• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Broken Down, Eaglle, CO

McCluskey

Hey all, some of you here know that I'm on my recovery trip for my M1009. She's having trouble, she died on me twice while driving. We think it might be the fuel filter or gelled fuel, we checked the air filter and that's ok. The engine would straight cut out while starting to accelerate, all electrical would work it was just the motor. Sat for about 20 mins then got it to start again. Got about 25 miles and it cut out again. Wasn't going to risk it cutting out in a worse spot so AAA towed me to Eagle which I was 15 miles short of. While unloading her from the wrecker, we saw a leak dripping down on the front drive shaft. Something black. She idled fine for the 2 hours it took AAA to get me, kept the heater going.

After a few tries this morning, we finally got her started and she idles for a few minutes. Noticed a decent coolant leak from one of the hoses, not the radiator, looks like just a loose clamp. And she died again.

Help? Suggestions?

steelandcanvas

Your leak sounds like an output shaft seal needs replacing, shouldn't have anything to do with the engine cutting out. Could be fuel filter, idles fine (low flow) but won't sustsain any high flow for running. I think thats where I'd start.

Sirblissfull

Do you have parts tools and TMs?

Tools and parts I might be able to help with I am sure in a city the size of Albuquerque there has to be an auto parts store open. Being a holiday of course I doubt they are open. TMs you can download since you have net access.

I am about 8 hours from you, however I am a Ford guy and completely unfamiliar with those vehicles.

Last edited:

Armada

Well from the looks of your M1009 in the pic, it's a miracle it ran at all! :p
Sounds like a fuel problem, restricted filter or getting air in the lines. Start with that.

While unloading her from the wrecker, we saw a leak dripping down on the front drive shaft. Something black.
What was it, oil?

McCluskey

I'm working off my Blackberry right now, so I don't think a TM pdf will open for me. My buddy traveling with me (in his m1009) has tools and small parts, no spare filters. The few mechanics that have answered the phone, none of them are diesel mechanics. I'm still placing calls trying to find someone. Were going to pull the fuel filter here soon.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It takes 5 minutes to change the fuel filter, try that.

To bleed the new filter, remove the pink wire on the injector pump, then crank the engine and open the bleeder on the top of the filter housing. Crank until you get a solid flow of fuel. Close the bleeder valve and reconnect the pink wire on the IP.

That's about it. Obviously, don't crank for over about 30 seconds at a time(so your starter motor does not get hot.

Sirblissfull

Its times like this that you have to remember your buddies vehicle has a working fuel filter.

So YOUR problem is solved but hes gonna need a new one.

:grd:

3dAngus

I would not ever pick up a military vehicle without a suitable towbar and something to tow it with in case of emergencies.

Even if you didn't have something to tow it with, someone near may, if you have the correct towbar to work with.

Probably old bad fuel, and a clogged fuel line or air leak within that line. Check the hoses for any cracks, especially at the connections where they are crimped down.

Full disclosure: I sell towbars, but I actually have them because it is first on my list.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The NAPA number for the fuel filter is FIL 3136.

AC Delco # TP1006

Blood_of_Tyrants

Start with the simple and easy stuff. 1. Replace the fuel filter. 2. Take the return check valve off and clean it out. 3. Get some fuel line and hose clamps and replace any flexible line that you find (if the above doesn't work).

m376x6

I'm 90 miles east of you. I start my four day rotation at work in a few hours and will work from 6 at night till 6 in the morning. 12 hour shifts can be tough. I have no clue about the diesels in Chevy's but if there is perhaps something I can help you out with let me know. I know and sometimes go to the NAPA warehouse out in Commerce City so if getting some part is important I can get it on my way to work and have it home near Idaho Springs in the morning. I have a fairly large nice and warm shop with a mechanics pit and overhead cranes if you can get the truck back here. I don't have a tow bar. Good luck, stay warm, it was -15 here last night. Keep us posted.

Regards,
M376X6

Oldfart

Is everyone safe and warm?

I skyped with my sis near Lake Granby about an hour ago and she was minus 12 F and said a little earlier she got a report that there were spots around the town of Granby that were minus 25 F. I would suspect that cold is sinking on down the river toward Eagle. Diesel mechanics are scarce in that part of the world and I think New Years day would make it impossible to find repair help. The CAT rental store in Granby used to have a good diesel mechanic, I don't know where he went when he left that shop. It sticks in my mind there is a CAT rental store in Eagle. You might try there when they open tomorrow.

McCluskey

Well, we got a new fuel filter in. Some diesel treatment in the tank and it seems to be running now. Drove it around a bit, hammer down since the roads were finally dry and it seems to be working. Not out of the woods yet, not home yet. Ill keep ya posted. Thanks everyone