• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CTIS schrader valve and kneeling valve assembly

Aernan

My left rear tire is leaking down slowly over 2 days or so. I initially found a leak where the kneeling valve meets the valve stem for the tire. After disassembly re-assembly there I found the kneeling valve to be leaking. Cycling the valve seemed to only make things worse. Tonight I took it apart and cleaned the valve and no more leaks detected with soapy water. I used some WD40 and a bottle brush to clean out what looked like dark brown dirt or something. In two days we will see if I still have a slow leak.

Question:
In the TM 9-2320-365-24P Figure 158 I see what looks like a schrader valve in the valve stem. I have not taken apart any more wheels. Is this part optional or just missing on my vehicle?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If you put a schrader valve in the stem then air cant flow thru for the ctis. The inside of the stem is threaded to accept a schrader valve

Figure 158, parts 33, 34, 35 are available here.

Suprman is correct, the schrader valve inside the stem must be removed if using CTIS.

Not sure where you found your leak - the seal to the wheel is notorious for leaking.

3334.jpg

NevadaLMTV

Does anyone have a example of the internals of the Kneeling valve? What is contained in the valve other then the two round brass fittings? is there a spring? does anyone have a example of this spring if there is one inside? My Kneeling valve is leaking and my tire goes flat every two days also. I want to ditch it but I would like to know where I can find a "L" fitting to replace it with. I live in a small town and no one has any idea where to find such of a animal.

NevadaLMTV

Thank you for the quick response, yet after putting the "Eaton 673240" into google it came up with a right dif part. Could you point to a website or a place to purchase this item. Thank you in advance.
Genuine Eaton Right Angle Conn. P/N: 673240 Differential Parts

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have seen them for sale online. No one retailer I can recommend over another though. It is a public available part. Used on the rear wheels where there is no kneeling valve. I hate those kneeling valves. Nothing but trouble. Maybe you can fill the release screw mech with rtv and once it gets tacky then lock it down. Would have to be done off the truck though.

NevadaLMTV

I have two of them and only when it got cold did the front one go bad. Was thinking about filling it with liquid rubber and putting the cap (release valve) back on. The problem I have come across is I am not sure how it all fits together (how it works) with a diagram. I was hoping someone would have pictures of the inner working of the device so I can get a idea of what I need. I went to Fastenal to find a solid cap and they tried to look up the part number with nothing found. They told me to go to CASE and they to could not help me.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I haven’t opened one. Because one end screws onto a valve stem it’s not like a standard right angle that would be stocked at a hardware type store.

NevadaLMTV

Yes and there lies the problem, that is why I like the ole 2.5. Just a basic truck, Drove this truck all the way from Ft. Campbell and didnt have one problem. I let it sit for one winter doing the title and boom now I am searching to fix the problem. Do you believe there is a spring in the cap? I dont want to mess with the other one as they say if it aint broke dont fix it.

coachgeo

I have seen them for sale online. No one retailer I can recommend over another though. It is a public available part. Used on the rear wheels where there is no kneeling valve. I hate those kneeling valves. Nothing but trouble. Maybe you can fill the release screw mech with rtv and once it gets tacky then lock it down. Would have to be done off the truck though.
in another thread you mentioned to just get rid of them. If you have done this.... How have you did it in the past?

NevadaLMTV

I am going to go to get a box of springs on Monday and see if I can make something work until I can find that "L". I have been looking on google all day searching and still nothing. I will take pic of what I have and post them tomorrow so you can see what I am looking at if that is alright with you?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I think they just wear out. Seals contract in the cold. I have a lot of parts trucks. I usually swap the kneeling valves for regular elbows on crappy tires on the parts trucks. The new style ctis valve assemblies eliminate the elbow.

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am going to go to get a box of springs on Monday and see if I can make something work until I can find that "L". I have been looking on google all day searching and still nothing. I will take pic of what I have and post them tomorrow so you can see what I am looking at if that is alright with you?
I have tried unsuccessfully to repair the kneeling valve by disassembling and replacing the o ring. I will dig one out tomorrow and post some pictures. I replaced mine with the standard 90deg elbow used on the rear. I was able to have the local truck parts store order them.

NevadaLMTV

Well I have decided to take the plunge and just contact S/S and see if they can give me some direction for this elbow. If I get a answer I will post it and let you know what I find. I have been searching all day for this "L" and only the "L". Who know they (S/S) might just be nice enough to get me where I need to be. I will keep you posted and will post the pictures of the cap and valve that I pulled off. I just want this Kneeling valve to go away. I have other question about the Truck so I will be looking for some advice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks