• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cost of Water fording

Csm Davis

Looking at getting a real world price if I drive a 939 truck to a shop and have all the fluids and filters changed and bearings repacked. So I already know 200 for oil change on the engine. Anybody got shop prices for transmission, transfer case, axles oil change the full grease job on bearings and all perks. Also fuel filters and air filter. Reason I want prices is because when we get back from Houston I won't feel like doing it and will probably just ride up to a shop and get it done. Thanks for any real world pricing, also if anyone sells a complete filter kit for a 250 and 8.3L tell me who as we will be needing both.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TexAndy

csm davis... which direction did you go into houston from? Friend of mine northeast of Houston (dayton/liberty area) wants to buy one of mine. But I'm looking at the traffic and weather wherever I can... and I think I would just hit roadblocks right about the time I reached houston from 59

How hard of a time did you have getting in? And which part? I'm trying to gauge if driving up there is a suicide mission or not at this point or if it will be any better tomorrow.

Parts of both I-10 and sam houston tollway appear to be close on the north and east side of the city.

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little off topic, but in my younger years I had a lot of experience playing in the water. The obvious things are to seal everything as best possible, run vents up high, but no matter how many tricks you use, your still going to get water in everything.
One fairly easy often overlooked thing to "help" slow damage/cost down, when you want to run as long as possible before a complete re-lube, is to crack the drain plugs loose and drain the separated water off the bottom of everything, first thing each morning before heading back out, especially the engine and auto transmission.

Be safe, and thanks for all you all are doing!

Csm Davis

Te they will probably flag you through most road blocks that will have only light flooding but you will be asked and asking lots of questions about how to get into where you are going. We have not left yet because of some factors out of my control but we will be given a route in and out when we go. Past experience says go easy until you know how and where is safe. You can get in over your head quickly, pun intended. If you don't have experience in emergency situations and deep water I would recommend staying out.

Last edited:

check58

My understanding from MEMA, is that only 20 requests for outside aid have been sent from the State of Texas EMA. All of which have been covered. As a certified emergency manger, I caution anyone from self deploying. I realize and applaud the eagerness to help, but without coordination, helpers can quickly become hindrances. I can remember from my time on the coast, we had to handle the people that got around the roadblocks and such, trying to help. Unfortunately they became hindrances, as we had no additional fuel to provide them with, and we had to feed the majority of them; taking our already thin supply line and adding more pressure. Again I don't fault anyone from wanting to help, its a great quality; but please understand the consequences.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Long term logistical support for volunteers is a valid concern, but not all requests or contracts for outside assistance go through state agencies.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't let them forget the trunnion bearings Jeff. Everybody forgets those. Water gets in but can't get out unless the grease fittings and caps are pulled. Stay safe.

red

Looking at getting a real world price if I drive a 939 truck to a shop and have all the fluids and filters changed and bearings repacked. So I already know 200 for oil change on the engine. Anybody got shop prices for transmission, transfer case, axles oil change the full grease job on bearings and all perks. Also fuel filters and air filter. Reason I want prices is because when we get back from Houston I won't feel like doing it and will probably just ride up to a shop and get it done. Thanks for any real world pricing, also if anyone sells a complete filter kit for a 250 and 8.3L tell me who as we will be needing both.

The hub work is expensive. Shop quoted me $4,000 to service all 6 hubs.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Just got off the phone with the Harris County Sheriff office, ( Houston) and they are only wanting air boats, they have enough trucks, boats and jet ski's. If you need the ph# email me.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like they need DUKW's!
I wonder how many Ride the Ducks have, that could be shipped to Texas in less than 24 hrs? Wouldn't that be some good PR...

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Just watched a video that showed several 5 tons under water. They belong to Harris County. Someone made a grave error in judgement in taking them into very high water. My guess is that they are hydro locked and ruined. Prob be on sale in a few months on one of the auction sites.

PureMayhem

Anybody know anyone with a LARC-V. They would be even better than DUKW in this situation. The only one I know of is in Poison, Montana. The owner would bring it to Texas but the flooding would probably be over by the time he could get it there, and then there is the $8k in transport costs 1 way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks