• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cracked my trucks bumper markings

Coal Cracker

PA Army National Guard 28th Infantry Division, 228th Brigade Support Battalion, B Company #21. You should not think this as the 21st truck in the unit. That's not how it works. Bumper numbers work off an age old system
1 or 10's usually mean the S-1 Personnel officer
2 or 20's usually mean S-2 Intell officer
3 or 30's operations
4 or 40's logistics
5 or 50's 1SG/SGM
6 or 60's Commander
7 or 70's XO

HQ6 is usally the Commanders vehicle. HQ66 is usually an alternate vehicle for the Commander. In Germany my battalion commander had HQ6, HQ66, HQ66A, and HQ66b. A M998, a M1 Abrams, a M113, and a M577.

The two different town location is the diffferent companies. The HQ is located in the one and B Co in the other.

Carnac, thanks for your help!!!

I've searched my brains out, and your info. just put it all in line for me, with your input I,ve found my truck came from Bravo Company 228th BSB Out of Scranton, pa., seems to be a maintenece outfit.
It would figure to, as my truck was PM'd up the wahoo before I got it.
So B-21, would be B company Intelligence Officer Pay Grade S-2?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Carnac, thanks for your help!!!

I've searched my brains out, and your info. just put it all in line for me, with your input I,ve found my truck came from Bravo Company 228th BSB Out of Scranton, pa., seems to be a maintenece outfit.
It would figure to, as my truck was PM'd up the wahoo before I got it.
So B-21, would be B company Intelligence Officer Pay Grade S-2?
Actually that would be at Battalion or higher for the intell officer. In your case, yes they are a maintenance unit. 2nd platoon vehicle 1 or maybe first section since they probably don't go by squads in that type of unit. Don't have a lot of experience in the BSB unit. The platoon leader would be 26. Platoon sergeant 25.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
My front bumper shows.Pass.side WVARNG. Drivers side E-27.:beer:

Actual Air National Guard would be ANG
Army National Guard is ARNG

The E could mean one of several options. There could be something else on the side of the bumper with the WVARNG.

It could be from one of several engineer companies that are in the WVARNG. It could also be from Special Operations Detachment E. Take a look at the WVARNG website. It might be helpful in determining it.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
i tried.....but i fail at search

pass side
36 c1/141
there is a black square after the 36

driver side
c-20

truck was out of tx
36th Infantry Division TX ARNG a modular division
1st Battalion, 141st Infantry Regiment (Mechanized)
C Company out of Eagle Pass and Hondo TX

Did a thread awhile back about how folks screw up bumper numbers. For your vehicle, it would not be the correct method to put C1/141. It should have just been 1/141 I (letter I as in Infantry). The C for Charlie Company should have been left off the passenger side front and drivers side rear. The C Company would have been denoted on the other side of the bumper as in C-20.

I can recall seeing 3 or 4 different bumper type markings in the same company size unit. That's usually because the guy doing it just wants to get home or ain't the brightest bulb.

Last edited:

Billy Bobbed

Actual Air National Guard would be ANG
Army National Guard is ARNG

The E could mean one of several options. There could be something else on the side of the bumper with the WVARNG.

It could be from one of several engineer companies that are in the WVARNG. It could also be from Special Operations Detachment E. Take a look at the WVARNG website. It might be helpful in determining it.
I went out and looked on the pass. side again.They spray painted black paint over the other numbers.I cleaned the best I could and got. WVARNG 601E Driver side is E-27.The 601E was painted over.Im pretty sure thats the #s it still has paint on it.:beer:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I went out and looked on the pass. side again.They spray painted black paint over the other numbers.I cleaned the best I could and got. WVARNG 601E Driver side is E-27.The 601E was painted over.Im pretty sure thats the #s it still has paint on it.:beer:
Yes, the 601st Engineer Company is in Weston, WV near the geographical center of the state. Been there, seen that unit. It's right along I-79.

Here's a real hoot. I went to a Christmas Nutcracker ballet right near that building many years ago. Got coerced into going to support a business deal I was working. Talk about boring. Only really funny thing was there was a 40+ year old 200 pound balletrina. I think she ate too many of the sugar plumbs. LOL.

Friendly town though.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The info I got when Carnac ran my data plates was:
Organization:103RD CS BN CO B MAINT

Yet my bumper paint seems similar to others in this thread (images att'd)

Yep, if the unit fails to keep it up to date then you get old info.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Didn't think ya did. Was short on time and slapped it on there since some folks may misinterperet.

Brings up a good point, I'm fairly busy these days with work and stuff. Probably just like a bunch of others on here, if something hot happens, I cut and run from this website. Someimes that means the message that is left seems short or inpersonal. Not meant to be just the reality of some critical mass stuff. I would give a longer answer bu......

KyCUCVs

I was the Operations Sergeant Major for the 149th Brigade from August 2002 to September 2007 and know something of its history and organization. In the late 70’s, the 149th Brigade was organized as the 149th Separate Armor Brigade (SAB) under an MTOE similar to he 149th SAB located at Fort Knox, 20 mile south of Louisville.

The Brigade lost it’s Separate Brigade status in the 80’s and was organized as the 149th Brigade under an Infantry Brigade MTOE. It was assigned as a Brigade of the 35th Infantry Division, a Kansas National Guard unit and later, a brigade of the 38th Infantry Division of the Indiana National Guard. But because the 149th maintained command and control over three Armor Battalions, 1st, 2nd and 3rd Battalions of the 123rd Armor, everyone called it an Armor Brigade. The lone Infantry unit was 1st Battalion, 149th Infantry.

Over a period of time, Armor was reduced considerably in the Guard. The 50th Armored Division (Jersey Blues) in New Jersey was deactivated. Two of the three Armored Battalions in Kentucky were deactivated. The third was scheduled for reorganization. It’s hard to pass yourself off as an Armored Brigade with no armor under your control.

Around 2004, we started receiving message traffic that we would be reorganized as a Brigade Combat Team. We got pretty excited. Within a month, every office door in the armory was remarked 149th BCT. Most unit vehicles were remarked with BCT. Units under our control would have also been remarked with BCT. I personally remarked the bumper numbers on the M60A3 tank in front of the armory.

I’m not sure that the unit was ever officially reorganized under the Brigade Combat Team MTOE. I left the Brigade in November 2005 to deploy with the 198th MP Battalion to Afghanistan. They needed an Operations Sergeant and I hold an MP MOS. When I returned to the 149th Brigade in February 2007, they were still talking about BCT when the message traffic abruptly changed and indicated we would become a Maneuver Enhancement Brigade (MEB), whatever the heck that was. We learned that an MEB is a headquarters unit that provides Command and Control to Engineer, Chemical and Military Police Battalion. No combat arms.

I enter my retirement phase a few months later, so was kind of taken out of the loop. The MEB thing did happen. The remaining Armor Battalion in the state became a Brigade Support Battalion (BSB)

Greenjeepster: If you continue to sand your bumper, no telling what you may find. Vehicles are continually transferred around the state to improve readiness ratings. Also, at one time, the 1/149th Infantry was part of the 42nd Infantry Division (Rainbow) of the New York National Guard even though within the state, we were their higher headquarters.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks