• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cranetruck needs some help

jasonjc

OK here the last info on the cross county adventure he is broke down at the FLY "J" truck stop in Joplin MO. The IP pump has stated leaking real bad from a set screw? on the side of the hdy head. It seems to be coming from the treads around the screw. The screw itself has a hole in it. Appeas that it is made that way. We removed the hyd head and replaced the 2 o rings but that did not help any. Does any one have any ideas on what needs to be done. I spent most of the day up there with him today. But I have to work tomorrow. If all esles fails I will have to pull a pump off of my truck and take back up there to him.
The set screw can be seen in this pic right below the injector line and above the bolt above the safty wire.

Attachments

Alexander

Please let Bjorn know that if he were coming up through Omaha we would be honored to offer him hospitality, a place to stay, shop space to work on his truck, a place to store his truck until he could make arrangements, etc. I have a tremendous amount of admiration for his engineering like approach to our hobby and his writing skills.
Alex
402-312-5942

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Lacking my glasses, I am doing my best to visualize the source of the leak. As I recall there are six allen headed screws which are used to plug the holes created by the machining process needed to manufacture the hydraulic head. The passages behind these plugs are the high pressure fuel delivery ports. I don't know if there is an o-ring behind the allen screws, but I think not. Were the truck mine, at the injection nozzle I would remove the steel injection line running from above the offending set screw, and turn over the engine. This will a free flow of fuel without restriction by the nozzle. If the leak abates, I'd say the nozzle is clogged. If the leak persists, I'd then disconnect it at the hydraulic head, and turn the engine over again. Still checking for a restriction. Once the restriction is isolated, correct it. If no restriction is found (that is, leak persists), then I'd remove the set screw and replace it.

If the repair appears to be succesful, before buttoning things up make sure that there is no fuel leaking through the shutoff window area before heading down the road again.

If the nozzle is clogged, I would tend to suspect a fuel contamination problem.

Wish I was there, and wish I could see like I used to.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle
West Tennessee

Dieselsmoke

Hey, if he's at the Flyin' J in Joplin he needs to cruise over to 4state trucks about 5 exits down, I'm sure the Boyz can help him out. Might come out with a tricked out truck:) My grandpa used to live right next to Joplin, at least he's in a nice area. Wish I was closer to be able to help out, nothing worse than broke on the road.

eddiec

if the set screw you are reffering to is not the allen screws, and actually the bolt head set screw, tell him to turn the fuel pressure down a little while it is running, he should see the leak disapear. also let him know i will be going to buddy's on sunday, so i could pick him up a spare if he would like. if turning down the pres. does not help, have him call me.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanhs fellows! Great comfort to have you all on the list so near! Jason is a super star in my book, spent all day yesterday helping out,even had a overhaul kit for th pump.
Good to hear fromyou David Doyle, hope you are rcovering okay from your accident.

The engine has been running perfectly and after a two-hour drive from Jasons North to Joplin, MO it just decided to stop the moment I let off the accelerator. Engine played dead ever since.
Jason and i replaced the O-rings under the hydraulic head, the old onces were notaffected by the bio fuels, but slightly deformed and perhaps a bit harder. Anyway, it didn't help.
I'll clean up the work today and will try to follow David's advice.

Got lots of tools, and fresh batteries and broken down at a truckstop ain't all bad. :)

Update later.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The no-start situation is something that I did not pick up on upon reading the initial report above. As that is the case, I would amend my recommendation as follows. First, loosen/remove the offending line at the injector, which should be number 3. Also remove the large plug in the top center of the hydraulic head, and turn the engine over. Have a helper watch for the plunger beneath the large plug to move - if no helper is available, stand a stick up in the hole, and you can peer between the hood and cowl with the hood up and see if the stick "hops" up and down as the engine revolves (been there, done that - at a spot remarkably near where you are now).

As the engine was running 24 hours ago, if this plunger is not moving now this does no bode well. If that is the case, it may be possible to breath life back into this hydraulic head, it more likely that a hydraulic head replacement is in order....and given the circumstances of the failure in that case I'd replace the entire pump. Though I am several hundred miles away, and am in poor condition for manual labor, I can dispense advice for free :). If you wish to discuss this with me via telephone contact JAG.

Good luck!

David Doyle
West Tennessee

CGarbee

I have a line on a complete IP that I was going to snag for another buddy of mine, but if Bjorn needs it, I'll snag it and send it out to him... It is mounted on a M36 that I was "borrowing" parts from last Saturday (when I had my leak due to the broken line to cylinder #6).

Hate to hear that he is having problems, but am heartend to see the responses that he is getting (and that you, David, are online...).

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Checked the fuel flow from an open line (disconnected at the injector) and it's dismal, squirts maybe 3 inches at low pressure while cranking the engine. What are the symptoms of a cracked hydraulic head?
I'm going to assume that a new hydraulic head is needed and will go ahead and remove it again after trying David's plunger test.

It's possible that Jason Curtis can bring a replacement, but wouldn't know the condition of it....

Cabell, if you can ship the hydraulic head to the "Flying J" truck stop, I'll provide a shipping address a little later. It's located just off Rt71 near Joplin, MO. Funny, I just shipped one to Corne in Holland a couple of weeks ago, didn't think I would need one myself.

The internet service here has been on and off, so I'm not sure how soon I can come back with a nother update.

Thanks again!

CGarbee

Will have it (brand new head) overnighted this afternoon...

It's 2.18PM in Raleigh. I just overnighted by UPS. Should be at your location by 10:30AM your time. Called and left a message on your cell with the tracking number.
(since I don't think anyone would mind, and so everyone can view UPS' progress, here it is: 1ZE270490145103216). Please keep performance records on it once you get back on the road...

I'll have my buddy pull that entire injector pump off the spare truck in case you need it (I hope that the head solves the problem...).

Also: The new head is one that was provided by Charles Talbert of M Series Rebuild in Norwood, NC. It's been in Raleigh for a while waiting to be installed on a truck as part of a project that he and I have been working on, so give a lot of credit to him for allowing me to send it out west.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks a million Cabell! I or we (if Jason is able to drive up again tomorrow) will be ready for it and hopefully fire up the old multifuel again.

I suppose if I had bothered to investigate the fuel leak sooner, like weeks ago, this wouldn't have happened based on David's analysis of the order of events. Perhaps it will sink in this time.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I am very concerned that there is a problem with the number 3 injector, which could be the root cause of all these problems..the leaking hydraulic head being only a symptom. Were this one of my trucks, I would check the fuel flow to either five or six. If the fuel is flowing good to one of those, then I'd either route one of those lines to 3, or swap the injectors. If this causes the hydraulic head to spring a leak at the corresponding plug - then I'd know that I had a problem with number 3 injector (which is what I suspect), before installing, and possibly ruining, the new head.

Also, remember that American Bosch HD9070A hydraulic heads are prone to cracking between the delivery valve screw and the number 3 port - although from your description it sounds more like an overpressure situation is trying to force the plug out.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle
West Tennessee

jasonjc

Talk to Bjorn and I'm going back up to Joplin tomrrow to help him with the hdy head and am taking some injector also.just in case.
will let evey one now how it goes when I get back home. Will take some pic of him head down the road. :D

jasonjc

Spent all day at the Flying J with bjorn and no UPS I think there new saying needs to be "what brown CAN'T do for you"! aua
just checked the tracking number and it say that its on time to deliver 8/24/06. Well my calender must be broke. aua aua

mangus580

Looks like it never left Raliegh :-(

On Time

Scheduled Delivery: 08/24/2006
Shipped to: JOPLIN, MO, US
Shipped or Billed on: 08/23/2006

Tracking Number: 1Z E27 049 01 4510 321 6
Service Type: NEXT DAY AIR
Weight: 7.50 Lbs
Note: Your package is in the UPS system and is on time with a scheduled delivery date of 08/24/2006.

Package Progress:

Location.................Date............Local Time....Activity
RALEIGH, NC, US.....08/23/2006....6:13 P.M.....PICKUP SCAN
US...........................08/23/2006....5:34 P.M..... BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

Tracking results provided by UPS: 08/24/2006 9:42 P.M. Eastern Time (USA)

aua

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks