• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crazy prices?

devilphrog

Are MEP-8XX prices still going for crazy prices ? I just saw this on Facebook, and on top of it all, it's a 400HZ unit, and not advertised as such. $10k? You could buy a new, computer controlled genset for that kind of money. Nothing against the guy selling it, if he gets it good on him, but wow!

Screenshot_20180424-212350.jpg

Last edited:

jaxbill

I've seen some crazy prices but still some very reasonable prices out there. I think some people are just trying to make a buck before hurricane season. He might even get someone to buy that 400Hz unit with the buyer not even understanding the distinction.

impi

That specific unit is going on auction tommorow only - I think the lister is trying to see if he can get a buyer before he bids for it on the auction - obviously hasn't been paying attention to the frequency. There's a number of 813's going up for auction on 4/25 on govplanet. Starting bid is $3k. They're all fairly low hours.

Last edited:

devilphrog

Makes sense, but I'm in awe at the asking price... These things were like $12k new to Uncle Sam if I'm not mistaken?

Oh well, to each his own.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Not that the rules matter or anything, links to auctions that are not closed, are not allowed here on SS.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everybody has HOPE! I looked at a 939 series wrecker in Montana a guy had for sale so I went in to ask about it thinking it would be in the 10K price range and the fellow wanted 68K because the govt had only 1200 of them built and there were only a handful left, collectors items for sure!!!
KK

Guyfang

Staff member
Are MEP-8XX prices still going for crazy prices ? I just saw this on Facebook, and on top of it all, it's a 400HZ unit, and not advertised as such. $10k? You could buy a new, computer controlled genset for that kind of money. Nothing against the guy selling it, if he gets it good on him, but wow!

View attachment 726277
Yeah, well, I got something against him. He is purposely hiding the truth to unload a gen set he can't use. And if you read what the guy wrote, he claims that all you have to do is reduce the hertz so you can use the set for house or shop. And that is a lie. No, I got a problem with that, big time.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once a liar, always a liar. Lying by deception is the worst, but very common. Take your stupid purchase like a man, and deal with it. Let it be a lesson to you.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a guy local to me pulling the same thing. 'Turn the hertz down to 15% and you are can run a home... or so I read somewhere'. Uh huh.

CapePrep

There was also and 813 local to me that someone was selling on CL. The description was similar to the above. I emailed the seller(who I am pretty sure is on here now) and explained the situation to him. I told him if he didn't change the description I would flag the ad and make it inoperable. He did change the description, but still a tad misleading. There is something to be said for due diligence, but still honesty is the best policy. I also heard that a bunch of these 8X3's are heading to Puerto Rico to deal with their disaster. Hence some high prices.

Guyfang

Staff member
The easyest way to spot this type of fraud, and that's what it is, fraud, is that you do not see the 120 volt outlet. Dead give away.

devilphrog

I'm a pretty big proponent of doing research on the front end, especially after being burned in the past regarding purchases (Caveat Emptor, etc). I would surmise that the community of people willing to jump into the military generator market are those who do research on what they are getting into - hence the existence of this forum of the SS site. I do believe seller should be up front as well on what they have. Realistically, the guy probably should advertise the unit as 400Hz that can't be used for anything except starting an aircraft or 10kw resistive load, and it is best suited as a part out, despite only having 7 hours on it.

jamawieb

There was a guy local to me pulling the same thing. 'Turn the hertz down to 15% and you are can run a home... or so I read somewhere'. Uh huh.
Someone had that on Ebay too!!

Look around and you'll find good prices. I.E. I've got a 345 hour unit for sale on CL for $3900 right now. I try to make $500 on each unit so I don't try to make big hits on one unit like some people do. I'm like Wal-Mart, sell a bunch at a lower profit. LOL!

Ray70

Hey LITD.... funny, I recently responded ( nicely ) to the one you are talking about who says you can turn the frequency down 15% and run a building... tried to explain it to him nicely and he responds " keep reading below, I mention using an inverter " After looking again, he has 2 postings and one says use an inverter and the other does not... Problem is, won't an inverter capable of handling 15Kw end up costing more than the gen. itself??

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Um.. Yea, and its not that simple either (just add an inverter). That person is setting people up for some butt hurt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks