• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV antenna brackets, legal issue?

MFF

Hi to everybody out in CUCV-land!
When I got my CUCVs (M1008 & M1009) they came without the antenna brackets. Now I'd like to get them back on.
My question: Are there legal issues in some states? Are they banned because of accident prevention reasons?

Thanks for helping!

Chris

frodobaggins

Hi to everybody out in CUCV-land!
When I got my CUCVs (M1008 & M1009) they came without the antenna brackets. Now I'd like to get them back on.
My question: Are there legal issues in some states? Are they banned because of accident prevention reasons?

Thanks for helping!

Chris
I'm laughing at you only a little, but you can put them back on without fear. No issues.:beer:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
During one of my monthly visits to see my mother at Sing-Sing, we briefly discussed her cell mate. She was in for 5-10 for driving a CUCV WITH antenna brackets installed. It was her husbands truck, and she had no idea. The judge threw the book at her anyway. I wouldn't risk it...

Last edited:

ralbelt

They are only illegal if the antenna mounted to it does not meet the maximum height requirement for the average bridge height for the bridges within a 300 mile radius of the vehicles point of registration.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ARKANSAS STATUTES
TITLE 27 MOTOR VEHICLES
27-20-201. Penalty.
Any owner of a MV shall not display an antenna mount provided by the military. If antenna mount is attached to vehicle when acquired, mount must be removed. Failure to abide by this statute shall result in DMV impounding and destroying said vehicle.

27-20-2002. Donation.
Arkansas and Louisiana have a reciprocal agreement concerning said equipped vehicles. You may donate your vehicle to a person in Louisiana.

Above was taken from the Arkansas DMV website. Donate your truck to me!! :beer:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just check the laws regarding how far things can stick out from the body of the vehicle, and whether it applies to things that are presumed part of the vehicle or not.

A good rule of thumb is if it is not farther out than the mirrors that is OK. But check the state and federal laws, might be painstaking to read through it but that is where the answer is.

Hightechken

My M1009 came with the brackets installed, I have not put military antennas on them yet, But plan to. I installed my ham radio VHF/UHF antenna on the cab rooftop.

saddamsnightmare

June 20th, 2011.

Just demil your CUCV by giving it to me, brackets, antennas and all, I'll see that it is safely disposed of as a museum piece. In the Meantime, get your hands on the ex M38A1 that was on EGAY as a USMC which had the slotted windshield for the 106 MM Recoilless rifle, the get the rifle and Davy Crockett round.....they'll forget all about your antenna issues.....:deadhorse: