• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Craigslist M1009 Deal and Recovery

I will check that engine out in the morning, I cleared out my bay so i can examine the engine clearer. I like the stainless injector lines, a lot better than my stock steel ones.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree, I did not get a chance today but in the morning I am dropping the cover on the converter.

Here are the pictures of the engine, I think its a 6.2 but the documents were missing from the container all I had was a shipping label when it was shipped from Quait. :???:
The engine is a GEP 6.5L setup. At least the valve cover is.

Look for the date code on the rear mounting flange. Shounld be some numbers followed by a letter. Also look for a LARGE 506 in the lifter valley.

But don't get too excited yet. You will need to do a compression test to see if you have a dead cylinder. Looking at the paint on the head at cylinder 3 and 5 the paint is bubbled.

I have one just like it but #3 cylinder has zero compression. I have not taken it apart to find out the issue.

Last edited:
Hopefully it will be an easy fix, my other M1009 is an electrical mess, I am close to fixing all its problems so my wife can use it and I will be driving my new toy !

If it is the engine, I hope this is a good 6.5 I will just have more fun converting it to a 6.5.

Its a lot better than my first GM diesel, the 5.7, what a pile of garbage that engine was.