cleaner are all OD. Previous owner thought it was a swapped 217, but I found T245 on the block which indicates the 230. Has the oil pressure and compression of a rebuilt engine. Healthiest 230 I've ever had. Oh, the original 24 volt generator on it is also blue looking. 2cents

colbanister

Mine is also blue but the truck appears to be origionally O.D. If the Airforce Reg said gray then where would the blue have came from? I thought maybe it was done after leaving the military but if other people are reporting that theirs was blue also when was this done? Also where do you get OD paint for the engine that withstands the heat?:-?

Capt.Marion

The only part of the engine that needs heat resistant paint is the exhaust manifold. The engine block and the cylinder head won't get that hot.

Bill W

:ditto:

I painted my 37 engine with gillespie ( & synthetic hardner) and the only peeling I had was on the intake manifold where it bolts up to the exhaust manifold and I also noticed a little color fade on the stat housing

simbalion

My truck appears to have been OD originally. Though it does have something like 7 layers of peeling paint on it! Previous owner stripped the paint on the one fender and once it got down to the original OD the stripper wouldn't work anymore. Under that is some black looking primer. Could be mine blew an engine in its life and a blue Air Force one was dropped in from surplus.