• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crappy Deuce story

bozozimbo

I had had my duece fo a little over a year....all this time my wife has been wondering "why". Yesterday I showed her and all is well in my world.

We recently moved to rural Utah after I retired. I bought an acre with no landscaping. Its almost spring here so I decided it was time to amend the soil and get some lawn growing .
If any of you guys have priced bagged mulch its usually 3-7 dollars a bag. I needed like 80 bags to do what I wanted to. Was really gonna cut into my fun money.
Coincidentally the city sent a flyer yesterday that the sewer plant was giving away treated dried humus.....all you could haul. This is the best stuff in the world for amending poor soils.....I know, I have a horticultural degree.
Anyway....I took the wife....and the duece and headed off to the sewer plant. The guys there got quite a kick out of the truck.
I got two loads.....five tons.....of processed poop. My wife saved several hundred dollars.......and she commented how cool it was that we had the "big truck" to haul it with.

Any volunteers to come help me rototill it in today ?

And yes......I washed my duece immediately after I unloaded it.

Jimbo

M35A2

Crappy duece story

bozozimbo said:
I had had my duece fo a little over a year....all this time my wife has been wondering "why". Yesterday I showed her and all is well in my world.

We recently moved to rural Utah after I retired. I bought an acre with no landscaping. Its almost spring here so I decided it was time to amend the soil and get some lawn growing .
If any of you guys have priced bagged mulch its usually 3-7 dollars a bag. I needed like 80 bags to do what I wanted to. Was really gonna cut into my fun money.
Coincidentally the city sent a flyer yesterday that the sewer plant was giving away treated dried humus.....all you could haul. This is the best stuff in the world for amending poor soils.....I know, I have a horticultural degree.
Anyway....I took the wife....and the duece and headed off to the sewer plant. The guys there got quite a kick out of the truck.
I got two loads.....five tons.....of processed poop. My wife saved several hundred dollars.......and she commented how cool it was that we had the "big truck" to haul it with.

Any volunteers to come help me rototill it in today ?

And yes......I washed my duece immediately after I unloaded it.

Jimbo

Now that's what I call a result. You’re happy and the missus is happy!!!

In England, I've not known this to happen. They usually treat the sewage, pump it into tankers, then the tankers go to the fields, hook up to hoses, then a tractor pulls along a spreader and they spray it onto the field.

When we buy our vehicles, all the wife can think of is what a waste of money they are. But they always come in useful for something. I am surprised you got her to come along though. Did she wear ear defence?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While my wie rarely rides in my deuces, she has been resuced by them on more than one occasion. She found it amusing that I once showed up to change a tire and then just plugged it and aired it up. Same situation next time but the tire was junk. She was equally amazed when I popped out the air impact and went to town. Although she doesn't care to ride in them, they have earned their keep. Especially the crane considering how much junk it's loaded up for the chipper.

bozozimbo

The wifes motivation for riding in the duece was money saving.
She placates my idiocyncracies when its to her advantage.
When i first picked the truck up from the old El Toro Marine base, it was a 300 mile drive home.....she made it as far as Barstow.
I was suprised she made it that far.
She is a trooper though.....I have been a Pro Skydiver for 26 years and she has hung in there for all that time......good times and BAD.
3000 jumps and counting.

Jimbo

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can relate. My wife said NO WAY when i told her i wanted to get mine. So i drove it home when she was shopping. It sat in the back yard for 3 months before she noticed it. (camo paint and a wooded lot!) Then i got the deer in the headlight look with the statment "I WE AGREED YOU WOULD NOT BUY THAT THING!!!". I replied well it's been here 3 months it's too late now.
I needed to haul soil for the drive way a few months later. At $250 a dump truck load it would cost a prety penny. I picked it up myself for $12. This is where the dased deer look turned into a smile! She even helped me unload it. We can unload it in about 2 1/2 hours.
Then tropical storm allison came along! After she road in it through 7 feet of water (I've got the deep water fording kit) getting out of the flood she has decided the truck can do no wrong.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea a couple of hours with a shovel will wear you out!.
You should have seen to look on her face when the M52 5TON appeared in the driveway. I think i need to build a bigger doghouse so i'll have more leg room!

Blacksmoke

My wife HATES my truck for all the reasons that I love it: it's big, obnoxious, noisy, smokey, and is a diesel. She would have to admit though that it is handy. I have hauled a lot of hay, rocks, tractors, cows, etc. with it.

vtdeucedriver

I had some of my trucks before I met her. So when we met online and chatted, I had mentioned it then. When she came out to the house on a date, I had told her about my interests and she thought that it was fasinating to have such a interest. I told her, "see them there? There will be more, now that does not mean that I will sell that one and get another, there will be more!".........So my interest in Vietnam got her to Vegas for a Trans Assn Reunion after 2 months of dating. Though I get picked on occasionally about the trucks and that I am "Sick". When it comes time to a carshow, parade or a run for some icecream, she is all over them!!! She does like to attend the 2 big MV shows. More so because of a common thing we had when we were chatting online. She grew up with the daughter of George at Vt Commercial salvage/ George who I have known since I was 8. So she comes and they go shopping together at the malls and then she will return and camp out, sleeping on a cot in a M1950 wall tent. For the 1st time in 5 yrs, she moved one of my trucks in the yard, getting used to the clutch. She is hesitant about it but is willing to go for a drive and learn how to "Shift" a deuce...........I know I got a Keeper!!!

vtdeucedriver

Forgot............the deuce got real handy to have when it came to picking up 4 tons of wood pellets..........she and I unloaded the truck,,,,,,,,,,,had fun doing it too.

For some of you that dont know george, mil surplus dealer, lots of M37 stuff here on the east coast.

m3a1_ht

My wife had wanted me to remove three very large shrubs along side our house. They were about 50 years old and the largest was about 10 feet across. I thought about how I was going to do it for a while but the M62 method won out. I chained the bases and yanked them straight out of the ground. I had to go after a couple of major roots with a chain saw, but all in all, didn't break a sweat. I just swung them around to my pickup truck and dropped them right in for their trip to the county compost facility.

At one point she asked if I called the gas company for them to mark the lines first and I answered "No... but I'm not digging." She even thought that was funny - kind of. It's my hobby, but I do like it when an MV makes the missus happy.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Given my previous hobby was riding Harleys (15 plus years) that I sold due to the meds my doc has me on. It just took that half second away that you need to stay alive.

A good friend had been wanting one for the past five or six years. So I told him to have his wife call me and tell me it's OK and it's his. I had to ride it to his house. I was very nervous during the ride but felt the bike was going to get rode again.

Then I just kind of hung out around the house. Drove the wife nuts. And she works AND TRAVELS and it still drove her crazy. So she told me to go get a hobby. SHE EVEN GAVE ME THE MONEY for it.

After about three months, she decided to go for a ride with me. I'm NOT sure exactly what kind of response I got. More of a 'we'll see' type of thing. I GOTTA get the oil leak fixed and that will help a lot. She KNOWS about oil leaks on HER driveway... Go figure.

SO, I guess I got it lucky. SUPER wife. EXCELLENT Deuce (thx Jeff Sabo and my wife). And I'm basically retired. So life is good. I'm poor, but that's no biggie, if you know how to live. I'm the wheeler dealer, lets talk trade type of guy. Plus having the deuce is letting me do work for Habitat for Humanity by picking up a hot tub too large for either their trucks. But it will fit in mine!

And on Sunday I'm going to my first Patriot Guard Ride, where we are honoring a POW in Iraq. It will be a first and probably extremely hard for me, just gotta keep rolling on.

JRBAMATEX

She said I could bid on it. I bid on it and won. Then she got mad. Then I had trouble getting it home. Then we were both mad. Then it started running good and being in the Christmas parade and pulling trees out of the front yard and hauling in free flag stone and she was ok with it. Then she read DR's story about getting out of huricane ravaged Houston and she's cool with it. Even let me put it in the back yard so I can work on it whenever I want. I know it's only a temporary pass but it's still cool.

Thanks DR

FSBruva

Mine has no legal basis for camplaint (yet) but she's fine with the truck. She even offered to drive it into work one day so I could have the car!!!! And, she let me buy the M135, too!!

However, she does keep bringing up something about me owing her a boat... don't know what she's getting at, though...

Matt

FSBruva

Naw... She's thinking about a boat that she can get underway by herself... not one that can provide enough power for 9,000 homes.

Besides, she wouldn't be able to call me sir without laughing.

rdixiemiller

My wife tolerates my deuce. She refuses to ride in it, but she will tolerate it. She did put her foot down a couple of weeks ago, a parts deuce, an M105 trailer, and an extra M105 body all showed up in a 2 week period. She told me "no more, at least until some of this stuff gets disposed of."
Sigh......
Gonna be hard to tell her, but nothing is leaving any time soon!
Hmm..... 3 color camo and a 6 acre wooded lot.......
Maybe I'll just hide it!
Of course, I still have an extra M105 trailer to bring in, and it is desert tan.......
Oh well. Easier to get forgiveness rather than permission...

Desert Rat

JRBAMATEX,

You're most welcome. Stop on by anytime! It was actually our in-laws that needed convincing. After Rita there was no discussion about the "inappropriate purchase". 'Storm proved her value by action.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks